APOD: Close Encounter with M44 (2015 Jan 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: APOD: Close Encounter with M44 (2015 Jan 29)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 am

The explanation states the image resulted from a 40 minutes exposure on January 27 (2015 by implication). In the image's Exif data that I was able to find it states "Date: January 27, 2015 2:40:14PM (timezone is 1 hour ahead of GMT)". On that date Italy was under Central European Time which is 1 hour ahead of GMT, so the image time will be the local time. Even allowing for 40 minutes exposure I cannot however see how it could have been dark enough to show the stars, etc. I am wondering therefore if the asteroid trail has simply been superimposed on a background image taken at other times. I apologise to the photographers if that is wrong but if so then the Exif data is very confusing (well it is to me :? ).

I have so often found confusing information in Exif data of APOD images that I am starting to think I'm wasting my time finding it as much of it seems so unreliable.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:47 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:The explanation states the image resulted from a 40 minutes exposure on January 27 (2015 by implication). In the image's Exif data that I was able to find it states "Date: January 27, 2015 2:40:14PM (timezone is 1 hour ahead of GMT)". On that date Italy was under Central European Time which is 1 hour ahead of GMT, so the image time will be the local time. Even allowing for 40 minutes exposure I cannot however see how it could have been dark enough to show the stars, etc. I am wondering therefore if the asteroid trail has simply been superimposed on a background image taken at other times. I apologise to the photographers if that is wrong but if so then the Exif data is very confusing (well it is to me :? ).

I have so often found confusing information in Exif data of APOD images that I am starting to think I'm wasting my time finding it as much of it seems so unreliable.
Hi David,

It would have been shortly before dawn in Italy, around 05:30 UTC on the 27th. I'd guess the exif data was from the time of processing.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks for your help Nitpicker. :)