APOD: The Hunter, the Bull, and Lovejoy (2015 Jan 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Hunter, the Bull, and Lovejoy (2015 Jan 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:08 am

Image The Hunter, the Bull, and Lovejoy

Explanation: Heading north, Comet Lovejoy (C/2014 Q2) is putting on its best show for comet watchers now, with moonlight absent from mid-January's early evening skies. An easy binocular target and just visible to the unaided eye from dark sites, the comet sweeps across the constellation Taurus the Bull in this deep night skyscape. The starry scene was captured just two days ago on January 12, from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, planet Earth. In fact, the head of Taurus formed by the V-shaped Hyades star cluster points toward Lovejoy at the right. The comet's greenish coma and tail streaming in the anti-sunward direction also seem to have been shot from Orion's bow. You can spot the familiar stars of the nebula rich constellation of the Hunter on the left, and follow this link to highlight Comet Lovejoy in the wide field of view.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Re: APOD: The Hunter, the Bull, and Lovejoy (2015 Jan 14)

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Yea. Our inversion finally cleared and I was able to spot Lovejoy the last two nights. What a treat to have a guest in the sky. No bull – it does look like the Hunter just shot an arrow. In ancient times, this might have been as close to a "moving picture" as it got in the night sky. I do suppose "shooting stars" were pretty popular too. Now once they started "talkies" – that would make the natives nervous. :ohno:
Make Mars not Wars

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:17 pm

About what I saw....a hazy patch....Great pic!!!!!!!

:---[===] *

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Considering I can't see Comet Lovejoy in light polluted skies ( :cry: ), this image is very pertinent to me and I'm guessing many others. I always love seeing the constellations in the sky, so a camera shot like this that also shows the starfield is simply magical and emotional! :D