APOD: Lightning over Colorado (2016 Dec 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Lightning over Colorado (2016 Dec 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 am

Image Lightning over Colorado

Explanation: Have you ever watched a lightning storm in awe? Join the crowd. Oddly, nobody knows exactly how lightning is produced. What is known is that charges slowly separate in some clouds causing rapid electrical discharges (lightning), but how electrical charges get separated in clouds remains a topic of much research. Lightning usually takes a jagged course, rapidly heating a thin column of air to about three times the surface temperature of the Sun. The resulting shock wave starts supersonically and decays into the loud sound known as thunder. Lightning bolts are common in clouds during rainstorms, and on average 44 lightning bolts occur on the Earth every second. Pictured, over 60 images were stacked to capture the flow of lightning-producing storm clouds in July over Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Lightning over Colorado (2016 Dec 05)

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:12 am

Wowzers!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chris, did you spot this monster storm in the distance?

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:02 am

Natures Fury can be beautiful and awesome...

Just be safe...
:---[===] *

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:38 am

I don't understand how charge-separation comes about in terrestrial clouds. And why does the same thing (apparently) not occur in interstellar clouds? Why don't we see cosmic lightning bolts going from one interstellar cloud to another? Or maybe they do occur, but only on distance scales too short for us to distinguish them with our telescopes?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 am

heehaw wrote:I don't understand how charge-separation comes about in terrestrial clouds. And why does the same thing (apparently) not occur in interstellar clouds? Why don't we see cosmic lightning bolts going from one interstellar cloud to another? Or maybe they do occur, but only on distance scales too short for us to distinguish them with our telescopes?
Reckon the atoms are too far apart, among other things. Wouldn't be surprised if some kind of lightning occurs during star and/or planetary formation.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Redbone
Ensign

Post by Redbone » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:59 pm

From the provided Thunder link:

Thunder contains a somewhat cylindrical initial pressure shock wave along the lightning channel in excess of 10 times the normal atmospheric pressure. This shock wave decays rapidly into a sound wave within feet or meters. When thunder is heard from about 328 feet (100 m) distance, it consists of one large bang, yet hissing and clicking may be heard just prior to the bang (upward streamers). When heard at .6 mile (1 km) from lightning, thunder will rumble with several loud claps.

I've been within 100 meters of several lightning strikes and the above is an accurate description. What I don't understand or believe is how the hissing and clicking can be heard several seconds before the bang. Supposedly the shock wave generated by the lightning is supersonic but quickly decays into an ordinary sound wave. Surely that sound wave should arrive well before the hissing and clicking?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Ann wrote:Wowzers!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chris, did you spot this monster storm in the distance?
July is thunderstorm season. We don't tend to have them up high where we are once evening comes, but there are flashes on the horizon much of the night (which my meteor camera also picks up, along with sprites above them). This storm was about 75 km east of me. Without knowing the exact date and time I can't say much else.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Redbone wrote:From the provided Thunder link:

Thunder contains a somewhat cylindrical initial pressure shock wave along the lightning channel in excess of 10 times the normal atmospheric pressure. This shock wave decays rapidly into a sound wave within feet or meters. When thunder is heard from about 328 feet (100 m) distance, it consists of one large bang, yet hissing and clicking may be heard just prior to the bang (upward streamers). When heard at .6 mile (1 km) from lightning, thunder will rumble with several loud claps.

