APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 2998
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby APOD Robot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 am

Image NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea

Explanation: Adrift in a cosmic sea of stars and glowing gas the delicate, floating apparition left of center in this widefield view is cataloged as NGC 7635, the Bubble Nebula. A mere 10 light-years wide, the tiny Bubble Nebula was blown by the winds of a massive star. It lies within a larger complex of interstellar gas and dust clouds found about 11,000 light-years distant, straddling the boundary between the parental constellations Cepheus and Cassiopeia. Included in the breathtaking vista is open star cluster M52 (lower left), some 5,000 light-years away. Above and right of the Bubble Nebula is an emission region identified as Sh2-157, also known as the Claw Nebula. Constructed from 47 hours of narrow-band and broad-band exposures, this image spans about 3 degrees on the sky. That corresponds to a width of 500 light-years at the estimated distance of the Bubble Nebula.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby Boomer12k » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:34 am

And a "Fish head nebula" bluish, above to the right, and a tiny "Anime Fairy nebula" just above it...

This is an awesome piece of work. 47 hours of two types of information. Whew...

:---[===] *

De58te
Ensign
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby De58te » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:23 am

The blue nebula off the center right reminds me of a profile of the Muppet Show's pigs in space. Not Miss Piggy, but one of the porker assistants to the doctor in Pigs in Space, with the chubby snout, dark eye and forward curled ear. Step back from the screen about three feet and the image is better.

NCTom

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby NCTom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Wikipedia "Open Cluster" said perhaps only 10% of a molecular cloud will be used in star production. The remaining 90% will be dispersed by the radiation and winds from the first newborn stars. Would that indicate this beautiful nebula will have a life span of only a few hundred million years at most?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14429
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby neufer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:45 pm

NCTom wrote:
Wikipedia "Open Cluster" said perhaps only 10% of a molecular cloud will be used in star production. The remaining 90% will be dispersed by the radiation and winds from the first newborn stars. Would that indicate this beautiful nebula will have a life span of only a few hundred million years at most?

More likely: only a few million years at most.
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby ta152h0 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 pm

finest poetry exhibited at APOD. I also heard " un-nova ", " strangelets , " Galactic goldylock zone", nothing faster than the speed of light in reference to the first few billionth of a second after the Big Bang when nothing was actually speeding at that excessive velocity. Observing the evolving science comunity is very much fun.
Wolf Kotenberg

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 14429
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby neufer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
ta152h0 wrote:
finest poetry exhibited at APOD. I also heard " un-nova ", " strangelets , " Galactic goldylock zone", nothing faster than the speed of light in reference to the first few billionth of a second after the Big Bang when nothing was actually speeding at that excessive velocity.

Observing the evolving science comunity is very much fun.

OK, Bubble Boy, did you also hear of "the Moops" :?:
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: NGC 7635: Bubble in a Cosmic Sea (2017 Oct 26)

Postby ta152h0 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 am

What is next ? Marylin Monroe Nebula ? Wolf-Rayet stars ?
Wolf Kotenberg


Return to “The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest