APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3212
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:06 am

Image The Tadpoles of IC 410

Explanation: This telescopic close-up shows off the otherwise faint emission nebula IC 410. It also features two remarkable inhabitants of the cosmic pond of gas and dust below and left of center, the tadpoles of IC 410. Partly obscured by foreground dust, the nebula itself surrounds NGC 1893, a young galactic cluster of stars. Formed in the interstellar cloud a mere 4 million years ago, the intensely hot, bright cluster stars energize the glowing gas. Composed of denser cooler gas and dust, the tadpoles are around 10 light-years long and are likely sites of ongoing star formation. Sculpted by winds and radiation from the cluster stars, their heads are outlined by bright ridges of ionized gas while their tails trail away from the cluster's central region. IC 410 lies some 10,000 light-years away, toward the nebula-rich constellation Auriga.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am

Really awesome and clear!!!

:---[===] *

ta152h0
Schooled
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Auburn, Washington, USA

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 am

New animal " planck Star "
Wolf Kotenberg

distefanom
Ensign
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:19 am

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by distefanom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

It's striking & surprising how in 1969, in the movie: 2001 a Space Odissey
in the well known final slitscan scene, Kubrick reproduced this scene in *real time* at the end of he's wonderful movie!!!
have a look at the two attached images... astonishing!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15051
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by neufer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm

APOD Robot wrote:
Composed of denser cooler gas and dust, the tadpoles are around 10 light-years long.
IC 410 lies some 10,000 light-years away, toward the nebula-rich constellation Auriga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadpole wrote:
Image
<<In Ancient Egyptian numerals, a hieroglyphic representing
a tadpole was used to denote the value of 100,000.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Visual_Astronomer

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by Visual_Astronomer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:37 pm

I was looking at this just last week - didn't try to see the "tadpoles", but I find IC 410 is much easier to see than its more famous neighbor "The Flaming Star".

OkeeDokee

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by OkeeDokee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:37 pm

neufer wrote:
<<In Ancient Egyptian numerals, a hieroglyphic representing
a tadpole was used to denote the value of 100,000.>>

If you've ever seen a tadpole migration you'll know why.

OkeeDokee

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by OkeeDokee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:40 pm

OkeeDokee wrote:
neufer wrote:
<<In Ancient Egyptian numerals, a hieroglyphic representing
a tadpole was used to denote the value of 100,000.>>

If you've ever seen a tadpole migration you'll know why.

These images don't begin to tell it. https://www.google.ca/search?q=tadpole+ ... zTSQcJoAM:

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15051
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: The Tadpoles of IC 410 (2018 Jan 24)

Post by neufer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
OkeeDokee wrote:
OkeeDokee wrote:
neufer wrote:
<<In Ancient Egyptian numerals, a hieroglyphic representing
a tadpole was used to denote the value of 100,000.>>

If you've ever seen a tadpole migration you'll know why.

These images don't begin to tell it. https://www.google.ca/search?q=tadpole+ ... zTSQcJoAM:
Art Neuendorffer