APOD: Jupiter and Venus from Earth (2015 Oct 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Jupiter and Venus from Earth (2015 Oct 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:10 am

Image Jupiter and Venus from Earth

Explanation: It was visible around the world. The sunset conjunction of Jupiter and Venus in 2012 was visible almost no matter where you lived on Earth. Anyone on the planet with a clear western horizon at sunset could see them. Pictured above in 2012, a creative photographer traveled away from the town lights of Szubin, Poland to image a near closest approach of the two planets. The bright planets were separated only by three degrees and his daughter striking a humorous pose. A faint red sunset still glowed in the background. Jupiter and Venus will be at it again this week before sunrise, passing under two degree from each other -- and even with bonus planet Mars nearby.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: Jupiter and Venus from Earth (2015 Oct 25)

Post by Beyond » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:26 am

Cheerios, to the 'humorous pose' link. As for the conjunction, the usual clouds, trees or whatever, gets in the way of that.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

gadieid
Ensign

Post by gadieid » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:29 am

Very nice pose! What took you so long to submit it? Anyway it seems like yesterday so I went to check my own archives and found some of my own photos from back than
http://www.thevenustransit.com/2012/03/ ... art-2.html
Gadi Eidelheit
My astronomy blog:Astronomy4You

DNH

Post by DNH » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:44 am

It's a great picture but why is it published for the third time on APOD?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 am

DNH wrote:It's a great picture but why is it published for the third time on APOD?
It is a well-loved rerun and today is rerun day. :)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:15 am

geckzilla wrote:
DNH wrote:It's a great picture but why is it published for the third time on APOD?
Yep 8-)

Even though one thinks it did not quite work out as planned...

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:21 pm

I remember this image. And the EROS touchdown image. and so many others and so many to come. Like Pluto's moons
Wolf Kotenberg

Tekija

Post by Tekija » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:17 pm

RedFishBlueFish wrote:
geckzilla wrote:It's a great picture but why is it published for the third time on APOD?
This image is on an orbit with an average period of about 15 months.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120318.html
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140817.html

Next appearance is predicted around March 2017 or so!

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:07 pm

if the bright spots on CERES turn out to be quartz deposits, can I pick an APOD ?
Wolf Kotenberg

Al-manac
Asternaut

Post by Al-manac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:52 am

Sigh. Art before reality again. There are so many beautiful images of the actual event available from a couple of mornings ago, but the choice here is an unreal "oooh". Can I go outside and see something like this? No. I don't demand the absolute truth (there is none), but at least it would be nice to mention that this was "how I remembered the event in my mind's eye" as opposed to pretending to represent a real single picture. I do love art, and this image is definitely evocative, but this webpage has the word "picture" in the title of the page.

e-Van
Asternaut

Post by e-Van » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:01 am

Al-manac wrote:Sigh. Art before reality again. There are so many beautiful images of the actual event available from a couple of mornings ago, but the choice here is an unreal "oooh". Can I go outside and see something like this? No. I don't demand the absolute truth (there is none), but at least it would be nice to mention that this was "how I remembered the event in my mind's eye" as opposed to pretending to represent a real single picture. I do love art, and this image is definitely evocative, but this webpage has the word "picture" in the title of the page.
I agree 100%. Would it be that hard for this site to have a kind of educational mission ? I mean, most of the astronomy newbies who saw this picture will be now hunting these 2 planets, in the hope of seeing them as bright and big as our own moon ! No it's not possible to see them that way.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:45 am

e-Van wrote:
Would it be that hard for this site to have a kind of educational mission ? I mean, most of the astronomy newbies who saw this picture will be now hunting these 2 planets, in the hope of seeing them as bright and big as our own moon!
It is an educational mission to encourage astronomy newbies to hunt for these 2 planets in the predawn hours, in the hope of seeing them as bright & big & close as they get (only every 5 years or so)! (Those with cameras & daughters can see if they can make a new APOD showing the juggling of 3 planets.)
APOD Robot wrote:Image Jupiter and Venus from Earth

Jupiter and Venus will be at it again this week before sunrise,
passing under two degree from each other -- and even with bonus planet Mars nearby.
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:23 pm

e-Van wrote:
Al-manac wrote:Sigh. Art before reality again. There are so many beautiful images of the actual event available from a couple of mornings ago, but the choice here is an unreal "oooh". Can I go outside and see something like this? No. I don't demand the absolute truth (there is none), but at least it would be nice to mention that this was "how I remembered the event in my mind's eye" as opposed to pretending to represent a real single picture. I do love art, and this image is definitely evocative, but this webpage has the word "picture" in the title of the page.
I agree 100%. Would it be that hard for this site to have a kind of educational mission ? I mean, most of the astronomy newbies who saw this picture will be now hunting these 2 planets, in the hope of seeing them as bright and big as our own moon ! No it's not possible to see them that way.
APOD would be incredibly boring if all it ever featured was images which faithfully reproduce what the human eye sees. The human eye can't see diddly squat in the dark.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:44 pm

geckzilla wrote:
APOD would be incredibly boring if all it ever featured was images which faithfully reproduce what the human eye sees. The human eye can't see diddly squat in the dark.

• "in the dark" :?:
http://www.wired.com/2011/03/light-pollution-map/ wrote:
Help make a better map of global light pollution
Science 23 March 11 by Dave Mosher

"With half of the world's population now living in cities, many urban dwellers have never experienced the wonderment of pristinely dark skies and maybe never will," says the Globe at Night. "This loss, caused by light pollution, is a concern on many fronts: safety, energy conservation, cost, health and effects on wildlife, as well as our ability to view the stars."
Art Neuendorffer

Deee92
Ensign

Post by Deee92 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 am

Here's how my cellphone thought it looked.
Though it was a lot more beautiful really, and the fact that I could clearly see two planets (and glimpse the third one occasionally) at dawn was overwhelming.
Attachments
Venus-Jupiter-Mars
Venus-Jupiter-Mars
"Oh my God - it's full of stars!"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:08 am

It did look like that to the cellphone. I was thinking earlier about some other posts made recently as well many past incidents involving a comparison of the human eye and an artificial detector. It is not as if light itself is changed when it enters the artificial detector. It simply abides by its own nature. Ergo, both are accurate in their own way. Human nature dictates that we believe our own eyes are somehow superior in this regard.

Deee92
Ensign

Post by Deee92 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:29 am

A shame that it should be so. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder - sadly, not in the beholder's artificial detector.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:08 pm

An intelligent, sentient computer one day may beg to differ with you.

Deee92
Ensign

Post by Deee92 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:01 pm

For that I shall eagerly be waiting. :ssmile: