APOD: Galaxy and Planets Beyond Pines... (2016 Jun 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Galaxy and Planets Beyond Pines... (2016 Jun 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:11 am

Image Galaxy and Planets Beyond Bristlecone Pines

Explanation: What's older than these ancient trees? Nobody you know -- but almost everything in the background of this picture. The trees are impressively old -- each part of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest located in eastern California, USA. There, many of the oldest trees known are located, some dating as far back as about 5,000 years. Seemingly attached to tree branches, but actually much farther in the distance, are the bright orbs of Saturn (left) and Mars. These planets formed along with the Earth and the early Solar System much earlier -- about 4.5 billion years ago. Swooping down diagonally from the upper left is the oldest structure pictured: the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy -- dating back around 9 billion years. The featured image was built from several exposures all taken from the same location -- but only a few weeks ago.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

heehaw

Re: APOD: Galaxy and Planets Beyond Pines... (2016 Jun 19)

Post by heehaw » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:26 am

Lovely image of the interstellar dust --- the chemicals of the interstellar gas include organic chemicals, but the mix is clearly not suggestive of interstellar life; the lack of liquid water presumably is why Fred Hoyle's intelligent black cloud is merely fiction. We're a lively planet in a very dull neighborhood.

cf_mielke@unioncab.com

Post by cf_mielke@unioncab.com » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Perhaps I'm just being fussy, but the Milky Way is not the oldest thing in the image: the dark space between the stars takes that place.

jcan8015@yahoo.com

Post by jcan8015@yahoo.com » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks so much for these wondrous images. The Bristlecone Forest seems such an other-worldly place already, and the effect of the Milky way beyond is just tremendous! :D

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:59 pm

cf_mielke@unioncab.com wrote:Perhaps I'm just being fussy, but the Milky Way is not the oldest thing in the image: the dark space between the stars takes that place.
Does spacetime itself have an age?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 pm

geckzilla wrote:
cf_mielke@unioncab.com wrote:Perhaps I'm just being fussy, but the Milky Way is not the oldest thing in the image: the dark space between the stars takes that place.

I would think so, as it started with the Singularity opening, and then proceeds to present... it would be the same age as the Universe itself... my guess...

The TRICK is.... not SHOWING your age.... :lol2:

Last edited by Boomer12k on Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Great image. LOTS going on... and the "Christmas Tree" effect is awesome....

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Boomer12k wrote:
geckzilla wrote:

I would think so, as it started with the Singularity opening, and then proceeds to present... it would be the same age as the Universe itself... my guess...

The TRICK is.... not SHOWING your age.... :lol2:

That's how I see it, too. Spacetime was born in the Big Bang.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:38 pm

If spacetime defines age, then how does it, itself have an age?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:13 pm

As a common ancestor the Bristlecone Pine leaves us in the dust. Likewise, the Milky Way and the universe have timelines so dissimilar that comparison may be irrelevant.
Bristlecone Pine.jpg
Still I look at the Bristlecone Pine in my backyard and think it could be possible humanity will be among the stars when it looks like the one pictured today. Where will life on Earth be in another 5000 years? Artificially intelligent? Or just another source of dust. :|
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:43 pm

geckzilla wrote:If spacetime defines age, then how does it, itself have an age?
I don't think it does. Spacetime defines the coordinate system of the Universe. But it isn't itself a physical thing, just a mathematical model. But the void, the vacuum, the physical things that are contained in spacetime are reasonably seen as having ages, perhaps as old as the Universe, but perhaps not. The oldest stuff in this image is probably the hydrogen that is everywhere- both luminous in the many stars, and the stuff that's there but not visible in an optical image. Just because the stars are only a few billion years old doesn't mean their ingredients are.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:41 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
I don't think it does. Spacetime defines the coordinate system of the Universe. But it isn't itself a physical thing, just a mathematical model. But the void, the vacuum, the physical things that are contained in spacetime are reasonably seen as having ages, perhaps as old as the Universe, but perhaps not. The oldest stuff in this image is probably the hydrogen that is everywhere- both luminous in the many stars, and the stuff that's there but not visible in an optical image. Just because the stars are only a few billion years old doesn't mean their ingredients are.
Really, Chris? I think the picture at left illustrates what I understand to be at least an approximation of Einstein's idea of matter in spacetime.

People are often asking where in the universe the Big Bang took place. Was it that way, or maybe in the opposite direction? The answer is that everything in the universe has its origins in the Big Bang, including spacetime.

But I see what you mean by the hydrogen being the oldest constituent of the universe. At the birth of the universe everything was so crowded together that it is hard to talk about a void. Perhaps dark energy is what created the void?

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:08 am

Ann wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
Really, Chris? I think the picture at left illustrates what I understand to be at least an approximation of Einstein's idea of matter in spacetime.
Well, it illustrates the mathematical model we use to describe the coordinate system of the Universe. But something physical? I'm not so sure.
People are often asking where in the universe the Big Bang took place. Was it that way, or maybe in the opposite direction? The answer is that everything in the universe has its origins in the Big Bang, including spacetime.
Nevertheless, that doesn't require spacetime to be some physical thing that we could see or measure.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Art Neuendorffer

Jimbo Jones

Post by Jimbo Jones » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:08 pm

What is the green light on the left? Aurora or just "airglow"?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Jimbo Jones wrote:
What is the green light on the left? Aurora or just "airglow"?
Just "airglow", Jimbo.
Art Neuendorffer