I've been within 100 meters of several lightning strikes and the above is an accurate description. What I don't understand or believe is how the hissing and clicking can be heard several seconds before the bang. Supposedly the shock wave generated by the lightning is supersonic but quickly decays into an ordinary sound wave. Surely that sound wave should arrive well before the hissing and clicking?
I can think of at least two mechanisms. In some cases the hissing and clicking may be electrophonic noise, which means you are hearing electromagnetic radiation transduced in some way to sound. That is carried to you at the speed of light. Electrophonic noise is also heard in auroras and large meteors. The second is ordinary sound propagation, but from current paths that are established before the main strike.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:08 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._6_(Beethoven) wrote: <<The Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68, also known as the Pastoral Symphony (German Pastoral-Sinfonie), is a symphony composed by Ludwig van Beethoven, and completed in 1808. One of Beethoven's few works containing explicitly programmatic content, the symphony was first performed in the Theater an der Wien on 22 December 1808[3] in a four-hour concert.
Fourth Movement: Allegro : Thunder. Storm.'
The fourth movement, in F minor, depicts a violent thunderstorm with painstaking realism, building from just a few drops of rain to a great climax with thunder, lightning, high winds, and sheets of rain. The storm eventually passes, with an occasional peal of thunder still heard in the distance. There is a seamless transition into the final movement. This movement parallels Mozart's procedure in his String Quintet in G minor K. 516 of 1787, which likewise prefaces a serene final movement with a long, emotionally stormy introduction.>>
Art Neuendorffer

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:12 pm

I was on a pier in Tampa Bay when a storm moved in. I came prepared with my camera, but was not really prepared for how close the lightning would be. A particularly close bolt landed about 500 feet away, and the instant it flashed, I heard a 'snap' sound like a static discharge. I got a photo of it too.
Here's a link to it: http://pixels.com/featured/seeking-shel ... rritt.html

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Without knowing the exact date and time I can't say much else.
For general background information, in an email the photographer said "The image was taken on 7-7-16 around 8pm at Palmer Park in Colo Spgs, CO. "

- RJN

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:28 pm

This image is quite fantastic. It looks manipulated to a large degree--the contrast between the cloud structures, colors, strange shapes in the center of the huge cloud. Even the overall appearance of the cloud is like nothing I've ever seen before. Is there an explanation for the strong diagonal striations of the clouds? And what are those weird purple shapes in the center?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

RJN wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:Without knowing the exact date and time I can't say much else.
For general background information, in an email the photographer said "The image was taken on 7-7-16 around 8pm at Palmer Park in Colo Spgs, CO. "
That's about an hour before my camera turns on at that time of year, but here's what my sky looked like from about 9-11pm. All that activity is directly towards Colorado Springs in the east. (You can also see a newish Moon setting in the west (upper right), with Jupiter trailing it, and Mars going in and out of clouds down in the lower right corner.)
20160707_21-23.gif
20160707_21-23.gif (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3918 times
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

bethkatz
Asternaut

Post by bethkatz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:03 pm

I was in Colorado at that time and took this picture from just east of Bailey. It was a seriously impressive storm. I've done no image manipulation other than cropping. My location was 39.439300, -105.413331 which is about 50-60 miles north northwest of Palmer Park. My camera says it was 8:28pm local time 7/7/2016. I had been watching it and have pictures from about 8:15pm.

I appreciate seeing a different perspective. As soon as I saw Colorado and July, I had to check the date. I thought I had taken a screenshot of the local radar, but maybe it's on a different computer.
Attachments
07.07.StormFromBailey.jpg

alcor
Ensign

Post by alcor » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Awesome image. 8-) The lightening and its clouds is truly dynamic. Or should I say hurly-burly. :wink:
Arne

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 pm

I like the Chuukese definition of "ning". If I could go so far as to add the "light" to "ning" we'd have light's glory and beauty as in today's APOD. :wink:

Of course saram-ning has a nice ring to it though I doubt it's the word in Chuukese :ssmile: Fiifi is pretty cool 8-)
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 pm

I sawa lot of that in Brasil !
Wolf Kotenberg

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:30 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

ta152h0 wrote:
I saw a lot of that in Brasil !
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:47 pm

bethkatz wrote:I was in Colorado at that time and took this picture from just east of Bailey. It was a seriously impressive storm. I've done no image manipulation other than cropping. My location was 39.439300, -105.413331 which is about 50-60 miles north northwest of Palmer Park. My camera says it was 8:28pm local time 7/7/2016. I had been watching it and have pictures from about 8:15pm.

I appreciate seeing a different perspective. As soon as I saw Colorado and July, I had to check the date. I thought I had taken a screenshot of the local radar, but maybe it's on a different computer.
This is what the radar caught when this APOD was shot.
2016-07-08-0202.png
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer