APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Post by rstevenson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 pm
This Earth crossing asteroid is being eyed for potential mining operations:
As of May 2018, according to the Asterank website, operated by Planetary Resources, the current value of Ryugu for mining purposes is speculated to be US$82.76 billion, and the chemical composition of the asteroid is claimed to be of nickel, iron, cobalt, water, nitrogen, hydrogen and ammonia.
Try to imagine getting planning permission (from whom?) to alter the orbit of an asteroid such that, in a few years time, it gently comes up on the Earth from behind and can then be nudged into a stable orbit for nearby resource extraction. Imagine the Chicken Little reaction from luddites everywhere. Might be better to extract the useful material out there in the distance, and shoot smallish chunks of it towards the Earth/Moon for capture. Makes a smaller Kaboom! if you miscalculate.

Rob

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14003
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 pm

rstevenson wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:57 pm
This Earth crossing asteroid is being eyed for potential mining operations:
As of May 2018, according to the Asterank website, operated by Planetary Resources, the current value of Ryugu for mining purposes is speculated to be US$82.76 billion, and the chemical composition of the asteroid is claimed to be of nickel, iron, cobalt, water, nitrogen, hydrogen and ammonia.
Try to imagine getting planning permission (from whom?) to alter the orbit of an asteroid such that, in a few years time, it gently comes up on the Earth from behind and can then be nudged into a stable orbit for nearby resource extraction. Imagine the Chicken Little reaction from luddites everywhere. Might be better to extract the useful material out there in the distance, and shoot smallish chunks of it towards the Earth/Moon for capture. Makes a smaller Kaboom! if you miscalculate.

Rob
I am no Luddite, but I would strenuously oppose the development and use of technology to move around space rocks!
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15396
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Post by neufer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 pm
rstevenson wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Try to imagine getting planning permission (from whom?) to alter the orbit of an asteroid such that, in a few years time, it gently comes up on the Earth from behind and can then be nudged into a stable orbit for nearby resource extraction. Imagine the Chicken Little reaction from luddites everywhere. Might be better to extract the useful material out there in the distance, and shoot smallish chunks of it towards the Earth/Moon for capture. Makes a smaller Kaboom! if you miscalculate.
I am no Luddite, but I would strenuously oppose the development and use of technology to move around space rocks!
  • Isn't that a direct T. Rex quote :?:
Art Neuendorffer

Still Glam

Re: APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Post by Still Glam » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:43 pm

neufer wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 am
Chris Peterson wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 pm
rstevenson wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Try to imagine getting planning permission (from whom?) to alter the orbit of an asteroid such that, in a few years time, it gently comes up on the Earth from behind and can then be nudged into a stable orbit for nearby resource extraction. Imagine the Chicken Little reaction from luddites everywhere. Might be better to extract the useful material out there in the distance, and shoot smallish chunks of it towards the Earth/Moon for capture. Makes a smaller Kaboom! if you miscalculate.
I am no Luddite, but I would strenuously oppose the development and use of technology to move around space rocks!
  • Isn't that a direct T. Rex quote :?:
Get It On !

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15396
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:32 pm

.
I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play.

Oh, dreidel, dreidel, dreidel
I made it out of clay
Oh, dreidel, dreidel, dreidel
Now dreidel I shall play.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15396
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Hayabusa2 Approaches Asteroid Ryugu (2018 Jun 25)

Post by neufer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 pm

http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/en/topics/20180731e/index.html wrote:

A stereoscopic image of Ryugu at high resolution

<<The article posted on July 25, 2018 introduced an image captured when Hayabusa2 descended towards asteroid Ryugu, reaching an altitude of just 6km above the surface. At this time, we also took photographs in which the viewing angle towards the asteroid gradually changed as Ryugu rotated. Using the previously published image and a second image from a slightly different angle (see the referlence at the end of this page), we created a composite frame where the two photographs are superimposed in red and blue. If you view this image with red-blue stereoscopic glasses (right eye should be blue, left eye is red), you can see this high resolution image of the asteroid in three-dimensions and explore the shape and topography of this small world.>>

:arrow: A red and blue stereoscopic image of Ryugu, prepared from the images taken by the Optical Navigation Camera - Telescopic (ONC-T) at an altitude of 6km. The images were taken on July 20, 2018.

Image credit:JAXA, University of Aizu, University of Tokyo, Kochi University, Rikkyo University, Nagoya University, Chiba Institute of Technology, Meiji University and AIST.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15396
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

MINERVA hoppers land on Ryugu (MASCOTs to follow)

Post by neufer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 am

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/minerva-ii1-successful-landing.html wrote:










:arrow: This image was captured by MINERVA-II1 Rover-1A on September 22 at around 2:44 UTC. The image was captured mid-hop after a successful landing.









This is an artist’s illustration of the three hopping rovers on Ryuku’s surface with MINERVA-II1A and MINERVA-II1B (left and center), and MINERVA-II2 (right) exploring the surface of the asteroid Ryugu. JAXA
Art Neuendorffer