APOD: Io Eclipse Shadow on Jupiter from Juno (2019 Oct 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Io Eclipse Shadow on Jupiter from Juno (2019 Oct 07)

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:05 am

TheOtherBruce wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 pm
Ann wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 am It has long been known that Saturn has a rocky core, and it has long been suspected that Jupiter may not have one.

So, because I'm too lazy to google, would someone enlighten me as to why Jupiter doesn't seem to have a rocky core?
The Wikipedia page on Jupiter suggests any original core could have been eroded by convection currents of liquid metallic hydrogen; there might or might not be anything left of it. As always, though, we need more data to figure it out for sure.

One of the fascinating points for me is that the actual gaseous atmosphere of Jupiter appears to be just a thin top layer, like the Earth's atmosphere. The deep regions outside the core (if there is one) are metallic hydrogen, compressed until it behaves like a metal, even though it's hot enough to be a liquid. In between it's a kind of fluid, not really gas or liquid, just getting denser as you go deeper. No weirder than the Earth's internal structure, I suppose.
Thanks, OtherBruce!

I guess Jupiter is a little bit like the Sun, then. The Sun most definitely contains enough silicon, nickel, iron and other stuff to form a big solid core inside. But for now we have every reason to believe that the Sun is gaseous through and through. When the Sun eventually becomes a white dwarf, I guess it will be partly solid.

Admittedly Jupiter is mostly liquid and not gaseous, which makes it quite unlike the present-day Sun. Or maybe I should say that most of Jupiter is fluid, not liquid.

Ann
Color Commentator

soynelson
Asternaut

Post by soynelson » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 am

Aquí está la explicación:
"La NASA señaló que la imagen en color mejorada del punto negro gigante fue creada por el científico ciudadano Kevin M. Gill utilizando datos del generador de imágenes JunoCam de Juno. La imagen fue capturada el 11 de septiembre de 2019, cuando Juno estaba a unas 4,885 millas sobre las nubes de Júpiter."
O sea, una "composición" (desastrosa).
Aquí otra "joyita" de Kevin M. Gill para quien guste de ellas:
https://d2xkkdgjnsfvb0.cloudfront.net/V ... 1557760266
Si esto se parece a Júpiter, yo soy carmelita descalzo. Que me disculpen quienes no compartan.
Saludos.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am

No news about eclipse winds etc on Jupiter?

John

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 am

JohnD wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am
No news about eclipse winds etc on Jupiter?
Eclipse winds?

The Earth is bathed in sunlight 25x stronger
yet I don't hear much about eclipse winds on Earth.
Art Neuendorffer

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:50 pm

No, you're right neufer. I've read of the chill that observers feel during an eclipse, and meteorologists have studied the undoubted effects on cloud and temperarture (https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d ... .tb06481.x) and atmospheric 'gravity waves' have been observed (https://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/8/5205/ ... -2008.html) Eclipse winds have been reported at ground level and higher in the atmosphere(https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00575102)
Io's shadow on Jupiter is slightly larger than that of the Moon on Earth, so effects might be expected. have they been looked for?
John