APOD: Nebulae in Aurigae (2015 Dec 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Nebulae in Aurigae (2015 Dec 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:05 am

Image Nebulae in Aurigae

Explanation: Rich in star clusters and nebulae, the ancient constellation of the Charioteer (Auriga) rides high in northern winter night skies. Composed from narrow and broadband filter data and spanning nearly 8 Full Moons (4 degrees) on the sky, this deep telescopic view shows off some of Auriga's celestial bounty. The field includes emission region IC 405 (top left) about 1,500 light-years distant. Also known as the Flaming Star Nebula, its red, convoluted clouds of glowing hydrogen gas are energized by hot O-type star AE Aurigae. IC 410 (top right) is significantly more distant, some 12,000 light-years away. The star forming region is famous for its embedded young star cluster, NGC 1893, and tadpole-shaped clouds of dust and gas. IC 417 and NGC 1931 at the lower right, the Spider and the Fly, are also young star clusters embedded in natal clouds that lie far beyond IC 405. Star cluster NGC 1907 is near the bottom edge of the frame, just right of center. The crowded field of view looks along the plane of our Milky Way galaxy, near the direction of the galactic anticenter.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Nebulae in Aurigae (2015 Dec 01)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:10 am

Why does the title use the genitive form of Auriga?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:28 am

Today's APOD is a beautifully detailed picture of the area around IC 405 and IC 410. It is also a very red compromise between RGB and narrowband imagery.
IC 405. RGB photo: Emil Ivanov
Emil Ivanov has taken a beautiful RGB photo of IC 405. His picture shows obvious blue tendrils of reflection nebulosity.

IC 410. Narrowband image by Emil Ivanov.

Emil Ivanov has also taken a narrowband image of IC 410. Parts of this nebula look blue-green in Emil Ivanov's image due to the presence of ionized oxygen.

Today's APOD is a compromise between RGB and narrowband imagery in such a way that neither blue reflection nebulosity nor blue-green oxygen emission becomes visible. It is a symphony in red. It is beautiful, but it is arguably not the best way to show the different components of the nebulas in question.

Ann

EDIT: As you said, Chris. The name of the constellation is Auriga.
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 am

Maybe call it "The Lobes"????
Or
"The Lobster Head Nebula"????

Great Image!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:03 am

Boomer12k wrote:Maybe call it "The Lobes"????
Or
"The Lobster Head Nebula"????

Great Image!

Funny you should mention it...

Ann
Color Commentator

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:17 am

Today's APOD is opportune for, on this date in 1887, Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet" was published, introducing Sherlock Holmes to the world.

Design, or serendipity?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:31 pm

RedFishBlueFish wrote:
Today's APOD is opportune for, on this date in 1887, Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet" was published, introducing Sherlock Holmes to the world.

Design, or serendipity?
A Study in Scarlet
by Arthur Conan Doyle
CHAPTER II. THE SCIENCE OF DEDUCTION
I found incidentally that [Holmes] was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the Solar System. That any civilized human being in this nineteenth century should not be aware that the earth travelled round the sun appeared to be to me such an extraordinary fact that I could hardly realize it.

"You appear to be astonished," he said, smiling at my expression of surprise. "Now that I do know it I shall do my best to forget it."

"To forget it!"

"You see," he explained, "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones."

"But the Solar System!" I protested.

"What the deuce is it to me?" he interrupted impatiently; "you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle#Spiritualism.2C_Freemasonry wrote: <<Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle (22 May 1859 – 7 July 1930) had a longstanding interest in mystical subjects. In 1887 he joined the Society for Psychical Research and was also initiated as a Freemason (26 January 1887) at the Phoenix Lodge No. 257 in Southsea. He was a member of the renowned supernatural organisation The Ghost Club. In 1919, the magician P. T. Selbit staged a séance at his own flat in Bloomsbury; Doyle declared the clairvoyance manifestations to be genuine. In 1920, Doyle debated the claims of Spiritualism with the notable sceptic Joseph McCabe at Queen's Hall in London.

