APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
coffeesippin

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by coffeesippin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:26 pm

And you can bet your anti-gravity boots they're working hard on Time Travel while they're at it.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 15425
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:29 pm
neufer wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 am
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 pm

An additional problem with having planets in and around globulars would be the extremely low metal content of the material that created these star systems. Way back when these star systems were forming there wasn't hardly any heavy elements yet, so forming rocky planets would have been much harder.
There wasn't hardly any heavy elements yet :?:
Some, but not nearly as much as when our solar system formed. M15's metal content is now found to be -2.37 dec, or only 10^-2.37 = 0.00427 times the sun's value. My inference would be that it might well have been much harder for rocky planets to have formed out of material so thinly enriched with metals. It takes a lot of rocks to make rocky planets. Bruce
`Then you should say what you mean,’ the March Hare went on.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14006
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 pm

coffeesippin wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm
I hope the NASA National Security Advisors are more up to date than a couple of participants here .. the Chinese are set to get non-local communication going soon. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06 ... d-distance
And that matters why? Even conventional encryption methods are not practically breakable now. Adding another isn't going to change much.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
MarkBour
Subtle Signal
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 pm
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by MarkBour » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm

coffeesippin wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm
I hope the NASA National Security Advisors are more up to date than a couple of participants here .. the Chinese are set to get non-local communication going soon. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06 ... d-distance
You reference an article that reports that photons have been quantum-entangled and then sent far apart and remained entangled. I don't see how this could ever help someone transmit information faster than the speed of light.
Last edited by MarkBour on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Goldfain

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14006
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 am

MarkBour wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm
coffeesippin wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm
I hope the NASA National Security Advisors are more up to date than a couple of participants here .. the Chinese are set to get non-local communication going soon. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06 ... d-distance
You quote an article that reports that photons have been quantum-entangled and then sent far apart and remained entangled. I don't see how this could ever help someone transmit information faster than the speed of light.
Indeed. Quantum entanglement provides opportunities for perfect encryption, but it does not violate the constraint on how fast information can be transmitted. It does not allow faster than light communications.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 17663
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by bystander » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 am
MarkBour wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm
coffeesippin wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm
I hope the NASA National Security Advisors are more up to date than a couple of participants here .. the Chinese are set to get non-local communication going soon. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06 ... d-distance
You quote an article that reports that photons have been quantum-entangled and then sent far apart and remained entangled. I don't see how this could ever help someone transmit information faster than the speed of light.
Indeed. Quantum entanglement provides opportunities for perfect encryption, but it does not violate the constraint on how fast information can be transmitted. It does not allow faster than light communications.
Well, there's no telling what those National Security Advisors at NASA are doing. They are a pretty secretive bunch of people. In fact, I'm not sure how coffesippin even knows about them.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

CoffeeSippin

Re: APOD: M15: Dense Globular Star Cluster (2018 Oct 17)

Post by CoffeeSippin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

bystander wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 am

Well, there's no telling what those National Security Advisors at NASA are doing. They are a pretty secretive bunch of people. In fact, I'm not sure how coffesippin even knows about them.
We're sippin' coffee of course.