APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3212
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 am

Image A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos Aires

Explanation: What's happened to top of the Sun? Last week, parts of Earth's southern hemisphere were treated to a partial solar eclipse, where the Moon blocks out part of the Sun. The featured image was taken toward the end of the eclipse from the coast of Uruguay overlooking Argentina's Buenos Aires. Light-house adorned Farallón Island is seen in the foreground, and a plane is visible just to the left of the Sun. The image is actually a digital combination of two consecutive exposures taken with the same camera using the same settings -- one taken of the landscape and another of the background Sun. The next solar eclipse visible on Earth will be another partial eclipse occurring in mid-July and visible from parts of southern Australia including Tasmania.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2243
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 am

Things to do in Buenos Aires...

Watch the ECLIPSE....

:---[===] *

User avatar
Cousin Ricky
Science Officer
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm
Location: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (+18.3, -64.9)

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Cousin Ricky » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Anyone see evidence in this photo that the Earth is round?

Why do we have to address this matter in 2018?

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13805
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:Anyone see evidence in this photo that the Earth is round?

Why do we have to address this matter in 2018?
We don't.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

tetrodehead

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by tetrodehead » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm

We all know that the earth is "round". It's a flat disk...

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13805
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:05 pm

tetrodehead wrote:We all know that the earth is "round". It's a flat disk...
Set across the backs of four elephants which stand upon a giant turtle.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15051
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm

tetrodehead wrote:
We all know that the earth is "round". It's a flat disk...
Seinfeld: Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round... They should call it Roundtine.
Art Neuendorffer

RustyBrowninCda

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by RustyBrowninCda » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm

neufer wrote:
tetrodehead wrote:
We all know that the earth is "round". It's a flat disk...
Seinfeld: Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round... They should call it Roundtine.
And why is it we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

heehaw

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by heehaw » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:Anyone see evidence in this photo that the Earth is round?
Why do we have to address this matter in 2018?
Because not everyone is convinced: https://www.tfes.org

User avatar
Cousin Ricky
Science Officer
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm
Location: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (+18.3, -64.9)

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Cousin Ricky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:01 pm

heehaw wrote:
Cousin Ricky wrote:Anyone see evidence in this photo that the Earth is round?
Why do we have to address this matter in 2018?
Because not everyone is convinced: https://www.tfes.org
I know. I met one of them last November. He fancied himself a critical thinker. (Head, meet desk.)

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15051
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by neufer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:
heehaw wrote:
Cousin Ricky wrote:
Anyone see evidence in this photo that the Earth is round?
Why do we have to address this matter in 2018?
Because not everyone is convinced: https://www.tfes.org
I know. I met one of them last November. He fancied himself a critical thinker. (Head, meet desk.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder wrote:
<<Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is defined as "a pattern of angry/irritable mood, argumentative/defiant behavior, or vindictiveness". Signs and symptoms were: actively refuses to comply with authority figures's requests or with rules; performs actions deliberately to annoy others; is angry and resentful of others; argues often; blames others for their own mistakes; frequently loses temper; is spiteful or seeks revenge; and is touchy or easily annoyed.>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Cousin Ricky
Science Officer
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm
Location: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (+18.3, -64.9)

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Cousin Ricky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:44 pm

neufer wrote:
Cousin Ricky wrote:
heehaw wrote: Because not everyone is convinced: https://www.tfes.org
I know. I met one of them last November. He fancied himself a critical thinker. (Head, meet desk.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder wrote:
<<Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is defined as "a pattern of angry/irritable mood, argumentative/defiant behavior, or vindictiveness". Signs and symptoms were: actively refuses to comply with authority figures's requests or with rules; performs actions deliberately to annoy others; is angry and resentful of others; argues often; blames others for their own mistakes; frequently loses temper; is spiteful or seeks revenge; and is touchy or easily annoyed.>>
I didn’t see these symptoms in this guy. He just honestly believed that he had research to prove the Earth is flat, that all those NASA photos were faked, and that NASA even admitted it.

keerthi

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by keerthi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 am

This looks like a composite image to me. Isn't the sun too big compared to the surroundings? Also, the turbulence around the sun is not seen in the foreground. The foreground also seems to be shot with a wider focal length compared to the sun.
Can someone please explain how this image is possible?

Thanks and Regards,
Keerthi

keerthi

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by keerthi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:57 am

Please ignore my earlier message. The description clearly says this is a composite with sun and foreground taken at different times.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13805
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 am

keerthi wrote:Please ignore my earlier message. The description clearly says this is a composite with sun and foreground taken at different times.
Well, yes, the caption does say that. Oddly, the captions on the imager's pages doesn't seem to suggest it is anything but a single shot. That said, even if it is a composite, nothing suggests there is a different scale between the two. The Sun is correctly positioned and correctly sized with respect to the background.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Cousin Ricky
Science Officer
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 pm
Location: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (+18.3, -64.9)

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Cousin Ricky » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:49 pm

keerthi wrote:This looks like a composite image to me. Isn't the sun too big compared to the surroundings? Also, the turbulence around the sun is not seen in the foreground. The foreground also seems to be shot with a wider focal length compared to the sun.
Can someone please explain how this image is possible?
Have you seen where Farallón Island is on the map in relation to Buenos Aires? The Sun is expected to appear that large at the required zoom setting for that shot. The fact that you cannot see ground level in Buenos Aires (which is what I alluded to with my round Earth comment) gives a hint of the distance from the camera to the city—about 50 km.

eduardo_l_roman@yahoo.com.ar

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by eduardo_l_roman@yahoo.com.ar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote:
keerthi wrote:This looks like a composite image to me. Isn't the sun too big compared to the surroundings? Also, the turbulence around the sun is not seen in the foreground. The foreground also seems to be shot with a wider focal length compared to the sun.
Can someone please explain how this image is possible?
Have you seen where Farallón Island is on the map in relation to Buenos Aires? The Sun is expected to appear that large at the required zoom setting for that shot. The fact that you cannot see ground level in Buenos Aires (which is what I alluded to with my round Earth comment) gives a hint of the distance from the camera to the city—about 50 km.
It is impossible that you can see the coast of Buenos Aires from the Farallón Island, the curvature of the Earth prevents it.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13805
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Partial Solar Eclipse over Buenos... (2018 Feb 20)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:24 pm

eduardo_l_roman@yahoo.com.ar wrote:
Cousin Ricky wrote: Have you seen where Farallón Island is on the map in relation to Buenos Aires? The Sun is expected to appear that large at the required zoom setting for that shot. The fact that you cannot see ground level in Buenos Aires (which is what I alluded to with my round Earth comment) gives a hint of the distance from the camera to the city—about 50 km.
It is impossible that you can see the coast of Buenos Aires from the Farallón Island, the curvature of the Earth prevents it.
That depends, of course, on the height of the observer. In the case of this image, that height appears to have resulted in everything below a few tens of meters at the coastline being blocked by Earth's curvature.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com