APOD: Arp 299: Black Holes in Colliding... (2016 Nov 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Arp 299: Black Holes in Colliding... (2016 Nov 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:06 am

Image Arp 299: Black Holes in Colliding Galaxies

Explanation: Is only one black hole spewing high energy radiation -- or two? To help find out, astronomers trained NASA's Earth-orbiting NuSTAR and Chandra telescopes on Arp 299, the enigmatic colliding galaxies expelling the radiation. The two galaxies of Arp 299 have been locked in a gravitational combat for millions of years, while their central black holes will soon do battle themselves. Featured, the high-resolution visible-light image was taken by Hubble, while the superposed diffuse glow of X-ray light was imaged by NuSTAR and shown in false-color red, green, and blue. NuSTAR observations show that only one of the central black holes is seen fighting its way through a region of gas and dust -- and so absorbing matter and emitting X-rays. The energetic radiation, coming only from the galaxy center on the right, is surely created nearby -- but outside -- the central black hole's event horizon. In a billion years or so, only one composite galaxy will remain, and only one central supermassive black hole. Soon thereafter, though, another galaxy may enter the fray.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Arp 299: Black Holes in Colliding... (2016 Nov 01)

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:47 am

Arp 299, or NGC 3690 A and B.
NASA, ESA, the Hubble Heritage (STScI/AURA)-ESA/Hubble Collaboration,
and A. Evans (University of Virginia, Charlottesville/NRAO/Stony Brook University)

In visible light, Arp 299 looks like this. In the image at left, it would be the upper left galaxy (NGC 3690A) that has an active black hole.

Ann
Color Commentator

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:11 am

Ann wrote: In the image at left, it would be the upper left galaxy (NGC 3690A) that has an active black hole.
Sorry for asking a simple question, but what is the difference between an 'active black hole' and an 'inactive black hole'? Or was the wording just descriptive?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:56 am

Guest wrote:
Ann wrote: In the image at left, it would be the upper left galaxy (NGC 3690A) that has an active black hole.
Sorry for asking a simple question, but what is the difference between an 'active black hole' and an 'inactive black hole'? Or was the wording just descriptive?
An active black hole is a hole that is currently consuming matter. A torus of material forms around it, and matter spins faster and faster in that torus, heating the matter to very high temperatures. Eventually the matter crosses the event horizon of the black hole and is effectively "lost" from the rest of the universe. The black hole emits jets when matter falls into it.

An inactive black hole doesn't do much at all. It just sits there.

Ann
Color Commentator

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Ann wrote:
Guest wrote:
An active black hole is a hole that is currently consuming matter. A torus of material forms around it, and matter spins faster and faster in that torus, heating the matter to very high temperatures. Eventually the matter crosses the event horizon of the black hole and is effectively "lost" from the rest of the universe. The black hole emits jets when matter falls into it.

An inactive black hole doesn't do much at all. It just sits there.

Ann
So an inactive black hole basically 'doing nothing', would not be detectable. Would this be considered dark matter?

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Post by Markus Schwarz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Guest wrote:So an inactive black hole basically 'doing nothing', would not be detectable. Would this be considered dark matter?
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
You can detect an inactive black hole by its gravitational influence on surrounding visible matter. This video shows the measured orbits of stars in the center of the Milky Way. They orbit around an invisible mass. From the shape and period of the orbits, astronomers have inferred the mass of the central black hole in the Milky Way to be about 4.3 million solar masses.

Similar to inactive black holes, dark matter can only be detected by its gravitational influence on the orbit of visible matter. But the measured effect of dark matter on the orbits of the stars in galaxies cannot be explained by black holes. For instance, dark matter is distributed on a large scale, whereas black holes are "point like" and effect only their nearest surroundings.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Tangled or entangled two black holes encountering each other are bound to be… out of this universe? :ssmile:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

jude

Post by jude » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:28 pm

"their central black holes will soon do battle themselves". Wondering how "soon" that is. :D

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 pm

"their central black holes will soon do battle themselves". Wondering how "soon" that is
Are we so sure the galaxies and their centers are doing battle? Perhaps they are in love, and we are seeing the foreplay, and at some point in our distant frame, but not theirs, there will be a stargasm...

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:08 am

It's a Feeding Frenzy....

awesome pic...

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:08 am

zendae1 wrote:
"their central black holes will soon do battle themselves". Wondering how "soon" that is
Are we so sure the galaxies and their centers are doing battle? Perhaps they are in love, and we are seeing the foreplay, and at some point in our distant frame, but not theirs, there will be a stargasm...
Come on... Really. My kids read this...

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:09 am

zendae1 wrote:

It would SEEM to be attraction, and we do FALL in love....

pbrox

Post by pbrox » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:08 pm

Hey, that is true but did you know you that magnets are also attractive? It looks like they are magnetically combining in the red/blue/green bandwiths.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:38 am

Guest wrote:
zendae1 wrote:
Come on... Really. My kids read this...
So, which imagery bothers your children? The idea that one galaxy and another are attracted and merge, or that one galaxy consumed the other? I find the former a more valid depiction in my mind, but in neither case do I see a reason to be worried for your children's sensibilities. ("Avert your eyes, Junior, a raindrop just landed in a puddle!")

Is it perhaps the use of the terms "foreplay" or "stargasm"? If young children asked me what the poster meant by such terms (the term "stargasm" actually not being a bona fide word at all), I could easily answer them without mentioning anything a Puritan should find objectionable. Or were you just being funny yourself? But you wrote "... Really." Or was that word meant to be as in: [youtube]D2MPoqqzwdY[/youtube]
Mark Goldfain

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:51 am

Some people really don't like sexual innuendo of any sort, Mark. This is supposed to be a family friendly site, but I don't personally think you really crossed a line. I got chided a while back for offering the advice, "Don't be a dick." because it had the d-word in it, so I feel your pain.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Markus Schwarz
Science Officer

Post by Markus Schwarz » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:39 am

geckzilla wrote:Some people really don't like sexual innuendo of any sort, Mark. This is supposed to be a family friendly site, but I don't personally think you really crossed a line. I got chided a while back for offering the advice, "Don't be a dick." because it had the d-word in it, so I feel your pain.
I find that what is deemed acceptable and what is not highly depends on ones culture. Quite explicit sexual images are used in public advertisements, commercials and movies here in Germany, which would be deemed as highly inappropriate in the US. On the other hand, Germans have more issues with violence in movies than US Americans do. And then I heard that Chinese don't approve the showing bones or skeletons, which neither Germans nor US Americans seem to have a problem with...

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:52 am

Hmmm ... it seems I need practice with youtube embedding.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Mark Goldfain