APOD: Mystery Feature Now Disappears in... (2016 Mar 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
just-a-16yrold

Re: APOD: Mystery Feature Now Disappears in... (2016 Mar 07)

Post by just-a-16yrold » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 pm

What if it is just a land form under the lake and the lake is just rising or falling in its level?

just-a-16yrold

Post by just-a-16yrold » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:49 pm

What if it is just a landform under the lake and the lake is simply rising or falling in its level?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:05 pm

just-a-16yrold wrote:What if it is just a land form under the lake and the lake is just rising or falling in its level?
Since this is a radar image, based on ranging data, I presume that any change in the surface level would be detectable.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:20 pm

Are they sure those are land masses? If they were a less dense floating solid on a liquid hydrocarbon lake and the density of the liquid was fluctuating per season wouldn't they change buoyancy? Of course then the liquid hydrocarbon might expand also and rise its surface level which wasn't detected.

Still a mystery...
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

TLGr
Asternaut

Post by TLGr » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:24 pm

The missing link in Titan's lake? Actually nothing is missing, it is disappearing from sight because of rotation of the Plaint casting light on the visible Hydrocarbon above the lake's level, in the top inset, point in question, is not visible because of the isthmus low profile in the umbra light of the planet.
Notice the brightness of the second inset down it is brightest in light of the four insets, the "Mysterious Missing" is very visible in this inset. The third inset has a little less light and the "Mysterious Missing" is fading out, The lowest inset has even less light and the "Mysterious Missing" has disappeared from sight or it is not showing on the surface.
Shadows of light on the Carbon 'land-scape' surface indicate the rotation of the Planet, the top inset is very little exposed with light consequently not seen by the camera , the next down shows light coming from near the Zenith, the brightest, that is why the 'Mystery' is showing, the third Inset down indicates the light coming form low in the south barley showing the Mistry island, the fourth inset the light is coming from the low north with low lighting and no exposure to our "Mysterious Missing" it's evident the photos were not taken in a direct sequence.
The april 26, 2007 Image is it not shown? that is some confusion to the dates of the other insets. I'm curious as to how this little speck of the surface was noticed missing, in the lower inset there is a large portion of the land scape missing on it's west or left side of the picture.

Thomas L Groot
TLG5719@centurylink.net

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:33 pm

Thomas, the imagery was made using radar. Hence, the spacecraft itself provided the light (in the form of microwaves) in order to create the image.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/c ... siniradar/

edit: someone please do correct me if I am wrong here. I wrote it the best I knew how.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:07 pm

You are correct, these are Radar Images and not dependent on visible light so no visible light shadowing effect would be possible.
Although radar shadowing can occur, this is usually manifested as missing data rather than Flat data

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:32 pm

This was fun to watch :)
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"