APOD: Clouds of Andromeda (2018 Jan 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
MarkBour
Commander

Re: APOD: Clouds of Andromeda (2018 Jan 08)

Postby MarkBour » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
MarkBour wrote:
neufer wrote:You don't see a red spiral :?:

Now I'm pretty sure you're having fun with me. So instead of trying to see what you're talking about, I'm trying to remember who said what. But, alas, I get it not.

Try looking for red inside "the great galaxy in Andromeda" instead of around it.

Thank you, Bruce. Art, is this what you meant?
I guess what threw me was Art's: '... "scattered hundreds of light-years" above Andromeda's arms'.
At this distance, hundreds of light years only amounts to what, a pixel? Always, my intuition leads me astray.
I'm really only responding at this point because I may not have been the only one thrown off by that.

But then, bringing the discussion back to the debate about the title, assuming Art is correct, then this really is an image of the clouds of Andromeda, in the sense that others have said it was not.
Mark Goldfain

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Mark "seemingly tangled in the dust"

Postby neufer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:11 pm

MarkBour wrote:
I guess what threw me was Art's: '... "scattered hundreds of light-years" above Andromeda's arms'.
At this distance, hundreds of light years only amounts to what, a pixel? Always, my intuition leads me astray.

But then, bringing the discussion back to the debate about the title, assuming Art is correct, then this really is an image of the clouds of Andromeda, in the sense that others have said it was not.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap151012.html wrote:
<<The galaxy seemingly tangled in the dust is the striking spiral galaxy NGC 7497 some 60 million light-years away. Seen almost edge-on near the center of the field, NGC 7497's own spiral arms and dust lanes echo the colors of the Milky Way's stars and dust. >>
Art Neuendorffer

Return to “The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day”