APOD: Comet Dust over Enchanted Rock (2015 Aug 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Comet Dust over Enchanted Rock (2015 Aug 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:05 am

Image Comet Dust over Enchanted Rock

Explanation: Dusty debris from periodic Comet Swift-Tuttle was swept up by planet Earth this week. Vaporized by their passage through the dense atmosphere at 59 kilometers per second, the tiny grains produced a stream of Perseid meteors. A bright, colorful Perseid meteor flash was captured during this 20 second exposure. It made its ephemeral appearance after midnight on August 12, in the moonless skies over the broad granite dome of Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, central Texas, USA. Below the Perseid meteor, trees stand in silhouette against scattered lights along the horizon and the faint Milky Way, itself cut by dark clouds of interstellar dust.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Re: APOD: Comet Dust over Enchanted Rock (2015 Aug 14)

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:41 am

What are all the bright specks seen in front of the ground and the tree?

hoohaw

Post by hoohaw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:46 am

It is marvelous to look at the rift in the Milky Way and think how short a time ago it was, that we did not know what the Milky Way, much less the rift, actually was. A pearly band across the sky, and from the southern hemisphere two bits of it got loose somehow. What WAS this band? Astronomers finally discovered that the rift was not an absence of light, it was actual absorption of light by intervening material - interstellar dust.
We've come a long way, baby!

Asterhole

Post by Asterhole » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:58 am

Guest wrote:What are all the bright specks seen in front of the ground and the tree?
Poorly done Photoshopping. They are stars...

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Asterhole wrote:
Guest wrote:What are all the bright specks seen in front of the ground and the tree?
Poorly done Photoshopping. They are stars...
They're hot pixels, which are a common problem with the camera's sensor. They're in the sky too but they are camouflaged because they look like stars.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Nice....but what a lonely place....
I guess all the better to see the night sky....
:---[===] *

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:51 pm

"Jared Tennant" in the credit brings up the 'About' section in his website but, apart from a photo of Jared, there seems to be no information about him. I wonder if it may be a problem with my setup that I should be able to read information on him there but I cannot?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:36 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:"Jared Tennant" in the credit brings up the 'About' section in his website but, apart from a photo of Jared, there seems to be no information about him. I wonder if it may be a problem with my setup that I should be able to read information on him there but I cannot?
Well, they say a photo is worth a thousand words. Maybe that's the point. The contact section contains some oddly personal information!
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:58 pm

geckzilla wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:"Jared Tennant" in the credit brings up the 'About' section in his website but, apart from a photo of Jared, there seems to be no information about him. I wonder if it may be a problem with my setup that I should be able to read information on him there but I cannot?
Well, they say a photo is worth a thousand words. Maybe that's the point. The contact section contains some oddly personal information!
Thanks geckzilla :).

When I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 I was unable to access any of my files and even the Internet. I had to have the computer fixed buy a repair shop but only got the basic Windows 7 reinstalled and so I have been reinstalling programs etc., so when I seemed unable to find any information in the 'About' section I did wonder if there was something still needing to be installed. I did not try the 'Contact' section so thanks for mentioning that. It's a relief that I can now access my files and the Internet :!: