APOD: Comet Lovejoy in a Winter Sky (2015 Jan 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Comet Lovejoy in a Winter Sky (2015 Jan 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:11 am

Image Comet Lovejoy in a Winter Sky

Explanation: Which of these night sky icons can you find in this beautiful and deep exposure of the northern winter sky? Skylights include the stars in Orion's belt, the Orion Nebula, the Pleiades star cluster, the bright stars Betelgeuse and Rigel, the California Nebula, Barnard's Loop, and Comet Lovejoy. The belt stars of Orion are nearly vertical in the central line between the horizon and the image center, with the lowest belt star obscured by the red glowing Flame Nebula. To the belt's left is the red arc of Barnard's Loop followed by the bright orange star Betelgeuse, while to the belt's right is the colorful Orion Nebula followed by the bright blue star Rigel. The blue cluster of bright stars near the top center is the Pleiades, and the red nebula to its left is the California nebula. The bright orange dot above the image center is the star Aldebaran, while the green object with the long tail to its right is Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy). The featured image was taken about two weeks ago near Palau village in Spain.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Comet Lovejoy in a Winter Sky (2015 Jan 28)

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 am

That's a lovely image, full of clusters and nebulas and other heavenly goodies, such a joyful comet in this case! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

hoohaw

Post by hoohaw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:25 am

I vividly remember the first time I ever saw Orion: looking out the window of my parents' house at the stars, and saying to myself, hey, I've seen that, in my astronomy book! It really exists! (I pronounced it oh-ree-on, I'd never heard it said.) That was 60 years ago.....

NCTOM

Post by NCTOM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Thank you for labeling images like this. I have found myself too busy to pursue this interest in astronomy the way I would like. These labels bring back information learned long ago and now long forgotten. If possible, please do it more often. I never tire of looking at the wonders of the astronomical creation (and identifying what I am seeing!).

Bellerophon
Ensign

Post by Bellerophon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Is the streak left of Orion's belt a meteor? Above and to the right of Comet Lovejoy I notice a couple of streaks that appear to be aircraft, so I'm not so sure about the "meteor."

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Bellerophon wrote:Is the streak left of Orion's belt a meteor? Above and to the right of Comet Lovejoy I notice a couple of streaks that appear to be aircraft, so I'm not so sure about the "meteor."
I think the triple streak represents some satellites glinting. It's hard to say what the one near Orion's belt is. I don't think there are any aircraft in the picture.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Guest30

Post by Guest30 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm

This is a cool image. Does it look like Orion is shooting a Lovejoy arrow to anyone else??? I'm imagining an epic action scene where Orion leaps backwards just in time to miss the scorpion's stinger and shoots his comet arrow almost straight up into the sky... :o

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:21 pm

Guest30 wrote:This is a cool image. Does it look like Orion is shooting a Lovejoy arrow to anyone else??? I'm imagining an epic action scene where Orion leaps backwards just in time to miss the scorpion's stinger and shoots his comet arrow almost straight up into the sky... :o
Since Orion is almost exactly on the opposite side of the sky from Scorpius, his best strategy is to stand still. Jumping either forward or backward will bring him closer to that stinger!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 pm

This is just an awesome shot!!! So much and a Comet....just WOW!!!! Great job!!

:---[===] *

Guest30

Post by Guest30 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Precisely, Orion jumped backwards to the other side of the sky (not after getting nicked, that's why he needed the antidote) ...and because he got nicked, his comet arrow missed and got launched out to a perturbed orbit... so the scorpion and Orion retreated to opposite sides of the sky... and they get a rematch in 8000 years (is the 8000 right??? that's when comet Lovejoy comes back??? or was it 800??) :)