APOD: Cylindrical Mountains on Venus (2016 Oct 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
heehaw

Re: APOD: Cylindrical Mountains on Venus (2016 Oct 16)

Post by heehaw » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:02 pm

I think some are experiencing, well, Venereal, er, dis-ease.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:40 am

bystander wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Strange, I couldn't find a single malformed link.
Yeah. Weird. About half the links when I first tried were broken. A kind of broken I've seen before, where they looked like a local link with a URL tacked on the end. I was wondering if the vertical scale was exaggerated, and couldn't get to the "featured image" without editing the link. Fine now, though. Must have just caught the server acting up briefly.
I fixed the links here last night after seeing Chris's first post. The APOD page source has many links preceded with a space (href=" ). Everywhere that occurred in the source, the link here was preceded with 'http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/%20'.
I updated the script to get rid of those spaces in the future. I'm sure some silly mistakes will still happen, but at least a single space will be fixed.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:55 am

Astronymus wrote:Looks like rock plates wobbling above calderae. As Venus has no earthlike tectonics this may be the way für the planet to release "pressure".

Venus may be a pressure cooker. Would explain all those vapors in the atmosphere. :wink:
Yes, Venus might be a pressure cooker.

I think that whether or not Venus is a pressure cooker now, my guess is that it used to be like that in the past. Having no plate tectonics may indeed lead to the buildup of extreme stress in the crust.

I, too, think that the extremely thick greenhouse-gas atmosphere of Venus is most likely the product of massive volcanic eruptions.

Some time ago I saw a BBC documentary about huge extinction events in the Earth's past. A lot of attention was given to the catastrophe that befell the Earth about 65 million years ago, when a large space boulder hit our planet. Clear signs of that catastrophe can be found in an iridium layer in the bedrock in many places on the Earth.

Fascinatingly, though, the BBC documentary claimed that no signs of other major meteorite impacts have been found in the bedrock of the Earth, even though our planet has experienced several other extinction events. The largest known extinction event, known as the Permian-Triassic extinction event, which killed some 90-96% of all species of the Earth, including the highly successful trilobite, may have been caused by an extremely violent and prolonged series of volcanic eruptions on the Earth, specifically in what is now Siberia.

Volcanism may be worse on Venus than on the Earth, thereby possibly explaining not only the terrible atmosphere of Venus but also, perhaps, the cylindrical mountains.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:24 am

Ann wrote:Fascinatingly, though, the BBC documentary claimed that no signs of other major meteorite impacts have been found in the bedrock of the Earth, even though our planet has experienced several other extinction events.
At least, not until last week.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Ann wrote:Fascinatingly, though, the BBC documentary claimed that no signs of other major meteorite impacts have been found in the bedrock of the Earth, even though our planet has experienced several other extinction events.
As this study is still controversial there were already theses that a a massive impact event might trigger volcanic cataclysms. Such events in the past may not be traceable today as earth tectonic could destroy evidence through subduction of marine floor.
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Astronymus wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
As this study is still controversial there were already theses that a a massive impact event might trigger volcanic cataclysms. Such events in the past may not be traceable today as earth tectonic could destroy evidence through subduction of marine floor.
The connection between the impact and the climate change is arguably controversial. The likelihood that the evidence indicates a major impact (which is what Ann was talking about) is not.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Astronymus wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote: At least, not until last week.
The connection between the impact and the climate change is arguably controversial. The likelihood that the evidence indicates a major impact (which is what Ann was talking about) is not.
That's what I meant. In my non-native speaker's style. :mrgreen:
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Once upon a time there was an idea to cook up a Venusian delight. Wonder how it turned out?
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:51 pm

geoffrey.landis wrote:There are, I'm told, good reasons for vertical exaggeration, but I really wish that this would be explicitly called out when it is done.
This!