APOD: Great Rift Near the Center of the... (2016 Nov 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Great Rift Near the Center of the... (2016 Nov 10)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:07 am

Image Great Rift Near the Center of the Milky Way

Explanation: Over 100 telescopic image panels in this stunning vertical mosaic span about 50 degrees across the night sky. They follow part of the Great Rift, the dark river of dust and molecular gas that stretches along the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy. Start at top center and you can follow the galactic equator down through brighter stars in constellations Aquila, Serpens Cauda, and Scutum. At the bottom is Sagittarius near the center of the Milky Way. Along the way you'll encounter many obscuring dark nebulae hundreds of light-years distant flanked by bands of Milky Way starlight, and the telltale reddish glow of starforming regions. Notable Messier objects include The Eagle (M16) and Omega (M17) nebulae, the Sagittarius Star Cloud (M24), the beautiful Trifid (M20) and the deep Lagoon (M8).

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Great Rift Near the Center of the... (2016 Nov 10)

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:16 am

I'm very glad that Rogelio Bernal Andreo is back again with an APOD. Great image, Rogelio! :D

It seems to me that our own galaxy is rather dusty as galaxies go. But its dust is comparatively "sterile", because it isn't bursting forth in cascades of new star formation.

Ann
Color Commentator

tjrcon
Asternaut

Post by tjrcon » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:12 pm

It would have been nice if this particular picture had been annotated

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:16 pm

tjrcon wrote:It would have been nice if this particular picture had been annotated
+1 I was thinking the same thing. (role the cursor over the image and up pops the annotation.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:07 pm

Beautiful work! I followed a link to his large resolution image, then saw that he also posted part of it on "Roundme.com", which is a website I'd never seen before. Fun stuff! Many of their contributors post astronomically-interesting images.
There is Rogelio's: https://roundme.com/tour/85245/view/214717/
(posted as "DeepSkyColors"), and a couple of other nice samples are:
Star trails over Delicate Arch: https://roundme.com/tour/23338/view/56879/
Freedom Space Lago-Naki: https://roundme.com/tour/61163/view/152242/
Mark Goldfain

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Guest wrote:
tjrcon wrote:It would have been nice if this particular picture had been annotated
+1 I was thinking the same thing. (role the cursor over the image and up pops the annotation.
I started doing an annotated version, but I regret that I just don't have the time to do it properly. There are so many objects to label!

One odd thing I noted though. The bright globular cluster, M22, was missing (it's near Lambda Sagittarii, which is the top of the Teapot's lid). The pair Lambda Sgr and another globular cluster right of Lambda, M28 (which appears somewhat stellar at this scale), are to the left of the prominent nebulae M8 (the Lagoon) and M20 (the Trifid) towards the bottom of the picture. M22 should be to the upper-left of Lambda, but it's not there. In fact, based on positions of nearby stars, it looks like a degree-wide vertical strip of sky is missing in that area. I guess it's a consequence of the mosaic process, especially in view of the large number of individual images involved.

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Spectacular image! Makes me feel like I'm really sitting on a planet embedded in the galactic disc.

Visual_Astronomer

Post by Visual_Astronomer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Joe Stieber wrote:
Guest wrote:
I started doing an annotated version, but I regret that I just don't have the time to do it properly. There are so many objects to label!

One odd thing I noted though. The bright globular cluster, M22, was missing (it's near Lambda Sagittarii, which is the top of the Teapot's lid). The pair Lambda Sgr and another globular cluster right of Lambda, M28 (which appears somewhat stellar at this scale), are to the left of the prominent nebulae M8 (the Lagoon) and M20 (the Trifid) towards the bottom of the picture. M22 should be to the upper-left of Lambda, but it's not there. In fact, based on positions of nearby stars, it looks like a degree-wide vertical strip of sky is missing in that area. I guess it's a consequence of the mosaic process, especially in view of the large number of individual images involved.
You are correct - M22 is large, spectacular, and totally missing from this image!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:37 pm

Joe Stieber wrote: The bright globular cluster, M22, was missing (it's near Lambda Sagittarii, which is the top of the Teapot's lid). The pair Lambda Sgr and another globular cluster right of Lambda, M28 (which appears somewhat stellar at this scale), are to the left of the prominent nebulae M8 (the Lagoon) and M20 (the Trifid) towards the bottom of the picture. M22 should be to the upper-left of Lambda, but it's not there.
<<There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.>>
Art Neuendorffer

RBAndreo

Post by RBAndreo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 am

Yes. M22 sits right on the edge of an overlapping area, and a poor registration there plus a dumb overlapping between those two frames (and a careless operator!) made m22 vanish! I'll definitely fix this but it'll take me some time. It'd be easy to just paste an m22 where it's supposed to be but I'm much more inclined to 're-register those frames and blend them as they're supposed to be. Thanks for pointing it out! Yes, it's a lot of frames! :-)

Rogelio

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:44 pm

All Rogelio had to do was to just paste an M22 where it's supposed to be; and as soon as he did, his APOD would no longer be criticized and we would all be done. Rogelio would be crazy to 're-register those all frames and blend them as they're supposed to be and really didn't have to; but if he didn't do that he would feel guilty and so would have to.
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Just for the more casual readers here who may have skimmed to this point: yes, Art (neufer) is making a joke through a carefully crafted allusion that he hopes everyone will understand due to his previous post.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

RBAndreo

Post by RBAndreo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:53 pm

neufer wrote:All Rogelio had to do was to just paste an M22 where it's supposed to be; and as soon as he did, his APOD would no longer be criticized and we would all be done. Rogelio would be crazy to 're-register those all frames and blend them as they're supposed to be and really didn't have to; but if he didn't do that he would feel guilty and so would have to.
Well, I didn't take it as criticism but as an observation (and if someone meant to criticize it, too bad their message didn't come across that way for me 8-) ) . I appreciate these things... as long as the claim is valid! If this was a 10 or even 25 pane mosaic and I hadn't noticed a poor registration/overlapping between two frames, I'd be somewhat embarrassed, but when you're assembling so many panes, one after another, one or two slips won't affect my ego :mrgreen:

BTW, had I noticed beforehand, I would have not just pasted an M22 (especially over a star field that wouldn't "match"). There's no need, having the original data. And while it will take me possibly an hour or so to do it, that's not a lot of time considering what had already been spent on the image. So it's all cool.

Thanks,
Rogelio

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:35 pm

RBAndreo wrote:BTW, had I noticed beforehand, I would have not just pasted an M22 (especially over a star field that wouldn't "match"). There's no need, having the original data. And while it will take me possibly an hour or so to do it, that's not a lot of time considering what had already been spent on the image. So it's all cool.
Your work ethic is refreshing. The work you've already done in a sense deserves the extra effort. Nobody wants to see a band-aid on the face of a beautiful model. (Well, it can be a nice effect on occasion, if done intentionally, but generally we don't.) Discerning APOD viewers -- including neufer, I think -- appreciate the care that went into the image.
Mark Goldfain

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Such a shame the image is not only titled at the top but watermarked in the middle. What's the purpose of that?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Ken wrote:Such a shame the image is not only titled at the top but watermarked in the middle. What's the purpose of that?
Because a lot of people share images without any accompanying information online. It allows people who would like to know more about the artist/photographer/designer to track down the individual responsible for the work. Of course, a lot of people will also cut off the edge to get rid of a signature or copyright line, so the watermark in the middle of the image is a final attempt by the creator to have their identity and property retained.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.