APOD: A Dust Jet from the Surface of Comet 67P (2017 Nov 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Dust Jet from the Surface of Comet 67P (2017 Nov 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 am

Image A Dust Jet from the Surface of Comet 67P

Explanation: Where do comet tails come from? There are no obvious places on the nuclei of comets from which the jets that create comet tails emanate. Last year, though, ESA's Rosetta spacecraft not only imaged a jet emerging from Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, but flew right through it. Featured is a telling picture showing a bright plume emerging from a small circular dip bounded on one side by a 10-meter high wall. Analyses of Rosetta data shows that the jet was composed of both dust and water-ice. The mundane terrain indicates that something likely happened far under the porous surface to create the plume. This image was taken last July, about two months before Rosetta's mission ended with a controlled impact onto Comet 67P's surface.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: A Dust Jet from the Surface of Comet 67P (2017 Nov 06)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:20 am

Good image...

:---[===] *

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:56 am

Wow. Seeing the surface of a comet! Pretty jet of tail-stuff! When I was born 77 years ago we knew so little about any solar system denizen. We thought Mercury's rotation period was the same as its orbital period. I remember heartbreak when I read in the Toronto Globe and Mail that radio astronomers had measured below the clouds of Venus and instead of the oceans, continents, and maybe dinosaurs we had all hoped for ... extremely high temperatures revealing Venus to be a fine candidate to be hell. What a disappointment! There will surely never ever be a manned visit to Venus! And Mars turned out to have so little water, and so much radiation, that I don't believe that it can ever be a new home for us. And the stars are still so very, very, far away....

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:42 pm

• A wheezing old geyser choking on its own crud?
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm

heehaw wrote:
When I was born 77 years ago we knew so little about any solar system denizen. We thought Mercury's rotation period was the same as its orbital period. I remember heartbreak when I read in the Toronto Globe and Mail that radio astronomers had measured below the clouds of Venus and instead of the oceans, continents, and maybe dinosaurs we had all hoped for ...
SpaceX might even have been able to send you to a Dinosaur Park on Venus.
  • What could go wrong :!:
heehaw wrote:
And Mars turned out to have so little water, and so much radiation, that I don't believe that it can ever be a new home for us.
And the Martians might even have been able to send their own tourists to Grover's Mill, New Jersey.
  • What could go wrong :!:
Art Neuendorffer

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:14 pm

neufer wrote:.
Or a sneezing geezer chock-full of its own crude? :yes:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:13 pm

I find the picture quite interesting.

Ann
Color Commentator

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Very interesting image
This geyser of dust and water-ice is very small,
the surface of the Comet is very big ( relative )

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the links as well, in particular the "mundane terrain" one that shows the precise area before the plume erupted.
Fascinating!
John

melrod

Post by melrod » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Pictures like this give me a sense of relatable place compared to the grandeur of a galaxy or wondrous enormity of a nebula.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 pm

heehaw wrote:... There will surely never ever be a manned visit to Venus! And Mars turned out to have so little water, and so much radiation, that I don't believe that it can ever be a new home for us. And the stars are still so very, very, far away ...
"Never ever?" I have hope! Or at least, if we never set foot on Venus, we still might learn to inhabit its atmosphere.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
-- Lao Tsu
Mark Goldfain

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 pm

MarkBour wrote:
heehaw wrote:
... There will surely never ever be a manned visit to Venus! And Mars turned out to have so little water, and so much radiation, that I don't believe that it can ever be a new home for us. And the stars are still so very, very, far away ...
"Never ever?" I have hope! Or at least, if we never set foot on Venus, we still might learn to inhabit its atmosphere.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
-- Lao Tsu
  • One need only take "a single step" outside in Beijing today
    to experience a simulated trip to Venus's atmosphere:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus wrote:
<<Venusian clouds are thick and are composed mainly (75-96%) of sulfuric acid droplets. Venus's sulfuric acid rain never reaches the ground, but is evaporated by the heat before reaching the surface in a phenomenon known as virga. The sulfuric acid droplets can be highly electrically charged, and so they offer the potential for lightning. Venus' small induced magnetosphere provides negligible protection to the atmosphere against cosmic radiation. This radiation may result in cloud-to-cloud lightning discharges. Analysis of data from the Venera, Pioneer, and Magellan missions has found the chemicals hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) together in the upper atmosphere, as well as carbonyl sulfide (OCS). In addition, one of the early Venera probes detected large amounts of toxic chlorine just below the Venusian cloud deck.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Buddy
Ensign

Post by Buddy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:02 am

melrod wrote:Pictures like this give me a sense of relatable place compared to the grandeur of a galaxy or wondrous enormity of a nebula.
Same here. I find the nebula and galaxy pictures interesting, but I like the pictures of solid bodies better.

Buddy
Ensign

Post by Buddy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 am

heehaw wrote:Wow. Seeing the surface of a comet! Pretty jet of tail-stuff! When I was born 77 years ago we knew so little about any solar system denizen. We thought Mercury's rotation period was the same as its orbital period. I remember heartbreak when I read in the Toronto Globe and Mail that radio astronomers had measured below the clouds of Venus and instead of the oceans, continents, and maybe dinosaurs we had all hoped for ... extremely high temperatures revealing Venus to be a fine candidate to be hell. What a disappointment! There will surely never ever be a manned visit to Venus! And Mars turned out to have so little water, and so much radiation, that I don't believe that it can ever be a new home for us. And the stars are still so very, very, far away....
I remember reading somewhere that humans will never, ever venture to the stars, not now or in the next billion years. The reason, genetic sciences are advancing by leaps and bounds. The current state of GMO is just the tip of the iceberg. What will go to the stars might originate from humans, but will be so adapted to space travel as to be not in the same genus as us. Like the differences among the great apes.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Buddy wrote:I remember reading somewhere that humans will never, ever venture to the stars, not now or in the next billion years. The reason, genetic sciences are advancing by leaps and bounds. The current state of GMO is just the tip of the iceberg. What will go to the stars might originate from humans, but will be so adapted to space travel as to be not in the same genus as us. Like the differences among the great apes.
Robo sapiens, or astro sapiens. ... and that "species" may already exist.
Mark Goldfain

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 pm

neufer wrote:.
:lol2:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 pm

JohnD wrote:Thanks for all the links as well, in particular the "mundane terrain" one that shows the precise area before the plume erupted.
Fascinating!
John
Indeed. The depression surrounding the jet's vent reminds me of a volcanic caldera here on Earth.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Bird_Man
Ensign

Post by Bird_Man » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Fascinating image - much different than I expected the surface of a comet to look like.
I wonder if the circular structures to the left of the active vent are the sites of previous venting.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Bird_Man wrote:
Fascinating image - much different than I expected the surface of a comet to look like.
I wonder if the circular structures to the left of the active vent are the sites of previous venting.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/vent wrote:
vent (v.) late 14c., "emit from a confined space," probably a shortening of aventer "expose oneself to the air" (c. 1300), from Old French eventer "let out, expose to air," from Vulgar Latin *exventare, from Latin ex "out" + ventus "wind" (see wind (n.1)). Sense of "express freely" first recorded 1590s. Sense of "divulge, publish" (1590s) is behind phrase vent one's spleen.

vent (n.) c. 1400, "anus," from Old French vent from verb eventer (see vent (v.)) and in part from Middle English aventer, from the French verb. Perhaps also merged with or influenced by Middle English fent "opening or slit in a the front of a garment (usually held closed with a brooch)," c. 1400, from Old French fente, from Latin findere "to split". Meaning "outlet for water," also "air hole, breathing hole" is from mid-15c.
Art Neuendorffer