APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse Close-Up in... (2017 Sep 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse Close-Up in... (2017 Sep 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 am

Image A Total Solar Eclipse Close-Up in Real Time

Explanation: How would you feel if the Sun disappeared? Many eclipse watchers across the USA surprised themselves with the awe that they felt and the exclamations that they made as the Sun momentarily disappeared behind the Moon. Perhaps expecting just a brief moment of dusk, the spectacle of unusually rapid darkness, breathtakingly bright glowing beads around the Moon's edge, shockingly pink solar prominences, and a strangely detailed corona stretching across the sky caught many a curmudgeon by surprise. Many of these attributes were captured in the featured real-time, three-minute video of last month's total solar eclipse. The video frames were acquired in Warm Springs, Oregon with equipment specifically designed by Jun Ho Oh to track a close-up of the Sun's periphery during eclipse. As the video ends, the Sun is seen being reborn on the other side of the Moon from where it departed.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse Close-Up in... (2017 Sep 12)

Post by owlice » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 am

Goosebumps!!!!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 am

Interesting way to show it... love the Prominence... and how they change as you come back around...

:---[===] *

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 am

Thank ya'll
Wolf Kotenberg

Little scarab

Post by Little scarab » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Superb
But IMO no less important parts are the voices and the music. Efficiently, they render no fear in their awe just acknowledgment to beauty of the event. I don't speak Korean (I think it is) and sound of voices are just perfect and sufficient to conduct emotional state facing this experience. Music is perfectly timed too.
Thank you

stargazr

Post by stargazr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 pm

no words to describe this. the talent and effort of the Rainbow Astro people demonstrates how humbling the universe can be. thank you deeply.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 pm

That is an awe-inspiring and highly educational video. I just had to watch it repeatedly, and then go back and replay certain parts. At the C2 point, the details of the lunar edge are amazing. I was surprised at first that you can't see the mountains of the Moon extend past the limb of the Sun, but it makes sense -- there is no light to show them once they pass that arc. After totality, once the aperture is changed to capture the corona, you can again see the irregularities in the lunar edge. Then, at the C3 point, as the Sun begins to emerge again, the diffraction in the light is really amazing and so beautiful.

I am not certain if this is an artifact, but I think I can see some variations in the corona as the video progresses. But with the camera motion and changes of settings, I cannot be at all certain about it. On this time scale, the prominences appear as frozen features.
Mark Goldfain

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Giddily makes one’s head spin. The learning curve just got round. :thumb_up:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm

At request, I swapped the video for an identical one that gives attribution to KAIST directly on the video itself. The old video also started automatically, but I turned that off.

- RJN

ellipseshadow
Asternaut

Post by ellipseshadow » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 pm

I noticed that the diamond effect was switched left-right. This movie had it at clock positions 5 and 11 in that order whereas I would expect it to be at 7 and 1. Is it just a case of how the camera is mounted?

moonshadow1

Post by moonshadow1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 am

Cool diffraction images as the "slit" gets smaller.

mararcin

Post by mararcin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:38 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm amazed at how moving it was.

Osh
Asternaut

Post by Osh » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Wow, like owlice said, goosebumps!! again!!! Comparing the voices in the background with my memory of the event, I'm sure it's just a difference in the sheer number of people witnessing, but where I was (University of SC campus) there was just overwhelming cheering as C2 approached, then the collective gasp when the diamond ring appeared. Still, this is an amazing video of something I got to check off of my bucket list...

Thank you!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Osh wrote:Wow, like owlice said, goosebumps!! again!!! Comparing the voices in the background with my memory of the event, I'm sure it's just a difference in the sheer number of people witnessing, but where I was (University of SC campus) there was just overwhelming cheering as C2 approached, then the collective gasp when the diamond ring appeared.
Where I observed it there wasn't anybody within sight or sound, so for me this was entirely an expression of nature. Interesting to see videos made around large groups of people. Both ways of experiencing an eclipse have their merits.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:12 pm

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL076054/abstract;jsessionid=593445D6DD960454ECF350DCEF876471.f04t03?system wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ionospheric Bow Waves and Perturbations Induced by the 21 August 2017 Solar Eclipse
Geophysical Research Letters: 26 December 2017

<<During solar eclipses, the Moon's shadow causes a large reduction in atmospheric energy input, including the stratosphere and both the thermosphere and ionosphere (∼100–1,000 km altitudes). Theoretical studies since the 1960s have predicted that the Moon's supersonic shadow should generate atmospheric bow waves, similar to a fast-moving river boat. However, observations were geographically limited for these weak and complicated waves. In 2017, high fidelity and wide coverage ionospheric observations were made using a North American Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) ∼2,000 receiver network. Eclipse passage generated clear ionospheric bow waves in electron content disturbances emanating from totality primarily over central/eastern United States. Study of wave characteristics reveals complex interconnections between the Sun, Moon, and Earth's neutral atmosphere and ionosphere.>>
Art Neuendorffer