APOD: M104: The Sombrero Galaxy (2015 Feb 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Re: APOD: M104: The Sombrero Galaxy (2015 Feb 05)

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 pm

geckzilla wrote:
foresthillsbob wrote:Can anyone identify what appears to be a pair of interacting galaxies just below and to the right (see arrow in this picture)?
http://i.imgur.com/BAhnRIO.png
2MASX J12400754-1140015
CXOU J124007.15-114001.8

Not much to go on. They aren't studied beyond noting that one exists and the other has an x-ray source within it. Most of these small/distant galaxies are anonymous.
Here is the best image of the pair that I have found

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:50 pm

OK...OFFICIALLY my favorite picture!!!! Orion not withstanding...this is just amazing!!!

I don't know if it is the cameras or processes, or lack of filters, or what...but where are the star forming regions???

I think Ann's observation of an Elliptical galaxy that has a ring of dust is interesting...

I also find it interesting that the dust appears to have been blown out from the middle...
Spectacular job!!!!!

Mactavish
Ensign

Post by Mactavish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:36 am

The last pint I had was about the same as all the others before it. But it was just as good. Think I’ll have another!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:14 am

Boomer12k wrote:OK...OFFICIALLY my favorite picture!!!! Orion not withstanding...this is just amazing!!!

I don't know if it is the cameras or processes, or lack of filters, or what...but where are the star forming regions???

I think Ann's observation of an Elliptical galaxy that has a ring of dust is interesting...

I also find it interesting that the dust appears to have been blown out from the middle...
Spectacular job!!!!!

There are no star forming regions in this galaxy, although there appear to be some stars hot enough to register (weakly) by the now-defunct ultraviolet-detecting space telescope GALEX. Such stars would likely be spectral class A, I think.

There is an interesting article here about M104 being two galaxies in one, one elliptical galaxy and one flat double ring structure not totally unlike the rings of Saturn, except that the one ring is made of stars only and the other one is made of stars and dust.
http://www.universetoday.com/94800/spit ... es-in-one/ wrote:

Although it might seem that the Sombrero is the result of a collision between two separate galaxies, that’s actually not thought to be the case. Such an event would have destroyed the disk structure that’s seen today; instead, it’s thought that the Sombrero accumulated a lot of extra gas billions of years ago when the Universe was populated with large clouds of gas and dust. The extra gas fell into orbit around the galaxy, eventually spinning into a flattened disk and forming new stars.
But that star formation must have ended long ago, and the Sombrero galaxy does not seem to be receiving any substantial new helpings of gas. In any case, its supermassive black hole may heat the gas that is there so that it loses its ability to form stellar nurseries of dense cool dusty gas. This galaxy is on a fast track toward the red and dead stage.

Yes, but take a look at those nice background interacting spiral galaxies! They are aglow with brilliant clusters of new stars. I think they look so beautiful. And it is fascinating that they are so similar in appearance too, both in size, structure and apparent stellar populations.

Ann
Color Commentator

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Like dancing ballerinas acting out M104's swan song

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:13 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Like dancing ballerinas acting out M104's swan song
Don't be so sure. It's gravitationally bound to at least one other galaxy, probably several. So eventually it will probably experience a collision or strong interaction, which means a new round of active star formation. Probably better to think of this galaxy as dormant.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Deathcon

Post by Deathcon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:50 pm

I was scanning around the image when I noticed some striking symmetry.
I cropped and broke the image down, as well as sharpened up and adjusted the light levels to see the objects better. The symmetry was even more evident.
In the next few pictures I made a copy of one side of the supposed symmetry and made it a transparent mask over the original image, which I then color inverted. When I take the transparent mask over either of the two sides the result is a uniform color indicating the two sets of stars are virtually identical in brightness and position from one another.

I made the copy of the bottom group of stars here and placed the mask to the right for comparison.
I placed the mask over the same group I copied to illustrate the effect.
Then placed the mask over the other group, showing it is identical as the first.
Can anyone try to explain this? Gravitational lensing, or some sort of post-processing mirror artifact?

rcolombari
Ensign

Post by rcolombari » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 pm

I would have been really happy to have a more noble version/excuse but unfortunately this is an artifact :cry:

fes352

Post by fes352 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 am

The photo shown is a reversed mirror image

Patherat

Post by Patherat » Sat May 05, 2018 4:12 am

What blows my mind is the fact that the stars on the far side of the disk are 50,000 years older then the one's on the near side. What is the measurement that is used to confirm this. Are the stars on the far side measurably shifted to account for their rotation around the axis of the galaxy?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 am

Patherat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:12 am What blows my mind is the fact that the stars on the far side of the disk are 50,000 years older then the one's on the near side. What is the measurement that is used to confirm this. Are the stars on the far side measurably shifted to account for their rotation around the axis of the galaxy?
The stars take millions of years to orbit the galaxy. 50,000 years represents much too small a part of that orbit to see in an image of this scale.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com