APOD: Jupiter, Ganymede, Great Red Spot (2015 May 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Jupiter, Ganymede, Great Red Spot (2015 May 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri May 15, 2015 4:22 am

Image Jupiter, Ganymede, Great Red Spot

Explanation: In this sharp snapshot, the Solar System's largest moon Ganymede poses next to Jupiter, the largest planet. Captured on March 10 with a small telescope from our fair planet Earth, the scene also includes Jupiter's Great Red Spot, the Solar System's largest storm. In fact, Ganymede is about 5,260 kilometers in diameter. That beats out all three of its other fellow Galilean satellites, along with Saturn's Moon Titan at 5,150 kilometers and Earth's own Moon at 3,480 kilometers. Though its been shrinking lately, the Great Red Spot's diameter is still around 16,500 kilometers. Jupiter, the Solar System's ruling gas giant, is about 143,000 kilometers in diameter at its equator. That's nearly 10 percent the diameter of the Sun.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

4321lynx

Re: APOD: Jupiter, Ganymede, Great Red Spot (2015 May 15)

Post by 4321lynx » Fri May 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Great Red Spot's diameter is still around 16,500 kilometers.
The Great Red Spot ( GRS ) , as we all know,is an oval and Wiki states at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter
The GRS rotates counter-clockwise, with a period of about six Earth days[73] or 14 Jovian days. Its dimensions are 24,000–40,000 km east-to-west and 12,000–14,000 km north-to-south. The spot is large enough to contain two or three planets the size of Earth. At the start of 2004, the Great Red Spot had approximately half the longitudinal extent it had a century ago, when it was 40,000 km in diameter. At the present rate of reduction, it could potentially become circular by 2040, although this is unlikely because of the distortion effect of the neighboring jet streams.[74] It is not known how long the spot will last, or whether the change is a result of normal fluctuations

LDeane

Post by LDeane » Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 pm

The description says the photo was taken with a small telescope. Can you elaborate? What size? type? Cause that's an impressive picture!

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri May 15, 2015 2:33 pm

LDeane wrote:The description says the photo was taken with a small telescope. Can you elaborate? What size? type? Cause that's an impressive picture!
I can't find this specific picture of Jupiter on Damian's site (it probably hasn't been updated with the image yet) but there are comparable ones there and here is a page which tells about all of his telescopes and observing locations. http://www.damianpeach.com/observatory.htm
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

LDeane

Post by LDeane » Fri May 15, 2015 2:45 pm

geckzilla wrote:
LDeane wrote:The description says the photo was taken with a small telescope. Can you elaborate? What size? type? Cause that's an impressive picture!
I can't find this specific picture of Jupiter on Damian's site (it probably hasn't been updated with the image yet) but there are comparable ones there and here is a page which tells about all of his telescopes and observing locations. http://www.damianpeach.com/observatory.htm
Thank you geck!

WordGeek

Post by WordGeek » Fri May 15, 2015 2:56 pm

It should be "Though it's been shrinking lately" not "Though its been shrinking lately."

Craine
Ensign

Post by Craine » Fri May 15, 2015 4:21 pm

WordGeek wrote:It should be "Though it's been shrinking lately" not "Though its been shrinking lately."
I am not even sure if it's is correct. Perhaps it should be it has, as the statement is clearly about the past.

Idaho Astro

Post by Idaho Astro » Fri May 15, 2015 5:37 pm

I know I'm going to be accused of pedantry, but can we PLEASE stop referring to Jupiter as a "gas giant?" It's mostly (by mass or volume, take your pick) liquid. Just because hydrogen is a gas under terrestrial conditions, doesn't mean those conditions are relevant inside Jupiter.

Also, while Ganymede is, indeed, larger than the moons listed, it's worth noting that it's also larger than Mercury.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Fri May 15, 2015 7:00 pm

If you click on his name, you go to his site, it is really good...and he uses a variety of scopes and cameras....basically 12-14inch Celestron. Small by some standards...it is really the CAMERA that makes the difference I think.

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Fri May 15, 2015 7:05 pm

This is just an amazingly wonderful and beautiful shot!!! I need to get me a 1,000 dollar camera some time... :shock:

The crispness and focus, et al, all just awesome. The detail is spectacular. The level of texture is really great...and you can see surface on Ganymede, and not just "fuzz"...

Truely Outstanding Job, Damian...I am... :mrgreen:

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Idaho Astro wrote:I know I'm going to be accused of pedantry, but can we PLEASE stop referring to Jupiter as a "gas giant?" It's mostly (by mass or volume, take your pick) liquid. Just because hydrogen is a gas under terrestrial conditions, doesn't mean those conditions are relevant inside Jupiter.
Haha. You want to change an astronomy term? Good luck with that. I'll keep complaining about planetary nebula and you can complain about gas giant. ;)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri May 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Boomer12k wrote:If you click on his name, you go to his site, it is really good...and he uses a variety of scopes and cameras....basically 12-14inch Celestron. Small by some standards...it is really the CAMERA that makes the difference I think.
There are lots of inexpensive cameras that can do this. Planets don't place high technical requirements on cameras the way deep sky images do.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

hoohaw

Post by hoohaw » Fri May 15, 2015 10:47 pm

WordGeek wrote:It should be "Though it's been shrinking lately" not "Though its been shrinking lately."
As my son would, unfortunately, write, hey, your right!

chanio
Asternaut
AKA: Alberto

Quoting?Re:APOD: Jupiter, Ganymede, Great Red Spot (2015 May

Post by chanio » Fri May 15, 2015 11:48 pm

4321lynx wrote:
Great Red Spot's diameter is still around 16,500 kilometers.
The Great Red Spot ( GRS ) , as we all know,is an oval and Wiki states at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter
The GRS rotates counter-clockwise, with a period of about six Earth days[73] or 14 Jovian days. Its dimensions are 24,000–40,000 km east-to-west and 12,000–14,000 km north-to-south. The spot is large enough to contain two or three planets the size of Earth. At the start of 2004, the Great Red Spot had approximately half the longitudinal extent it had a century ago, when it was 40,000 km in diameter. At the present rate of reduction, it could potentially become circular by 2040, although this is unlikely because of the distortion effect of the neighboring jet streams.[74] It is not known how long the spot will last, or whether the change is a result of normal fluctuations

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Mon May 18, 2015 12:57 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Idaho Astro wrote:I know I'm going to be accused of pedantry, but can we PLEASE stop referring to Jupiter as a "gas giant?" It's mostly (by mass or volume, take your pick) liquid. Just because hydrogen is a gas under terrestrial conditions, doesn't mean those conditions are relevant inside Jupiter.
Haha. You want to change an astronomy term? Good luck with that. I'll keep complaining about planetary nebula and you can complain about gas giant. ;)
There is nothing wrong with planetary nebula! They are nebulae and some of the brighter ones happen to look like a planet through small telescopes. :D

Hooba Dooba

Post by Hooba Dooba » Mon May 18, 2015 4:38 pm

I'll start calling gas giants 'liquid giants' if you'll start calling stars 'plasma supergiants'.