Sir Arthur became involved with Spiritualism to the extent that he wrote a novella on the subject, The Land of Mist, featuring the character Professor Challenger. The Coming of the Fairies (1922) appears to show that Conan Doyle was convinced of the veracity of the five Cottingley Fairies photographs (which decades later were exposed as a hoax). He reproduced them in the book, together with theories about the nature and existence of fairies and spirits.

In 1922, the psychical researcher Harry Price accused the spirit photographer William Hope of fraud. Doyle defended Hope, but further evidence of trickery was obtained from other researchers. Doyle threatened to have Price evicted from the National Laboratory of Psychical Research and claimed if he persisted to write "sewage" about spiritualists, he would meet the same fate as Harry Houdini. Price wrote "Arthur Conan Doyle and his friends abused me for years for exposing Hope." Because of the exposure of Hope and other fraudulent spiritualists, Doyle led a mass resignation of eighty-four members of the Society for Psychical Research, as they believed the Society was opposed to spiritualism.

Doyle and spiritualist William Thomas Stead were duped into believing Julius and Agnes Zancig had genuine psychic powers, both claiming that the Zancigs used telepathy. In 1924 Julius and Agnes Zancig confessed that that their mind reading act was a trick and published the secret code and all the details of the trick method they had used, under the title Our Secrets!! in a London newspaper.

Richard Milner, an American historian of science, has presented a case that Doyle may have been the perpetrator of the Piltdown Man hoax of 1912, creating the counterfeit hominid fossil that fooled the scientific world for over 40 years. Milner says that Doyle had a motive—namely, revenge on the scientific establishment for debunking one of his favourite psychics—and that The Lost World contains several encrypted clues regarding his involvement in the hoax.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Why does the title use the genitive form of Auriga?
Also - should it be "Nebulārum?" Genitive forms are "greek" to me and Latin to many others but it's an interesting question that made me look. In English - Nebulas in Auriga?

I also think it's interesting AE Auriga is a runaway.
Make Mars not Wars

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:I also think it's interesting AE Auriga is a runaway.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Also the description mentions that the image includes the nebula NGC 1931 and the open cluster NGC 1907. Both objects are not included in the image.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Why does the title use the genitive form of Auriga?
  • 1) In order to trip off the tongue.

2) Minimalist change from original post: Aurigae Nebulae
Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:
Also - should it be "Nebulārum?" Genitive forms are "greek" to me and Latin to many others but it's an interesting question that made me look. In English - Nebulas in Auriga?

Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:33 pm

neufer wrote:2) Minimalist change from original post: Aurigae Nebulae
I'd say Nebulae Aurigarum. But then my question would have been why is the title in Latin?

If I'd written the title, I'd have gone with Nebulas in Auriga. Perfectly correct and maximal accessibility.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:2) Minimalist change from original post: Aurigae Nebulae
I'd say Nebulae Aurigarum. But then my question would have been why is the title in Latin?

If I'd written the title, I'd have gone with Nebulas in Auriga. Perfectly correct and maximal accessibility.
I would have written "Nebulae in Auriga".

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:

If I'd written the title, I'd have gone with: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
Art Neuendorffer

Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
AKA: Fred

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:01 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
neufer wrote:

If I'd written the title, I'd have gone with: Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
That would increase interest in astronomy for some in the audience.
Wolf Eyes.jpg
Wolf Eyes.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
Make Mars not Wars

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:56 am

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:
Mu Columbae. Source: Palomar Observatory/Wikisky.
Indeed. And the star that "ran the other way" as AE Aurigae was kicked out of its birthplace near the Trapezium in Orion is Mu Columbae. Mu Columbae is not a Flaming Star, since it is not involved in any nebulosity, but it is on the other hand one of the apparently bluest stars in the sky, with a B-V index of about -0.3.

Ann
Color Commentator