APOD: Blue Tears and the Milky Way (2015 Apr 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Blue Tears and the Milky Way (2015 Apr 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:05 am

Image Blue Tears and the Milky Way

Explanation: Lapping at rocks along the shore of the Island of Nangan, Taiwan, planet Earth, waves are infused with a subtle blue light in this sea and night skyscape. Composed of a series of long exposures made on April 16 the image captures the faint glow from Noctiluca scintillans. Also known as sea sparkles or blue tears, the marine plankton's bioluminescence is stimulated by wave motion. City lights along the coast of mainland China shine beneath low clouds in the west but stars and the faint Milky Way still fill the night above. Over the horizon the galaxy's central bulge and dark rifts seem to echo the rocks and luminous waves.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Jarod997
Ensign

Re: APOD: Blue Tears and the Milky Way (2015 Apr 24)

Post by Jarod997 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:46 pm

I don't respond here often, but this image is very cool. If there is one thing I'd critique is that the stars were a bit shaky. Other than that, i like the detail and colours in the Milky Way, the blue in the algae and the background is a good composition of light and dark and well saturated in colour.

Excellent job to the photographer, and great pick by APOD. =8o)

canopia
Science Officer

Post by canopia » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:04 pm

A good composition, but the processing and blending of foreground and sky looks like a bit overcooked.

Mulutunnel

Post by Mulutunnel » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:36 pm

You're right, Canopia. Perspective that's off will always cause a photo (or painting) to leave the viewer thinking, "Something's not right, but I can't put my finger on it." In this case: if the viewer is looking down at a subject (the sea rocks) in a landscape composition the horizon must always be above the mid-line. In this one it's below. That said, it's still a great looking photo.

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm not an astrophotographer but I think today's APOD is a great example that light pollution doesn't have to compromise light appreciation. It almost adds to it in this case.

That reflects back to the photographer. Great work Rogelio! :clap:
Make Mars not Wars

RBANDREO

Post by RBANDREO » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Canopia & Mulutunnel,

Thanks for your comments! I can try to add some details about the image. It's not going to change the way it looks, but knowing what's going on maybe helps (or maybe not). Always glad to do that.

This is a crop from a 4 pane mosaic, so the framing happens exactly where I wanted it for the composition. More than a typical landscape image, it is displaying some sort of symmetry, continuity or "reflection" effect between the Milky Way and the blue tears, as the APOD text poetically describes. I have to say I originally did not see this symmetry, despite it was right in front of me, but the focus point isn't the land/sea features nor the sky, individually at least. You could say there's no focus point at all, and that's not unusual in my images. I originally had the horizon line right in the middle, it was easier to look at, but in the end I chose to crop a bit at the bottom because I liked it better.

Regarding the processing, the silk smooth look in the bottom part is of course due to the integration of several "stacked" images, long exposures on top of that. Having said that, the contrast has been clearly enhanced. Those low clouds reflecting the lights in the horizon were not easy to deal with, but you do what you can.

Thanks again!
RBA

aildoux
Ensign

Post by aildoux » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Nothing about Hubble HST on this 25th anniversary all the media are talking about? What's with APOD?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:01 pm

aildoux wrote:
Nothing about Hubble HST on this 25th anniversary all the media are talking about? What's with APOD?

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?t=34695
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Also this week's Nova sure did an amazing job of commemorating the anniversary.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/invi ... verse.html

It really brought out, to me, how little I know about the world of astronomy - behind the scenes. Also about the people who devoted their lives and reputations to bring us the images that shape our current understanding of the universe. APOD does that practically daily so I many kudos to it too on this 25th landmark anniversary.
Make Mars not Wars

liwash0296

Post by liwash0296 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Low clouds?

Phew

Post by Phew » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:04 pm

liwash0296 wrote:Low clouds?
I'd have guessed smog but for the explanation.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Phew wrote:
liwash0296 wrote:Low clouds?
I'd have guessed smog but for the explanation.
The warm yellow and brownish coloration of the clouds is largely influenced by the color of the city lights. China may have a smog problem in some parts, but it's not that bad.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.