APOD: The Snows of Churyumov-Gerasimenko (2018 Apr 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: The Snows of Churyumov-Gerasimenko (2018 Apr 26)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:59 am

neufer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 pm
kevinmcc29 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm
When John Glenn was orbiting the Earth in his Mercury capsule, he reported a similar phemomenon, a cloud of bright white snowflake-like, star-like objects around the capsule. Could that have been something like what we're seeing here? :?:
I think that a second imaging instrument (eyeball) to provide 'binocular vision' would have been helpful. Cosmic rays will only be able to strike one of the eyeballs, thereby providing the ability to either remove them from the real image, or give the ability to visualize the 'cosmic rays' without the background image. The cost of the second other eyeball would have been inconsequential with respect to the cost of the mission, and the science value would be great.
Well, as I noted earlier, this could easily have added tens of millions of dollars to the mission cost and compromised other instruments. I'm not sure how much science value would have been added- the two cameras would be too close for stereo vision, and cosmic rays don't really compromise the data. Had there been significant science value, a second camera would have been proposed and either accepted or rejected after a long science and engineering review process (I've been in such meetings).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:51 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:59 am
neufer wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 pm
kevinmcc29 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm
When John Glenn was orbiting the Earth in his Mercury capsule, he reported a similar phemomenon, a cloud of bright white snowflake-like, star-like objects around the capsule. Could that have been something like what we're seeing here? :?:
I think that a second imaging instrument (eyeball) to provide 'binocular vision' would have been helpful. Cosmic rays will only be able to strike one of the eyeballs, thereby providing the ability to either remove them from the real image, or give the ability to visualize the 'cosmic rays' without the background image. The cost of the second other eyeball would have been inconsequential with respect to the cost of the mission, and the science value would be great.
Well, as I noted earlier, this could easily have added tens of millions of dollars to the mission cost and compromised other instruments. I'm not sure how much science value would have been added- the two cameras would be too close for stereo vision, and cosmic rays don't really compromise the data. Had there been significant science value, a second camera would have been proposed and either accepted or rejected after a long science and engineering review process (I've been in such meetings).
:shock: My "comments" were in regard to John Glenn's actual eyeballs.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:43 am

neufer wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:51 am
:shock: My "comments" were in regard to John Glenn's actual eyeballs.
Oh. Never mind.

(I recall seeing pictures of snowy stuff outside the window of some early space mission. Something like ice breaking free? Anyway, real stuff, not a visual artifact of some kind. People can and do see cosmic rays, both from retinal impacts and impacts in the visual cortex. But even in space they're just here and there. If they looked like snow, you'd be quickly dead.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

perigalacticon
Asternaut

Post by perigalacticon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:29 am

Is there any size reference available for the images? IE how big is that boulder-looking feature or how high is that cliff-looking feature?

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 am

I asked first! (Post 4)
John

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 pm

JohnD wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 am
Extraordinary! And taken from orbit 13kms away? Doubly so, one might be walking across the surface!

What's the scale? Those rocks bottom right could be pebble, football or house sized, I presume the latter given the distance.
The Narrow angle OSIRIS camera has a field of view of 2.4 by 2.4 degrees or 560m x 560m from this distance.

(The CN Tower in Toronto is a 553.3 m-high.)
Art Neuendorffer

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Hmmmmm! So those rocks are BIG house sized! Or rather apartment block sized!!!
Thanks, neufer, gives a whole new perception to that scene.
John

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 pm

The image is 491 px wide, and the large squarish block bottom-right (indicated below) is about 40 px wide. Poking my calculator tells me that rock is therefore about 45.6 m or about 150 of King John's feet in width. As it appears more or less square, that makes it roughly 15 stories high. That's a hunk of rock!

rock.jpeg
rock.jpeg (18.6 KiB) Viewed 30177 times
Rob

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 pm

rstevenson wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 pm
As it appears more or less square, that makes it roughly 15 stories high.

That's a hunk of rock!
  • Mean density of Churyumov–Gerasimenko ~ 533 kg/m3
    Surface gravity ~ 0.0001 Earth's gravity

'Effective weight' of boulder ~ 2 or 3 tons.
Art Neuendorffer