APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 2908
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby APOD Robot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 am

Image A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145

Explanation: A darkened sky holds bright planet Venus, the New Moon in silhouette, and the shimmering corona of the Sun in this image of a total solar eclipse. A composite of simultaneous telephoto and wide angle frames it was taken in the path of totality 18 years ago, August 11, 1999, near Kastamonu, Turkey. That particular solar eclipse is a member of Saros 145. Known historically from observations of the Moon's orbit, the Saros cycle predicts when the Sun, Earth, and Moon will return to the same geometry for a solar (or lunar) eclipse. The Saros has a period of 18 years, 11 and 1/3 days. Eclipses separated by one Saros period belong to the same numbered Saros series and are very similar. But the path of totality for consecutive solar eclipses in the same Saros shifts across the Earth because the planet rotates for an additional 8 hours during the cycle's fractional day. So the next solar eclipse of Saros 145 will also be a total eclipse, and the narrow path of totality will track coast to coast across the United States on August 21, 2017.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby ta152h0 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 am

The guys over at the Science channel are claiming " we waited 99 years for the total eclipse on August 21. Wonder if this is a word engineered statement for I remember well the feb 1979 event at Goldendale, Washington. I have the event on film/
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14086
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby neufer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 am

ta152h0 wrote:
The guys over at the Science channel are claiming " we waited 99 years for the total eclipse on August 21. Wonder if this is a word engineered statement for I remember well the feb 1979 event at Goldendale, Washington. I have the event on film/

The Feb 1979 event didn't make it all across the country.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby JohnD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm

The numbering of Saroses (Saroi?) is confusing. This APOD is described as "Saros 145", wth the link putting Saros 1 in the 17th Century, but 145x18= 2610, so that No.1 was in 593 BCE, and a NASA page dates 'Saros 1" as from 2004-2011 (https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/SEsaros001.html) !

Anyway, the word 'saros' was used by Edmund Halley, "who took it from the Suda, a Byzantine lexicon of the 11th century" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saros_(astronomy)) that described the period as used by the Chaldeans of Mesopotamia, hundreds of years BCE, so the first interpretaion should be correct. Ish, as if the cycle never hapened before the Chaldeans.

And if "saros" is Greek, it means 'dry' - did the Mesopotatamians predict a cycle of droughts with it?

John

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14086
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Saroses of the liver

Postby neufer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 pm

JohnD wrote:
The numbering of Saroses (Saroi?) is confusing.

Anyway, the word 'saros' was used by Edmund Halley, "who took it from the Suda, a Byzantine lexicon of the 11th century" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saros_(astronomy)) that described the period as used by the Chaldeans of Mesopotamia, hundreds of years BCE, so the first interpretaion should be correct. Ish, as if the cycle never hapened before the Chaldeans.

And if "saros" is Greek, it means 'dry' - did the Mesopotatamians predict a cycle of droughts with it?

Plural of 'saros' = 'saroi' ; the Greek word apparently comes from the Babylonian word "sāru" meaning the number 3600.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13044
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Saroses of the liver

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 pm

neufer wrote:
JohnD wrote:And if "saros" is Greek, it means 'dry' - did the Mesopotatamians predict a cycle of droughts with it?

Plural of 'saros' = 'saroi' ; the Greek word apparently comes from the Babylonian word "sāru" meaning the number 3600.

The more common plural is saroses, which I think is the preferred choice.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13044
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:26 pm

ta152h0 wrote:The guys over at the Science channel are claiming " we waited 99 years for the total eclipse on August 21. Wonder if this is a word engineered statement for I remember well the feb 1979 event at Goldendale, Washington. I have the event on film/

Yeah... seriously stretching the definition of an "American" eclipse. But we shouldn't forget that the Science Channel is to Science what Dr. Pepper is to medicine.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

suicidejunkie
Ensign
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby suicidejunkie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm

JohnD wrote:The numbering of Saroses (Saroi?) is confusing. This APOD is described as "Saros 145", wth the link putting Saros 1 in the 17th Century, but 145x18= 2610, so that No.1 was in 593 BCE, and a NASA page dates 'Saros 1" as from 2004-2011 (https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/SEsaros001.html) !

That's because we get another member of 145 every 18 and a bit years.
So "Team 145" includes the one in 1999, and the one in 2017, and will include another in 2035.
Saros 144 members are interleaved with those.

Edit:
Another way to think of it is in video game terms: Saros 1 is like Madden, and Saros 145 is like FIFA.
They both keep putting out sequels on a very regular basis, and while the two sets of games are quite different from each other, all the games of a particular series are basically identical.

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby ta152h0 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 pm

there is going to be a long belt of frozen grass all accross this land
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby JohnD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 pm

suicidejunkie wrote:
JohnD wrote:The numbering of Saroses (Saroi?) is confusing. This APOD is described as "Saros 145", wth the link putting Saros 1 in the 17th Century, but 145x18= 2610, so that No.1 was in 593 BCE, and a NASA page dates 'Saros 1" as from 2004-2011 (https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEsaros/SEsaros001.html) !

