APOD: A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over... (2017 Feb 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over... (2017 Feb 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:06 am

Image A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over Montana

Explanation: Is that a spaceship or a cloud? Although it may seem like an alien mothership, it's actually a impressive thunderstorm cloud called a supercell. Such colossal storm systems center on mesocyclones -- rotating updrafts that can span several kilometers and deliver torrential rain and high winds including tornadoes. Jagged sculptured clouds adorn the supercell's edge, while wind swept dust and rain dominate the center. A tree waits patiently in the foreground. The above supercell cloud was photographed in 2010 July west of Glasgow, Montana, USA, caused minor damage, and lasted several hours before moving on.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

moose

Re: APOD: A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over... (2017 Feb 26)

Post by moose » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:24 pm

> Jagged sculptured clouds adorn the supercell's edge

Click on the photo to enlarge to see details of this but it's a low-res photo. If something is going to make it to the daily post, it should be bigger than 860*420. If someone is concerned about exposing a somewhat higher resolution photo of theirs on the open web, then this might not be the forum.

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:27 pm

I seen that in Brazil, it is awesome and scary.
Wolf Kotenberg

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm surprised that no one commented yesterday about the
APOD Robot wrote:alien mothership link.
I found this totally fictional item to be the best part of yesterday's explanation.

Some ships that were too big to fit were the Star Wars Death Star and the Battle Cruiser from Spaceballs with the "We break for nobody" bumper sticker. :lol2:

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.