APOD: Venus and Jupiter are Far (2015 Jul 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: APOD: Venus and Jupiter are Far (2015 Jul 03)

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:03 am

Cousin Ricky wrote:I understand well that there is often a fine line between pedantry and correcting someone who is just plain wrong, but asking for a correctly oriented astrophoto is not even wrong.
It happens rather frequently, but usually with deep space imagery. This doesn't bother me so much as when someone comes to tell us that the moon is wrong because it was shot in the southern hemisphere or along the equator or something. If there's some standard north up, fine, but northern-hemisphere-centrism is tiresome.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

mccolingrath

Post by mccolingrath » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:44 am

Why does Venus look like it was cut and pasted into the final image? There is an obvious square around Venus which has a slightly different background color than the rest of the image.

Bubbles Not

Post by Bubbles Not » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:18 pm

mccolingrath wrote:Why does Venus look like it was cut and pasted into the final image? There is an obvious square around Venus which has a slightly different background color than the rest of the image.
APOD Robot wrote:...stack of images[/url]...

FullMoon
Asternaut

Post by FullMoon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:12 am

I've admired APOD for a long time. There are so many superb images of the universe, be it faraway galaxies or our own solar system. And then our own sun and moon, which constitute much of my work.

Jupiter looks particularly nice with its marble-like stripes. No big spot to spoil it in this shot.