APOD: Detailed View of a Solar Eclipse Corona (2017 Aug 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Detailed View of a Solar Eclipse Corona (2017 Aug 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:07 am

Image Detailed View of a Solar Eclipse Corona

Explanation: Only in the fleeting darkness of a total solar eclipse is the light of the solar corona easily visible. Normally overwhelmed by the bright solar disk, the expansive corona, the sun's outer atmosphere, is an alluring sight. But the subtle details and extreme ranges in the corona's brightness, although discernible to the eye, are notoriously difficult to photograph. Pictured here, however, using multiple images and digital processing, is a detailed image of the Sun's corona taken during the 2008 August total solar eclipse from Mongolia. Clearly visible are intricate layers and glowing caustics of an ever changing mixture of hot gas and magnetic fields. Bright looping prominences appear pink just above the Sun's limb. A similar solar corona might be visible through clear skies in a thin swath across the USA during a total solar eclipse that occurs just one week from tomorrow.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Detailed View of a Solar Eclipse Corona (2017 Aug 13)

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:25 am

The 21st, for the moment, here in Salem, Oregon, looks around 84F, but there could be some clouds... but, HEY, this is Oregon, and we have what we call, "Oregon Weather", it is Maritime, and changeable. So keep your fingers crossed...

Really great image today....looks like many "Lava Fountains" from a Volcano...

Hoping for Clear Skies or a good "window"....
:---[===] *

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am

We Will be just off the edge here in Columbus; Nebraska, on the 21st; but I'll not look for it anyway! I'm sure they will show something about it on the news! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:24 am

Boomer12k wrote:
The 21st, for the moment, here in Salem, Oregon, looks around 84F, but there could be some clouds... but, HEY, this is Oregon, and we have what we call, "Oregon Weather", it is Maritime, and changeable. So keep your fingers crossed...

Really great image today....looks like many "Lava Fountains" from a Volcano...

Hoping for Clear Skies or a good "window"....
http://eclipsophile.com/oregon/ wrote:

<<A far better eclipse-watching location — perhaps the best anywhere in the United States — is on the east side of the second mountain chain — the Cascades, which, at 3,000 metres, are high enough to make a major dent in the cloud-cover statistics. After crossing this range, the eclipse track drops sharply into “The Basin,” a low valley centered on Madras that lies at the southernmost extension of the Columbia Basin. Airport observations at Redmond, at the south limit of the umbral shadow, show an average cloud cover of 27 percent at eclipse time. Over 50 percent of the reports at Redmond show “clear” skies and 75 percent have scattered cloud or less. According to satellite observations (Figure 3), Madras and its surroundings have the distinction of possessing the least August cloudiness anywhere along the central line of the eclipse track.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 am

orin stepanek wrote:
We Will be just off the edge here in Columbus; Nebraska, on the 21st; but I'll not look for it anyway!
I'm sure they will show something about it on the news! 8-)
  • For shame, Orin :!: :thumb_down:
http://eclipsophile.com/nebraska/ wrote: <<Nebraska favors the well-prepared expedition, as highways in the state permit rapid movement to clearer skies, which are often not too distant when thunderstorms are responsible. Good weather information will be essential—satellite images work particularly well in the short range, but a forecast from the day before will probably prove more convenient. North Platte, in central Nebraska, receives 75 percent of the maximum possible sunshine, while Lincoln and Topeka are only slightly less content with an average of 70 percent.

A good home base for eclipse expeditions is Alliance, NE, or nearby Antioch, both located in the best weather zone on the plains. Highway 2 from Alliance offers 320 km of in-the-track travel toward the east if cloud avoidance is necessary and a westerly escape can go all the way to Casper and still stay in the umbral region. In central and eastern Nebraska, Interstate 80 allows rapid relocation, cutting diagonally across the track, from Lincoln to Lexington, a distance of 240 km. Nebraska and northeast Kansas don’t offer any cloud-eating terrain, so flight is the best option if a new viewing location is wanted.>>
Art Neuendorffer

K1NS

Post by K1NS » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Grest image. You can even see detail on the surface of the moon through reflected Earthshine.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:29 am

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/08/solar_eclipse_cloud_forecast_s.html wrote:

Total cloud cover forecast for 2 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday, August 21, 2017.(weatherbell.com)

