APOD: Launch to Lovejoy (2015 Jan 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Launch to Lovejoy (2015 Jan 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:06 am

Image Launch to Lovejoy

Explanation: Blasting skyward an Atlas V rocket carrying a U.S. Navy satellite pierces a cloud bank in this starry night scene captured on January 20. On its way to orbit from Space Launch Complex 41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, planet Earth, the rocket streaks past brightest star Sirius, as seen from a dark beach at Canaveral National Seashore. Above the alpha star of Canis Major, Orion the Hunter strikes a pose familiar to northern winter skygazers. Above Orion is the V-shaped Hyades star cluster, head of Taurus the Bull, and farther still above Taurus it's easy to spot the compact Pleiades star cluster. Of course near the top of the frame you'll find the greenish coma and long tail of Comet Lovejoy, astronomical darling of these January nights.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Launch to Lovejoy (2015 Jan 22)

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:11 am

Awesome Pic....I would go out, but too cold, and too wet, and overcast, or cloudy... :cry:

:---[===] *

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:30 pm

What a pretty picture of Orion, the Hyades, the Plleiades, and a comet and a rocket thrown in! And Sirius! My cup runneth over!

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 pm

The first time I think I've ever seen "Sky-roglyphics"!

If I read the heavens correctly it says, "At last a serious hunter bull pleads love joy". That's but pretty cool. Of course, now that I look again it might say, "Streaking dog or I am high - these sisters cometh". Wonder what that means?

Probably that I'd better stick to my day job. Awesome shot Lynn – love the "night scene captured"!!
Make Mars not Wars

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:28 pm

It's an excellent picture. :)

I did learn that you should never assume anything for certain, as in an image brought up through the "night scene captured" link I found that Lynn Hilborn is a man. I had thought that Lynn was only used as a female first name! :o

MagSec4
Asternaut

Post by MagSec4 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Why is there no planetary nebula around the Sirius star system, if Sirius B was not long ago as massive as possibly 7 solar masses?