APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3270
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 am

Image Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach

Explanation: What's that spot next to the Moon? Venus. Two days ago, the crescent Moon slowly drifted past Venus, appearing within just two degrees at its closest. This conjunction, though, was just one of several photographic adventures for our Moon this month (moon-th), because, for one, a partial solar eclipse occurred just a few days before, on July 12. Currently, the Moon appears to be brightening, as seen from the Earth, as the fraction of its face illuminated by the Sun continues to increase. In a few days, the Moon will appear more than half full, and therefore be in its gibbous phase. Next week the face of the Moon that always faces the Earth will become, as viewed from the Earth, completely illuminated by the Sun. Even this full phase will bring an adventure, though, as a total eclipse of this Thunder Moon will occur on July 27. Don't worry about our Luna getting tired, though, because she'll be new again next month (moon-th) -- August 11 to be exact -- just as she causes another partial eclipse of the Sun. Pictured, Venus and the Moon were captured from Cannon Beach above a rock formation off the Oregon (USA) coast known as the Needles. About an hour after this image was taken, the spin of the Earth caused both Venus and the Moon to set.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by alter-ego » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am

APOD Robot wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 am
... within just two degrees at its closest.
That's not right. The moon (center) / Venus separation was just within 0.7°. Less than 1° is evident just looking at the image.
So, as seen from the West Coast, which this image is, the minimum separation approaches 1/2°. On the East Coast, the minimum visible separation is 2°. Location, location, location.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am

Here in beautiful Oregon...

:---[===] *

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 13885
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

alter-ego wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am
APOD Robot wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 am
... within just two degrees at its closest.
That's not right. The moon (center) / Venus separation was just within 0.7°. Less than 1° is evident just looking at the image.
So, as seen from the West Coast, which this image is, the minimum separation approaches 1/2°. On the East Coast, the minimum visible separation is 2°. Location, location, location.
Maybe some confusion with the previous night's conjunction, when the Moon and Mercury were just two degrees apart?
_
E7_41667p.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15223
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm
alter-ego wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am
APOD Robot wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 am
... within just two degrees at its closest.
That's not right. The moon (center) / Venus separation was just within 0.7°. Less than 1° is evident just looking at the image.
So, as seen from the West Coast, which this image is, the minimum separation approaches 1/2°. On the East Coast, the minimum visible separation is 2°. Location, location, location.
Maybe some confusion with the previous night's conjunction, when the Moon and Mercury were just two degrees apart?
  • More likely: a computer program was used that doesn't take into account the fact
    that the position of the Moon varies by ±1º depending upon one's position on Earth.

    Who are you going to believe: a computer program or your own eyes :?:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
RJN
Baffled Boffin
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Michigan Tech

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by RJN » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm

alter-ego wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am
The moon (center) / Venus separation was just within 0.7°.
This oversight has now been fixed on the main NASA APOD. Thanks!
- RJN

heehaw

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by heehaw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:21 am

Whew!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15223
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:46 am

RJN wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:36 pm
alter-ego wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am

The moon (center) / Venus separation was just within 0.7°.
This oversight has now been fixed on the main NASA APOD. Thanks!- RJN
  • He "realized there was some need for clarification" about his remarks
    when he had said the words 'two degrees' instead of 'one degree'
    but at least we can all be thankful that "THERE WAS NO COLLISION :!: "
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by alter-ego » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 am

neufer wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm
alter-ego wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 am

That's not right. The moon (center) / Venus separation was just within 0.7°. Less than 1° is evident just looking at the image.
So, as seen from the West Coast, which this image is, the minimum separation approaches 1/2°. On the East Coast, the minimum visible separation is 2°. Location, location, location.
Maybe some confusion with the previous night's conjunction, when the Moon and Mercury were just two degrees apart?
  • More likely: a computer program was used that doesn't take into account the fact
    that the position of the Moon varies by ±1º depending upon one's position on Earth.
Based on the 2018 astronomical calendar link, what explains this disconnect the best (and without an erroneous computer program) is that geocentric coordinates are used. Though not as practical for lunar positions because of the relatively large parallax earthlings can easily see, geocentric coordinates do provide an accurate, valid description.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

C A Bruce

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by C A Bruce » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 pm

What am I missing??
If this is the Oregon coast, and I see water, then I'm looking west. Correct???
I see Venus, and I see a full moon... How can I see a FM right after sunset...
Was a special lens, filter, or some other magical photog device used???
Inquiring minds find this odd...
I have been watching APOD for many years and find it fascinating and quite
educational.
Thank you, Robert N. and all who help make this site available to us..

Best wishes C A Bruce (WP2N)

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 17316
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Moon and Venus over Cannon Beach (2018 Jul 17)

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 pm

C A Bruce wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:19 pm
What am I missing??
If this is the Oregon coast, and I see water, then I'm looking west. Correct???
I see Venus, and I see a full moon... How can I see a FM right after sunset...

It's not full. It's a waxing crescent, just before first quarter. The full moon occurs on July 27th.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor