APOD: Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow (2015 May 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow (2015 May 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun May 03, 2015 4:12 am

Image Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow

Explanation: How can the Moon rise through a mountain? It cannot -- what was photographed here is a moonrise through the shadow of a large volcano. The volcano is Mauna Kea, Hawai'i, USA, a frequent spot for spectacular photographs since it is arguably the premier observing location on planet Earth. The Sun has just set in the opposite direction, behind the camera. Additionally, the Moon has just passed full phase -- were it precisely at full phase it would rise, possibly eclipsed, at the very peak of the shadow. The Moon is actually rising in the triangular shadow cone of the volcano, a corridor of darkness that tapers off in the distance like converging train tracks. The Moon is too large and too far away to be affected by the shadow of the volcano. Refraction of moonlight through the Earth's atmosphere makes the Moon appear slightly oval. Cinder cones from old volcanic eruptions are visible in the foreground.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

hoohaw

Re: APOD: Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow (2015 May 03)

Post by hoohaw » Sun May 03, 2015 10:28 am

The New York Times has a relevant editorial this morning:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/opini ... pan-region

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun May 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Yeah. Conflicting viewpoints from many astronomers on that one. If anyone would like to discuss the politics involved in the TMT's construction I think this is perfectly acceptable per the rules as one of those rare instances where astronomy is directly affected by them.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun May 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Like a surf of clouds.... Looked like a beach at first...

:---(===) *

madman

Post by madman » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 am

You've shown this one before. Some years ago, I saved it and made it my laptop's wallpaper.

Remo

Post by Remo » Mon May 04, 2015 3:40 am

APOD Robot wrote:Image Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow

The Sun has just set in the opposite direction, behind the camera.
If the sun had just set behind the camera--and the camera was at the top of the mountain, then the shadow of the mountain would no longer be visible.

As an aside, when the sun sets on the top of a 4km mountain like Mauna Kea, the end point of the shadow will be about 4 to 4.5 degrees above the horizon (depending, in part on atmospheric refraction). Plenty of room to fit the 0.5 degree moon.

As a bonus, thought you folks might like to see a video of the moon rising in Mauna Kea's shadow during a partial lunar eclipse. Link's here: http://www.twilightlandscapes.com/Twili ... nrise.html

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 04, 2015 8:48 am

I get a white screen saying -- Click here to install the following Active X control 'Quick Time' from 'Apple Inc'...
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.