APOD: GW151226: A Second Confirmed Source ... (2016 Jun 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Re: On placeholders

Post by starsurfer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
starsurfer wrote:
ems57fcva wrote:I agree with the earlier posters who did not like the use of a placeholder for this APOD. Certainly there should have been a note mentioning the news conference, but a normal picture. Then this video could have been the next day's APOD.
I didn't see any problem with the placeholder, it made things even more exciting!
Maybe the first time. But not this time, when it was pretty obvious what the announcement was going to be, and it was something expected. Placeholders should be reserved only for the most stupendous news... which this was not.

It just wasted a day of APOD for much of the world.
I think the best policy is to have expectations low. Also anything that makes geckzilla say "Bwoop" is a bonus. :lol2: 8-)

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: GW151226: A Second Confirmed Source

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
starsurfer wrote:
ems57fcva wrote:
I agree with the earlier posters who did not like the use of a placeholder for this APOD. Certainly there should have been a note mentioning the news conference, but a normal picture. Then this video could have been the next day's APOD.
I didn't see any problem with the placeholder, it made things even more exciting!
Maybe the first time. But not this time, when it was pretty obvious what the announcement was going to be, and it was something expected. Placeholders should be reserved only for the most stupendous news... which this was not. It just wasted a day of APOD for much of the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day wrote:
<<Boxing Day is a holiday celebrated on the day following Christmas Day. In Britain, it was a custom for tradespeople to collect "Christmas boxes" of money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good service throughout the year. This is linked to an older English tradition: since they would have to wait on their masters on Christmas Day, the servants of the wealthy were allowed the next day to visit their families. The employers would give each servant a box to take home containing gifts, bonuses and sometimes leftover food.>>
Art Neuendorffer