That's because we get another member of 145 every 18 and a bit years.
So "Team 145" includes the one in 1999, and the one in 2017, and will include another in 2035.
Saros 144 members are interleaved with those.

Edit:
Another way to think of it is in video game terms: Saros 1 is like Madden, and Saros 145 is like FIFA.
They both keep putting out sequels on a very regular basis, and while the two sets of games are quite different from each other, all the games of a particular series are basically identical.


Gosh, that makes it completely obscure. Thank you!

heehaw

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby heehaw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Gosh, that makes it completely obscure. Thank you![/quote]
Just think of a barber: eclipse your hair.

jch
Asternaut
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby jch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 am

I've enjoyed this APOD https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170811.html "A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145"

What about APOD "Saros 145" or "77 solar eclipses in 1370.29 years of the Saros 145"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf3qweYBSEk

It would give a time perspective

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14086
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby neufer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

heehaw wrote:
Just think of a barber: eclipse your hair.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?all ... earch=clip wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
clip (v.1) "to cut or sever with a sharp instrument," c. 1200, from a Scandinavian source (compare Old Norse klippa, Swedish klippa, Danish klippe "clip, shear, cut"), which is probably echoic.

Meaning "to pronounce short" is from 1520s. The verb has a long association with shady activities, originally especially in reference to cutting or shaving metal from coins (c. 1400), but later extended to swindles from the sense "to shear sheep," hence clip-joint "place that overcharges outrageously" (1933, American English, a term from Prohibition). To clip (someone's) wings figuratively (1590s) is from the method of preventing a captive bird from flying.

clip (v.2) "fasten, hold together by pressure," also (mostly archaic) "to embrace," from Old English clyppan "to embrace, clasp; surround; prize, honor, cherish;" related to Old Frisian kleppa "to embrace, love," Old High German klaftra, German klafter "fathom" (on notion of outstretched arms). Meaning "to fasten, bind" is early 14c. Meaning "to fasten with clips" is from 1902.

clipper (n.) late 14c., "sheepshearer;" early 15c., "a barber;" c. 1300 as a surname; agent noun from Middle English clippen "shorten". The type of fast sailing ship so called from 1823 (in Cooper's "The Pilot"), probably from clip (v.1) in sense of "to move or run rapidly," hence early 19c. sense "person or animal who looks capable of fast running."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse wrote:
<<The term is derived from the ancient Greek noun ἔκλειψις (ékleipsis), which means "the abandonment", "the downfall", or "the darkening of a heavenly body", which is derived from the verb ἐκλείπω (ekleípō) which means "to abandon", "to darken", or "to cease to exist," a combination of prefix ἐκ- (ek-), from preposition ἐκ (ek), "out," and of verb λείπω (leípō), "to be absent".>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14086
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby neufer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm

http://eclipsophile.com/overview/ wrote:


:arrow: Graph of average morning (10:30 am) and early afternoon (1:30 pm) fractional cloudiness along the central axis of the [August 21, 2017] eclipse track across the United States derived from 15-17 years of satellite imagery. The locations of prominent communities along the track are indicated, as are the more significant terrain features (in italics). The afternoon cloud line is most useful for states east of the Mississippi River; the morning graph is most appropriate for the Mountain States and the Great Plains. Data: NASA GSFC.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13044
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 pm

neufer wrote:
http://eclipsophile.com/overview/ wrote:


:arrow: Graph of average morning (10:30 am) and early afternoon (1:30 pm) fractional cloudiness along the central axis of the [August 21, 2017] eclipse track across the United States derived from 15-17 years of satellite imagery. The locations of prominent communities along the track are indicated, as are the more significant terrain features (in italics). The afternoon cloud line is most useful for states east of the Mississippi River; the morning graph is most appropriate for the Mountain States and the Great Plains. Data: NASA GSFC.

My current plans put me somewhere on the road between Casper and Riverton (WY), so things are looking good. Of course, I'll be watching the weather forecasts closely so as to adjust my plans as necessary.

We've had a very wet July and August here, after a bone dry June. The monsoons really kicked in. But they peter out further north, and seem like they might be slowing down over the next week.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14086
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby neufer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
My current plans put me somewhere on the road between Casper and Riverton (WY), so things are looking good. Of course, I'll be watching the weather forecasts closely so as to adjust my plans as necessary. We've had a very wet July and August here, after a bone dry June. The monsoons really kicked in. But they peter out further north, and seem like they might be slowing down over the next week.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/wy.jpg

orin stepanek wrote:
We Will be just off the edge here in Columbus; Nebraska, on the 21st; but I'll not look for it anyway! I'm sure they will show something about it on the news! 8-)

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/ne.jpg
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14086
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse of Saros 145 (2017 Aug 11)

Postby neufer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

https://weather.com/forecast/national/n ... ugust-2017 wrote:
USA National Forecast
Solar Eclipse Weather Forecast: Will Clouds Block Your View?
By Linda Lam5 hours agoweather.com

Art Neuendorffer


Return to “The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], neufer and 2 guests