APOD: This Comet Lovejoy (2014 Dec 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Re: APOD: This Comet Lovejoy (2014 Dec 25)

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:This comet's nucleus seems unusually bright as I look through images of other comets. Any idea why some comets have bright comas and some have bright nuclei?
You can't see the nucleus of this comet- or of any active comet. All you are seeing is coma and tail. The nature of the outgassing and dust ejection determines the radial density profile of the coma.
I was suspecting it would be hard to see something that small to identify it as a nucleus. Especially since most have such low albedo. It is almost surprising to me Rosetta's and Philae's cameras were able to contrast the darkness of the surface of Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko against the background darkness. Thanks for the insight on why comets appear so different.
bright comet.jpg
bright comet.jpg (2.51 KiB) Viewed 15908 times
diffuse comet.jpg
diffuse comet.jpg (1.31 KiB) Viewed 15908 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_nucleus
Make Mars not Wars

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Even a dark comet surface is bright compared to the total blackness of empty space, though. Also, for those two images you posted, you must keep in mind exposure times and magnification. The first one is likely a widefield film exposure of a comet from many years ago. The second looks more like either a fake comet or perhaps it is a telescopic view of the coma. Edit: Actually they could easily both be fake/illustrations. Either way, imaging method and processing matters a lot.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:07 pm

geckzilla wrote:Even a dark comet surface is bright compared to the total blackness of empty space, though. Also, for those two images you posted, you must keep in mind exposure times and magnification. The first one is likely a widefield film exposure of a comet from many years ago. The second looks more like either a fake comet or perhaps it is a telescopic view of the coma. Edit: Actually they could easily both be fake/illustrations. Either way, imaging method and processing matters a lot.
Thanks Geck!! The images just intended to illustrate my question. My New Years resolution is to be less confusing. :lol2:
Make Mars not Wars

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:19 pm

It does seem to me that the tail of (this) Comet Lovejoy is relatively faint. In the January image submissions thread there are several images of Comet Lovejoy, taken by different people, and in most of theses pictures the tail of the comet is rather faint and often rather non-blue. Consider this image by André van der Hoeven, for example. There is also this image by Albert Barr and this image by Juan Carlos Casado, as well as this image by John Chumak.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:48 pm

http://www.universetoday.com/115493/two ... -pictoris/
As this first was described back in 1987 this is probably old hat for many but I found it almost too-hard-to-believe. If I truly understood current technology I'd be flabbergasted. We are about to see what occurs on the surface of a comet as it interacts with the sun and now, I discover, we can detect exo-comets as they existed back the early solar system in another star system.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
explains exactly how I should feel. What would Charles Messier say about the prospects of this technology only 300 years after his exploits?
"No Comet?"
Another "Meyer" describes his time much more eloquently.
http://www.icq.eps.harvard.edu/meyer_icq29_3t6.pdf
Then again, maybe he would have said, "No Comment" to comets discovered around another sun? Age has some privileges. :ssmile:
Make Mars not Wars

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Ann wrote:It does seem to me that the tail of (this) Comet Lovejoy is relatively faint.
Ion trails are always faint. It's rare for the ion trail to even be visible to the eye. Dust trails are what get bright, and we don't see much dust with this comet. So the apparent brightness of this tail comes down to imaging technique more than anything else.

(I easily saw the comet with image intensified binoculars a few nights ago. But even with that, no tail was visible.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:It does seem to me that the tail of (this) Comet Lovejoy is relatively faint.
Ion trails are always faint. It's rare for the ion trail to even be visible to the eye. Dust trails are what get bright, and we don't see much dust with this comet. So the apparent brightness of this tail comes down to imaging technique more than anything else.

(I easily saw the comet with image intensified binoculars a few nights ago. But even with that, no tail was visible.)
Thanks for pointing out the faintness of the ion tail, Chris.

It still seems to me that this ion tail is strangely non-blue. Most images show it as gray. In André van der Hoeven's image, it was yellowish.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:52 am

Anything so dim would be prone to showing very little color and also very easy to shift color slightly during processing. Check out this picture... you can see weird color variation in the tail because the exposures were so long between shots that the tail was flowing and changing during them, not because it's a real color variation.
http://www.astrostudio.at/2_Bright%20Co ... 23_12C.jpg
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.