APOD: The Climber and the Eclipse (2017 Sep 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Climber and the Eclipse (2017 Sep 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 am

Image The Climber and the Eclipse

Explanation: What should you do if your rock climbing picture is photobombed by a total eclipse of the Sun? Rejoice -- because your planning paid off. After months of considering different venues, and a week of scouting different locations in Oregon's Smith Rock State Park, a group of photographers and rock climbers led by Ted Hesser, Martina Tibell, and Michael Shainblum settled on picturesque 100-meter tall Monkey Face tower as the dramatic foreground for their images of the pending total solar eclipse. Tension mounted as the eclipse time approached, planned juxtapositions were scrutinized, and the placement of rock climber Tommy Smith was adjusted. Right on schedule, though, the Moon moved in front of the Sun, and Smith moved in front of the Moon, just as planned. The solar eclipse image displayed here actually shows a diamond ring, an eclipse phase when a bit of the distant Sun is still visible beyond the Moon's surface.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Bob m

Re: APOD: The Climber and the Eclipse (2017 Sep 06)

Post by Bob m » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 am

why can I see stars in the moon?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:04 am

Bob m wrote:why can I see stars in the moon?
Could be hot pixels, dust, bugs, or pretty much anything but stars.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:29 am

Why is the eclipse so big in the picture, but when I saw it... here in Oregon...it was not so big...is it just perspective?
We had trees, etc, around... but even then, not this dynamic... the only thing I can think of is distance from the camera to person. If up closer it would look smaller...I wonder how far way that was taken.

Other than that, it is a great shot, and image...

:---[===] *

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:11 am

geckzilla wrote:
I wondered that, but zooming in they appear to show the same trailing as the stars to the right of the climber. Would be interested to hear what they are.
Caradon Observatory, Cornwall, UK.

Confused
Science Officer

Post by Confused » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:21 am

It is not a photobomb if it is the intended subject of the photo.

Was this the only attempt? I assume not. Otherwise, they deserve credit for the plan and successful execution. Most things don't always work the first time and every time.

Confused
Science Officer

Post by Confused » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 am

Knight of Clear Skies wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
I wondered that, but zooming in they appear to show the same trailing as the stars to the right of the climber. Would be interested to hear what they are.
Can we assume they are stars on the right? If not then you will need other evidence.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 am

Boomer12k wrote:
Why is the eclipse so big in the picture, but when I saw it... here in Oregon...it was not so big...is it just perspective?
We had trees, etc, around... but even then, not this dynamic... the only thing I can think of is distance from the camera to person. If up closer it would look smaller...I wonder how far way that was taken.
Both the Sun & Moon are ~110 times as far away as they are across.

Both look only about ~10 feet across relative to the climber.

Hence, the climber was about ~1100 feet away from the telephoto lens.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:52 am

Confused wrote:
Knight of Clear Skies wrote:
geckzilla wrote:
Can we assume they are stars on the right? If not then you will need other evidence.
Five very bright stars within 20 arcminutes of each other :!: :?: (The Pleiades are ~110 arcminutes wide.)
Art Neuendorffer

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:23 am

neufer wrote:Five very bright stars within 20 arcminutes of each other :!: :?: (The Pleiades are ~110 arcminutes wide.)
I was wondering if the camera had been left in position until nightfall and they had been composited in later (using a longer exposure), but that seems unlikely. Perhaps the 'trailing' is caused by the action of the shutter moving the camera slightly, the outline around the rock and climber is a similar width. The small streaks could well be insects or dust spots on the lens.

bobFranke
Asternaut

Post by bobFranke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 am

That's a beautiful shot. But good grief, man!

With all the involved planning, why not take the extra five or 10 minutes to touch up the dust bunnies that are sooo distracting.

BobStein-VisiBone
Ensign

Post by BobStein-VisiBone » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:32 am

One letter is wrong in the video link, it should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgAksIb1NGo

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 am

Mystery solved. There is a short video here which shows lots of insects flying through the shot, and a fine selection of images before and after totality.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 am

Wow, what a way to experience the eclipse! Excellent image!
8-)
Forget the box, just get outside.

Greg Parker

Post by Greg Parker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

He could have left the bug bright spots in deliberately in an attempt to short-circuit "fake" or "Photoshopped" comments which seem to abound when someone produces a beautiful image well beyond the average person's capabilties. Superb image!!!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Greg Parker wrote:He could have left the bug bright spots in deliberately in an attempt to short-circuit "fake" or "Photoshopped" comments which seem to abound when someone produces a beautiful image well beyond the average person's capabilties. Superb image!!!
I like the spots. I immediately recognized them as bugs or floating seeds, as I saw the same thing visually from Wyoming and caught some in my photos, as well. I think they add another layer of depth.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:41 pm

BobStein-VisiBone wrote:One letter is wrong in the video link, it should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgAksIb1NGo
Thanks for pointing this out. Which letter is wrong? I just tried to fix this by cursor-copying the YouTube string -- but the same error results. Any ideas why?

Tszabeau

Post by Tszabeau » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:44 pm

So... it's the bugs doing the photo-bombing.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:47 pm

RJN wrote:
BobStein-VisiBone wrote:One letter is wrong in the video link, it should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgAksIb1NGo
Thanks for pointing this out. Which letter is wrong? I just tried to fix this by cursor-copying the YouTube string -- but the same error results. Any ideas why?
Not sure what's going wrong with your copy/paste, but the difference is that the second from last character needs to be a capital "G", not the lower case "g" you have in the caption link.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

DonTaylor
Asternaut

Post by DonTaylor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm

I call BS on this one. I plugged in his location at Monkey Face Rock, north of Redmond. He would have had to be standing north of the the rock tower facing south east. The diamond ring would have appeared at roughly 2 and 7 o’clock, not 5 o’clock like in the picture. The little trapezoid pattern of stars to the right don’t show up in any of my planetarium apps. I’ve yet to see a diamond ring image with the much corona visible, except this one. I guess the "stars" on the disk of the moon are either "the ones the astronauts had to navigate around when the went to the moon" or the moon really is "made of swiss cheese" and that's sunlight shining through. And of course, the eclipse is out of focus, which hides a lot of photoshop flaws, while the rock and climber are in focus. Who shots an eclipse and focuses on the foreground? A BS shot all the way around. Reasonably good photoshop work, but it does an injustice to those of us who do real astro imaging.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm

DonTaylor wrote:I call BS on this one.
I call BS on you. Maybe you should read the other comments before adding your own. Maybe you should follow the links and read about how this image was made, how many people were there when it was made, and watch the related video.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 pm

In the NASA APOD's text, I have now added the astrophotographers name to the front of the list of people leading this great photographic effort.
- RJN

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Who said there is no i9ntelligent life here ? and very artistic ) Maybe in Wash DC but here ? Vast amounts populate thisplace. I watche NASA tv yedsterday and it was a tribute to the Voyager space program and there was a lady on the end of the panel, whose name was " Anna " . Very passionate. Who is she ? And the others not only passionate, also PHD's in science. Very happy to see the other side of cable tv. My father always told me not to watch just one channel Macular degeneration makes it a bit more challenging.
Wolf Kotenberg

Visual_Astronomer

Post by Visual_Astronomer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Having been to Smith Rock a number of times, I immediately recognised these as bugs.

Smith Rock is an extraordinary place under ordinary circumstances, it must have been amazing during the eclipse!

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:the difference is that the second from last character needs to be a capital "G", not the lower case "g" you have in the caption link.
Thanks (again). That fixed it.