APOD: NGC 6814: Grand Design Spiral Galaxy... (2016 Jun 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Re: APOD: NGC 6814: Grand Design Spiral Galaxy... (2016 Jun 21)

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:25 pm

geckzilla wrote:The same way they automatically breathe. It's not hard! Down the rabbit hole of non-free will, we go.
Exactly how we know to carry out certain functions is up in the air. Pheromones? But when and how we breathe seems less uncertain. When I can't it's usually because I'm apneathetic. :ssmile:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm

But it's enough to say that all the important things got their own little patterns to follow because it just so happened to work, whatever pathway it takes.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:52 pm

geckzilla wrote:But it's enough to say that all the important things got their own little patterns to follow because it just so happened to work, whatever pathway it takes.
I think I see what you are saying. Just because we don't know "why" is no reason to jump to conclusions?
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:20 pm

geckzilla wrote:The same way they automatically breathe. It's not hard! Down the rabbit hole of non-free will, we go.
They don't automatically breathe if their mouths and noses aren't cleared of mucus etc.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Evermore wrote:
They don't automatically breathe if their mouths and noses aren't cleared of mucus etc.
Your point?

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:19 pm

APOD Robot wrote:this beauty and beast are cataloged as NGC 6814

blucat

Post by blucat » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:49 pm

What I love about this picture, and a lot of the new very hi resolution pictures, is the 3D effect. You can actually see (or is it just me?) that the centre is 'lower' or further away than the outside. I looks like the thing is really whirl-pooling 'down'. I just love it. I first noticed it when Cassini took pictures of Jupiter. The Voyager pictures just didn't show it, they looked 2D. So to see the outside of the massive storms or 'hurricanes' much higher than the centre really impressed me. Here is the first one I saw like this:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA07783.jpg

This image is too big for this page, but you need that to see the detail. Zoom into the top middle part of the image, there are two storms beside each other, one with a white centre and one red. You can really see the outside of the storms is much higher.

Well, maybe I'm easily impressed!! :-)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:30 pm

blucat wrote:What I love about this picture, and a lot of the new very hi resolution pictures, is the 3D effect. You can actually see (or is it just me?) that the centre is 'lower' or further away than the outside. I looks like the thing is really whirl-pooling 'down'.
It's just you. The center is actually closer than the outside. A spiral galaxy has a large, somewhat spherical central region surrounded by a large flat disc. So the central region is bulging out towards us. The illusion of a whirlpool is also just that- an illusion. Nothing is falling in towards the center.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 pm

geckzilla wrote:
Evermore wrote:
Your point?
Automatic is not always automatic.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Evermore wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
Evermore wrote:
Your point?
Automatic is not always automatic.
It's still automatic. The cells still communicate... and they are waiting for the airway to clear.