Solar eclipse cloud forecast shows where eclipse viewing in jeopardy

Updated on August 14, 2017 at 4:36 PM
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 am

neufer wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:
We Will be just off the edge here in Columbus; Nebraska, on the 21st; but I'll not look for it anyway!
I'm sure they will show something about it on the news! 8-)
  • For shame, Orin :!: :thumb_down:
http://eclipsophile.com/nebraska/ wrote: <<Nebraska favors the well-prepared expedition, as highways in the state permit rapid movement to clearer skies, which are often not too distant when thunderstorms are responsible. Good weather information will be essential—satellite images work particularly well in the short range, but a forecast from the day before will probably prove more convenient. North Platte, in central Nebraska, receives 75 percent of the maximum possible sunshine, while Lincoln and Topeka are only slightly less content with an average of 70 percent.

A good home base for eclipse expeditions is Alliance, NE, or nearby Antioch, both located in the best weather zone on the plains. Highway 2 from Alliance offers 320 km of in-the-track travel toward the east if cloud avoidance is necessary and a westerly escape can go all the way to Casper and still stay in the umbral region. In central and eastern Nebraska, Interstate 80 allows rapid relocation, cutting diagonally across the track, from Lincoln to Lexington, a distance of 240 km. Nebraska and northeast Kansas don’t offer any cloud-eating terrain, so flight is the best option if a new viewing location is wanted.>>
Thanks Neufer; but I have trouble getting around and I will see better photos than I could see with special glasses! My son is talking about taking pictures of the Eclipse; so, we will seee what happens! Besides NBC Omaha, (WOW TV) will follow it around! I'm sure they will have some gorgeous pictures!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:13 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Thanks Neufer; but I have trouble getting around and I will see better photos than I could see with special glasses! My son is talking about taking pictures of the Eclipse; so, we will see what happens! Besides NBC Omaha, (WOW TV) will follow it around! I'm sure they will have some gorgeous pictures!
One doesn't "see" a total eclipse so much as experience it.

I drove 5 hours to experience an annular eclipse in the rain and was so glad that I did.

It's only a little over an hours drive via US-30 W :!: for you
and you will have an excellent idea of the weather conditions before hand.
Art Neuendorffer

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:48 pm

neufer wrote:I drove 5 hours to experience an annular eclipse in the rain and was so glad that I did.
Similarly, I did relocate in the early morning on the day of the eclipse in 1999, when my primary observing location (Germany) became (and would likely stay) cloudy. At the second location (north of France), the thinner cloud deck did break at the moment of totality. In the end, it turned out to be a good decision. I made a lot of kilometers that day. (I have no idea how I managed all that without smartphone or satnav.)

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/18/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-18/?utm_term=.b54a9532ae66 wrote: Capital Weather Gang
Total solar eclipse weather forecast as of Aug. 18
By David Streit August 18 at 11:48 AM

<<The eclipse is just three days away, and our confidence is growing! We wish that it could be clear across the entire U.S. for this awesome event, but unfortunately there will be clouds in many places, including along the path of totality.

Overall forecast confidence: Medium

Inter-mountain West still looks like the best viewing conditions, but the area from St. Louis to Nashville is a close second.
South Carolina is starting to trend cloudier
The Upper Midwest has been consistently cloudy in all of our forecasts, and that hasn’t changed today

Forecast confidence: Medium to high
Corvallis, Ore.: Morning fog likely to burn off in time for good view
Madras, Ore.: Mostly clear but light smoke haze possible
Rexburg, Idaho: Scattered clouds, light haze
Casper, Wyo.: Scattered clouds, little interference

Forecast confidence: Medium
Grand Island, Neb.: Greatest risk area for mostly cloudy conditions
St. Joseph, Mo.: Partly cloudy, frequent interference possible
St. Louis: Partly cloudy, occasional interference possible
Carbondale, Ill.: Scattered clouds, limited interference
Hopkinsville, Ky.: Scattered clouds, limited interference
Nashville: Scattered clouds, limited interference

Forecast confidence: Low to medium
Greenville, S.C.: Partly cloudy, occasional interference possible
Columbia, S.C.: Partly cloudy, occasional interference a notable concern
Charleston: Partly to mostly cloudy, frequent interference possible
.................................................................................
Average weather conditions for Aug. 21

The timing of the eclipse is ideal, at least for the West. It begins just after 10 a.m. local time on the West Coast, which is usually enough time to burn off the fog that often occurs there.

