APOD: The Magnificent Horsehead Nebula (2016 Dec 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Magnificent Horsehead Nebula (2016 Dec 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:33 am

Image The Magnificent Horsehead Nebula

Explanation: Sculpted by stellar winds and radiation, a magnificent interstellar dust cloud by chance has assumed this recognizable shape. Fittingly named the Horsehead Nebula, it is some 1,500 light-years distant, embedded in the vast Orion cloud complex. About five light-years "tall", the dark cloud is cataloged as Barnard 33 and is visible only because its obscuring dust is silhouetted against the glowing red emission nebula IC 434. Stars are forming within the dark cloud. Contrasting blue reflection nebula NGC 2023, surrounding a hot, young star, is at the lower left. The gorgeous color image combines both narrowband and broadband images recorded using three different telescopes.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

ta152h0
Schooled

Re: APOD: The Magnificent Horsehead Nebula (2016 Dec 25)

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Any compairasons to 100 year old ( or so ) images to discern differences ? Print one on mylar and the other on photographic paper, same scale. By the way, I like the automatic spell check.
Wolf Kotenberg

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:50 pm

The Horsehead is, and always will be one of my favorites! I was thinking that if we got up close enough to it we wouldn't even see it! Makes you wonder if what some ET looking toward the sun would see that we can"t because we are in it! :lol2: :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:35 am

ta152h0 wrote:
Any comparisons to 100 year old ( or so ) images to discern differences?
Print one on mylar and the other on photographic paper, same scale.
  • You tell us, Wolf:
http://www.catchersofthelight.com/catchers/post/2012/06/05/Williamina-Fleming-History-of-Astrophotography.aspx wrote: The History of Astrophotography Blog
by Stefan Hughes

<<Williamina Paton Stevens Fleming will always be remembered for her discovery in 1888 of the ‘Horsehead’ Nebula, probably the most famous and iconic of all astronomical objects in the heavens. A remarkable achievement, considering that she had begun her astronomical career as the housekeeper of Edward Charles Pickering, the then Director of the Harvard College Observatory.

For in 1888 she found on a photographic plate an object which is without doubt the most iconic and beautiful of all astronomical objects ever to be seen by human eyes – the famous ‘Horsehead’ Nebula. Let us now tell her story, which is one any author of fiction would be proud to write - of how a housemaid with no scientific training or qualifications became one of the world’s a greatest astronomers.

To read more on her life and work read the eBook chapter on Williamina Fleming: or buy the Book 'Catchers of the Light'.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:39 am

Thank you sir and I can start as soon as I wash all the dishes !~
Wolf Kotenberg

Visual_Astronomer

Post by Visual_Astronomer » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:42 pm

This photo is really stunning.
Visually, the Horsehead is very difficult, but I have been able to discern it a few times.