APOD: In the Valley of Orion (2018 Jan 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: In the Valley of Orion (2018 Jan 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 am

Image In the Valley of Orion

Explanation: This exciting and unfamiliar view of the Orion Nebula is a visualization based on astronomical data and movie rendering techniques. Up close and personal with a famous stellar nursery normally seen from 1,500 light-years away, the digitally modeled frame transitions from a visible light representation based on Hubble data on the left to infrared data from the Spitzer Space Telescope on the right. The perspective at the center looks along a valley over a light-year wide, in the wall of the region's giant molecular cloud. Orion's valley ends in a cavity carved by the energetic winds and radiation of the massive central stars of the Trapezium star cluster. The single frame is part of a multiwavelength, three-dimensional video that lets the viewer experience an immersive, three minute flight through the Great Nebula of Orion.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

rj rl
Ensign

Re: APOD: In the Valley of Orion (2018 Jan 17)

Post by rj rl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 am

The walls are surprisingly opaque when looking from within. The night skies on a planet in that valley would be an interesting sight.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am

Very unusual image; the three minute flight video is very interesting viewing, also - nice job, APOD! 8-)
Forget the box, just get outside.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:54 pm

It’s like being mesmerized by a familiar setting within a beautiful fog.
IMG_1385.JPG
Thanks for such a wonderful new perspective! 8-)
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Interesting visuals, but I question the choice of Dvorak's serenade music, which is gentle, boring and actually depressing. If you were actually sailing through the nebula, your life would be in constant danger from bombardment of deadly gamma rays, cosmic rays and ionized nuclear particles. Not to mention oxygen gas would be pretty rare and you'd have a difficult time just to breathe. A more appropriate music for the occasion would be Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride, or the Beatles Helter Skelter. "I'm coming down fast but I am miles above you. When I get to the bottom I go back to the top! On a cloud of sound I drift in the night. Any place it goes is right. Goes far, flies near. To the stars away from here. Well, you don't know what we can find on a Magic Nebula Ride."

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Beautiful, and quite similar to a sequence from the Hubble 3D (2010) movie, narrated by DiCaprio.
Intuitively the valley looks weird, as the view is distinctly not isotropic, with a clear open space on the near side and a fluffy nebulous bedding on the far side. Pretty, but how realistic?

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

I live in a valley and get a lot of fog also. Different mechanism, I am sure.
Wolf Kotenberg

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Wow! It's essential, IMHO, to go and see that video - the APOD just hasn't enough to make it comprehensible otherwise!

There's a short part of the sequence, around 1:30, where the PoV flies past an appprently solid object, that appears to move from centre to lower left. It looks like a dandelion seed, complete with canopy. Has someone put a Larry Niven Starseed in there?

But what would the sky look like, from a planet around one of the nebula's stars? Is it old enough to imagine life there? They would have to be poets.

John

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:37 pm

JohnD wrote:But what would the sky look like, from a planet around one of the nebula's stars?
Well, the nebula would be no brighter than it appears to us with our naked eye from here. So what you'd likely have would be a night sky that is somewhat lighter than we have here (imagine the Milky Way spread out uniformly across the entire sky), and a lot fewer stars (but maybe a few very bright ones). So overall, probably a much less impressive night sky than we have.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ho Diddle

Post by Ho Diddle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

JohnD wrote:There's a short part of the sequence, around 1:30, where the PoV flies past an appprently solid object, that appears to move from centre to lower left. It looks like a dandelion seed, complete with canopy. Has someone put a Larry Niven Starseed in there?

John
That looks to me like a natal star with a protoplanetary disc emitting jets and showing bow shock at one end where it's moving against the flow of the molecular cloud. It's closer to 1:50 in the video.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Such a great view of one of my favorite places...but poses a question.... then what is the biggest valley in the galaxy? In the Universe?

:---[===] *