APOD: Milky Way Over the Spanish Peaks (2016 May 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Milky Way Over the Spanish Peaks (2016 May 24)

Post by Ann » Wed May 25, 2016 2:19 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote: Just curious... when you post in a forum like this, do you switch your browser or computer to English, along with the spellcheck dictionary, or do you have a sort of hybrid dictionary with English and Swedish all mixed together (which might lead to många fel, nej?)
The expression många fel, nej would be a dead giveaway that you are not a native Swedish speaker. It is the "nej" that gives you away. I think you can say "mange fejl, ikke" in Danish, but you shouldn't ask me about that.
Interesting. Yeah, if I were reading something I'd commonly expect ikke. But I picked up on the nej parallel with English watching the Danish TV show Rita (about a teacher, FWIW). They use nej in that construction all the time. Younger people. I wonder if it's an idiomatic shift from the small world of the Internet, in a country where essentially everyone speaks English. Not common in Sweden, I guess (would you use inte, or a completely different construction?) I'm not sure how idioms move between the Scandinavian languages.
I haven't seen Rita. The last time I saw something in Danish, it was Matador. I loved it, but they didn't exactly speak 21st century Danish in that one. I must admit I have never heard the Danish "nej" used the way you describe it, but I don't watch Danish TV the way I used to, for the simple reason that I watch so little TV in the first place. And I don't have any young Danish friends.

As for the Swedish translation of "many mistakes, no?" I would say, "många fel, va?". I would write, "många fel, inte sant/ eller hur?".
Most of my experience with Swedish is watching Bergman movies, which isn't exactly modern conversational Swedish!
Maybe not. We don't usually say, "Vem är du?" "Jag är Döden" (pronounced, in his case, "dödn").

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 25, 2016 2:54 am

neufer wrote:
othermoons wrote:
How sure are we of the location of our galactic center based on observations?
Even if we knew nothing about Sgr A*, the center also becomes very obvious in infrared observations. The obscuring dust can make it look like the center is uncertain, but in fact if you were able to view the MW from the outside of our dust lanes, it would also be quite obvious there. Indirect observations of Sgr A* just make it that much more accurate.

Spitzer infrared image of the Milky Way nucleus.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed May 25, 2016 6:49 pm

In the explanation it states "the large colorful region surrounding the star Rho Ophiuchus" but that is confusing me because according to the annotation that star has just a bit of blue around it which I would not describe as a "large colourful region". If it had not been mentioned in the explanation I would have thought that star was visually little noticeable in the image. :?

othermoons

Post by othermoons » Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 25, 2016 7:43 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:In the explanation it states "the large colorful region surrounding the star Rho Ophiuchus" but that is confusing me because according to the annotation that star has just a bit of blue around it which I would not describe as a "large colourful region". If it had not been mentioned in the explanation I would have thought that star was visually little noticeable in the image. :?
Haha, yeah, twice now I have annotated the position of Rho Oph. Still not sure why the whole complex is named after it. The nebula straddles two constellations with Scorpius getting most of it. I'm thinking maybe the star and its reflection nebula are relatively more noticeable in telescopic views with just eyeballs and no camera.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed May 25, 2016 7:47 pm

geckzilla wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:In the explanation it states "the large colorful region surrounding the star Rho Ophiuchus" but that is confusing me because according to the annotation that star has just a bit of blue around it which I would not describe as a "large colourful region". If it had not been mentioned in the explanation I would have thought that star was visually little noticeable in the image. :?
Haha, yeah, twice now I have annotated the position of Rho Oph. Still not sure why the whole complex is named after it. The nebula straddles two constellations with Scorpius getting most of it. I'm thinking maybe the star and its reflection nebula are relatively more noticeable in telescopic views with just eyeballs and no camera.
Thanks geckzilla for your help which is much appreciated :).

distinct cousin

Post by distinct cousin » Thu May 26, 2016 4:16 pm

neufer wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Most of my experience with Swedish is watching Bergman movies,
Well...that explains a lot...
"you make me raff." Mr. Sakamoto, the CEO of Assan Motors in Gung Ho