The intermountain areas sometimes see thunderstorms bubble up in the afternoons during this time of year. These are associated with the Southwest monsoon, a period of increased thunderstorms and rain during the late summer and early fall. But the eclipse passes through this region around noon, before most of the storms develop, so the storm risk should be low there.

Clouds often pop up along the rest of the path throughout the day simply because of warmth and moisture. Those two things combined lead to rising air, which creates clouds. So the cloud risk gets greater the farther east you go. On top of that, South Carolina will see totality the latest in the day — after 2:30 p.m.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/18/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-18/?utm_term=.b54a9532ae66 wrote: Capital Weather Gang
Total solar eclipse weather forecast as of Aug. 19
By Matt Rogers August 19 at 11:15 AM

<<The eclipse is just two days away, and our confidence in the forecast is growing! We wish that it could be clear across the entire United States for this awesome event, but unfortunately there will be clouds in many places, including along the path of totality.

Overall forecast confidence: Medium

The Southeast and northern to western Midwest remain the most challenged viewing locations.
Pacific Northwest viewing prospects have improved some.
Interior West and East Coast cities should see mostly clear skies.

Madras, Ore.: Mostly clear but light smoke haze possible
Rexburg, Idaho: Scattered clouds, light haze
Casper, Wyo.: Scattered clouds, little interference

Grand Island, Neb.: Greatest risk area for mostly cloudy conditions
Carbondale, Ill.: Scattered clouds, limited interference
Hopkinsville, Ky.: Scattered clouds, limited interference

Forecast confidence: Low to medium
Greenville, S.C.: Partly cloudy, occasional interference possible
Columbia, S.C.: Partly cloudy, occasional interference a notable concern
Charleston: Partly to mostly cloudy, frequent interference possible>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:44 pm

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/ ... jpg&w=1484

neufer wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/20/total-solar-eclipse-weather-forecast-as-of-aug-18/?utm_term=.b54a9532ae66 wrote: Capital Weather Gang
Total solar eclipse weather forecast as of Aug. 20
By Matt Rogers August 20 at 10:40 AM

<<The eclipse is just a day away, and our confidence in the forecast continues to grow. We wish that it could be clear across the entire United States for this awesome event, but unfortunately there will be clouds in many places, including along the path of totality.

In the southern Midwest, be prepared to drive to identify better viewing; high cloud cover present here may allow for some less obstructed viewing.
Generally, the West is still best, but scattered smoke and haze issues are difficult to predict.

Madras, Ore.: Mostly clear but light smoke or haze possible
Rexburg, Idaho: Scattered clouds, light haze or smoke possible
Casper, Wyo.: Mostly sunny, smoke possible, limited interference
Grand Island, Neb.: Partly cloudy, frequent interference possible
Carbondale, Ill.: Partly cloudy, occasional interference possible
Hopkinsville, Ky.: Partly cloudy, occasional interference possible

Greenville, S.C.: Partly to mostly cloudy, occasional to frequent interference
Columbia, S.C.: Partly to mostly cloudy, occasional to frequent interference
Charleston: Partly to mostly cloudy, frequent interference possible

Finally, note that the above maps display the model forecasts for total cloud cover, which take into account both high and low clouds. In some areas, their illustration is probably overly pessimistic because the eclipse may still be viewable through high, thin clouds.

The timing of the eclipse is ideal, at least for the West. It begins just after 10 a.m. local time on the West Coast, which is usually enough time to burn off the fog that often occurs there.

The intermountain areas sometimes see thunderstorms bubble up in the afternoons during this time of year. These are associated with the Southwest monsoon, a period of increased thunderstorms and rain during the late summer and early fall. But the eclipse passes through this region around noon, before most of the storms develop, so the storm risk should be low there.

Clouds often pop up along the rest of the path throughout the day simply because of warmth and moisture. Those two things combined lead to rising air, which creates clouds. So the cloud risk gets greater the farther east you go. On top of that, South Carolina will see totality the latest in the day — after 2:30 p.m.>>
Art Neuendorffer