APOD: Exploring the Antennae (2015 Feb 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Re: APOD: Exploring the Antennae (2015 Feb 12)

Post by starsurfer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:34 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Boomer12k wrote:OK,
Time for Political Correctness to step in.... This a a beautiful shot, of a wonderful event...the MERGER of two galaxies, and the CREATION of new stars, and systems...planets...water...maybe even life....The Miracle that is The Universe.
It is not a COLLISION, or "Car Accident"...it is a Marriage of Galaxies...the making of a new "family of stars", a new Island Universe.
Not "galaxies in collision"....Galaxies in Merger...Not "violence"...But LOVE....the Gravitational "attraction"...they FELL FOR EACH OTHER.....(falling into each others gravitational influence)...
John saw Marsha across the vastness of Spacetime, and was struck by her beauty, and gravitated towards her. Marsha, in the same instance, felt the same, and fell head long and willingly towards John, accepting her fate to merge herself with him.....
SEE???? FALLING IN LOVE!!!!!!! :shock:

Happy Valentine's Day...
:---[===] *
I find that pleasantly poetic Boomer. I too prefer merger over collision when speaking of galactic encounters.

Bruce
This is also how I have felt towards interacting galaxies and don't like words such as "collision" or "violence" being applied to something so beautiful.

On a slightly related note, I guess there'll be lots of merging in the next few days. :wink: :wink:

LocalColor
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Exploring the Antennae (2015 Feb 12)

Post by LocalColor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:15 am

Boomer12k wrote:OK,
Time for Political Correctness to step in.... This a a beautiful shot, of a wonderful event...the MERGER of two galaxies, and the CREATION of new stars, and systems...planets...water...maybe even life....The Miracle that is The Universe.
It is not a COLLISION, or "Car Accident"...it is a Marriage of Galaxies...the making of a new "family of stars", a new Island Universe.
Not "galaxies in collision"....Galaxies in Merger...Not "violence"...But LOVE....the Gravitational "attraction"...they FELL FOR EACH OTHER.....(falling into each others gravitational influence)...
John saw Marsha across the vastness of Spacetime, and was struck by her beauty, and gravitated towards her. Marsha, in the same instance, felt the same, and fell head long and willingly towards John, accepting her fate to merge herself with him.....
SEE???? FALLING IN LOVE!!!!!!! :shock:

Happy Valentine's Day...
:---[===] *
Happy V-Day to you too. :D