APOD: Sagittarius Sunflowers (2016 Jun 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Sagittarius Sunflowers (2016 Jun 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:10 am

Image Sagittarius Sunflowers

Explanation: These three bright nebulae are often featured in telescopic tours of the constellation Sagittarius and the crowded starfields of the central Milky Way. In fact, 18th century cosmic tourist Charles Messier cataloged two of them; M8, the large nebula left of center, and colorful M20 near the bottom of the frame The third, NGC 6559, is right of M8, separated from the larger nebula by dark dust lanes. All three are stellar nurseries about five thousand light-years or so distant. The expansive M8, over a hundred light-years across, is also known as the Lagoon Nebula. M20's popular moniker is the Trifid. In the composite image, narrowband data records ionized hydrogen, oxygen, and sulfur atoms radiating at visible wavelengths. The mapping of colors and range of brightness used to compose this cosmic still life were inspired by Van Gogh's famous Sunflowers. Just right of the Trifid one of Messier's open star clusters, M21, is also included on the telescopic canvas.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Sagittarius Sunflowers (2016 Jun 24)

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:44 am

Inspiring.... think how big the Sunflower Seeds must be....

Great pic...

Tyger
Asternaut

Post by Tyger » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:19 pm

How many people have noticed that it looks like a giant reaching out with a hand to grab a sunflower? I've been visiting this website for quite some time and wanted to say thanks for all the great photos. It is certainly different from when I was doing graduate work in astronomy way back when.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:19 pm

I was trying to post here this morning, but my post disappeared one way or another... Anyway, I was trying to say that while I always admire the scientific significance of narrowband images, their aesthetic value often leaves me a lot less impressed.

But this image definitely wins me over! It has an impressionistic, vividly chromatic, hallucinatory quality, like something out of a dream. Vincent van Gogh dreaming of his own sunflowers in space!

Ann
Color Commentator

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Ann wrote:I was trying to post here this morning, but my post disappeared one way or another... Anyway, I was trying to say that while I always admire the scientific significance of narrowband images, their aesthetic value often leaves me a lot less impressed.

But this image definitely wins me over! It has an impressionistic, vividly chromatic, hallucinatory quality, like something out of a dream. Vincent van Gogh dreaming of his own sunflowers in space!

Ann
Some of my posts disappear too. I don't wonder why, as I have a very scientific mind.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Evermore wrote:
Ann wrote:
I was trying to post here this morning, but my post disappeared one way or another... Anyway, I was trying to say that while I always admire the scientific significance of narrowband images, their aesthetic value often leaves me a lot less impressed.

Some of my posts disappear too. I don't wonder why, as I have a very scientific mind.
They don't disappear :roll:

You simply "Preview" edit them until they a just right... and then forget to "Submit" them.
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:26 pm

No, Evermore's posts definitely disappear from time to time. Another guest user I can't send private messages to heading down that old path again. Ann's issue is definitely different.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:04 am

Very interesting

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:16 am

Boomer12k wrote:Inspiring.... think how big the Sunflower Seeds must be....

Great pic...

Thanks, Inspiring Yes| for M21?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:22 am

neufer wrote: They don't disappear :roll:

You simply "Preview" edit them until they a just right... and then forget to "Submit" them.
Probably, in my case.

Ann
Color Commentator

Andy01

Post by Andy01 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:57 am

Ann wrote:I was trying to post here this morning, but my post disappeared one way or another... Anyway, I was trying to say that while I always admire the scientific significance of narrowband images, their aesthetic value often leaves me a lot less impressed.

Ann
Nice sentiments there Ann - Mind if I quote you on that!
Cheers
Andy Campbell (Author of the Photo)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:53 am

Andy01 wrote:

Ann
Nice sentiments there Ann - Mind if I quote you on that!
Cheers
Andy Campbell (Author of the Photo)
You're welcome! :D

Ann
Color Commentator