APOD: Milky Way and Planets Near Opposition (2016 May 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Milky Way and Planets Near Opposition (2016 May 21)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat May 21, 2016 4:17 am

Image Milky Way and Planets Near Opposition

Explanation: In this early May night skyscape, a mountain road near Bursa, Turkey seems to lead toward bright planets Mars and Saturn and the center of our Milky Way Galaxy, a direction nearly opposite the Sun in planet Earth's sky. The brightest celestial beacon on the scene, Mars, reaches its opposition tonight and Saturn in early June. Both will remain nearly opposite the Sun, up all night and close to Earth for the coming weeks, so the time is right for good telescopic viewing. Mars and Saturn form the tight celestial triangle with red giant star Antares just right of the Milky Way's central bulge. But tonight the Moon is also at opposition. Easy to see near bright Mars and Saturn, the Full Moon's light will wash out the central Milky Way's fainter starlight though, even in dark mountain skies.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

NCTom

Re: APOD: Milky Way and Planets Near Opposition (2016 May 21)

Post by NCTom » Sat May 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Beautiful picture. Would have made a great rollover opportunity.

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Sat May 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Based on the position of Mars (and Saturn too), this picture was taken on the night of May 1, 2016 — indeed, it's early May as described. Looking at the larger version you get by clicking the picture on the main page, you can also see a small, slightly greenish patch in northern Ophiuchus representing comet 252P/LINEAR. It's a few degrees below a line between Alpha Ophiuchi (Rasalhague) and Kappa Ophiuchi.

Here's a copy that I labeled (relatively sparsely) to indicate comet 252P and a few other things.

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Joe Stieber wrote: Here's a copy that I labeled (relatively sparsely) to indicate comet 252P and a few other things.
Thanks! That's great!

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Joe Stieber wrote:Based on the position of Mars (and Saturn too), this picture was taken on the night of May 1, 2016 — indeed, it's early May as described. Looking at the larger version you get by clicking the picture on the main page, you can also see a small, slightly greenish patch in northern Ophiuchus representing comet 252P/LINEAR. It's a few degrees below a line between Alpha Ophiuchi (Rasalhague) and Kappa Ophiuchi.

Here's a copy that I labeled (relatively sparsely) to indicate comet 252P and a few other things.
Thanks for the labeled version Joe :) as I had wrongly thought that Antares was the brightest object in the triangle. Your date that the image was taken is also correct as according to its Exif data that I was able to obtain it was taken "May 1, 2016 2:34:34AM (timezone not specified)".

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon May 23, 2016 6:48 pm

This is very akin to a previous APOD which may have had a similar difficulty to find the right words to title such a great photo. Opposing, without going over the top, and questioning the description that the Milky Way and our solar system may be nearing its closest proximity, does this title do the image justice?

Would a comma help or should I go "to the corner" for nitpicking? :oops: or comma-enting? :wink:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"