APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3721
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:05 am

Image Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache on Mars

Explanation: Why is there clay on Mars? On Earth, clay can form at the bottom of a peaceful lake when specific minerals trap water. At the pictured site on Mars, the robotic rover Curiosity drilled into two rocks and found the highest concentration of clay yet. The clay cache is considered addition evidence that Gale Crater once held water in the distant past. Pictured, 57 images taken by Curiosity have been combined into a selfie. The images were taken by a camera at the end of its robotic arm. Many details of the car-sized rover are visible, including its rugged wheels, numerous scientific instruments, and a high mast that contains camera "eyes", one of which can shoot out an infrared laser beam. Curiosity continues to roll around and up Mount Sharp -- in the center of Gale Crater -- in a search for new clues about the ancient history of Mars and whether or not the red planet once had conditions that could support life.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 18990
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by bystander » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:13 am

Newest selfie: viewtopic.php?t=39934
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

kennedy70

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by kennedy70 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 am

It looks like Curiosity was designed by a team of engineers, and not a team of architects.

De58te
Science Officer
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by De58te » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 am

At first I thought this was the selfie that NASA released a couple of days ago, but then what happened to Glen Etive 2? There were supposed to be two drill holes. Then comparing this with NASA's picture, https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8536/new-sel ... /?site=msl the flat rock slabs are also different. In NASA's picture there are two distinct rectangular rock slabs on the right side of the right middle wheel. Also the horizon looks different. Then I noticed that the dates were different. NASA's selfie was taken on October 11, while this one was taken in May.

Conrad12n
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by Conrad12n » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:49 am

:roll: Tongue in cheek reply to kennedy70. My daddy always told me "form follows function in design".

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 pm

kennedy70 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 am
It looks like Curiosity was designed by a team of engineers, and not a team of architects.
It was. Function is way more important than form at this point in our exploration of Mars.
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Seems like Mars has the material needed for construction! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bls0326
Ensign
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by bls0326 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Clicking on the APOD picture, then zooming in (click the +) on it shows incredible detail of the Rover and the Martian landscape.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16427
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Bash on Mars

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Explanation: Why is Mars made of green clay? On Earth, clay can form at the bottom of a peaceful lake when specific minerals trap water. At the pictured site on Mars, the robotic rover Curiosity drilled into two rocks and found the highest concentration of clay yet. This clay bash is considered addition evidence that Gale Crater once held water in the distant past. The images were taken by a camera at the end of its robotic arm. Curiosity continues to roll around and up Mount Sharp -- in the center of Gale Crater -- in a search for new clues about the ancient history of Mars and whether or not the green planet once had conditions that could support non-clay life as well.
Art Neuendorffer

daddyo
Ensign
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 am

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by daddyo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 pm
kennedy70 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 am
It looks like Curiosity was designed by a team of engineers, and not a team of architects.
It was. Function is way more important than form at this point in our exploration of Mars.
Here's how an architect would get to Mars
Image

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2152
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 pm

daddyo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 pm
kennedy70 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 am
It looks like Curiosity was designed by a team of engineers, and not a team of architects.
It was. Function is way more important than form at this point in our exploration of Mars.
Here's how an architect would get to Mars
Image
A bridge way, way too far. :lol2:
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

TheOtherBruce
Ensign
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by TheOtherBruce » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:04 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:05 pm
daddyo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm
Here's how an architect would get to Mars
Image
A bridge way, way too far. :lol2:
A Transspacial Tunnel, Hurrah! :wink:
This universe shipped by weight, not by volume.
Some expansion of the contents may have occurred during shipment.

pgp566
Asternaut
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by pgp566 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 am

Astonishing. It's truly amazing what NASA has achieved. If not convinced, take a look a the full res image.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Bash on Mars

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:01 am

neufer wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm
Explanation: Why is Mars made of green clay? On Earth, clay can form at the bottom of a peaceful lake when specific minerals trap water. At the pictured site on Mars, the robotic rover Curiosity drilled into two rocks and found the highest concentration of clay yet. This clay bash is considered addition evidence that Gale Crater once held water in the distant past. The images were taken by a camera at the end of its robotic arm. Curiosity continues to roll around and up Mount Sharp -- in the center of Gale Crater -- in a search for new clues about the ancient history of Mars and whether or not the green planet once had conditions that could support non-clay life as well.
You're killing me, Art! :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Curiosity Rover Finds a Clay Cache... (2019 Oct 29)

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:07 am

daddyo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 pm
kennedy70 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 am
It looks like Curiosity was designed by a team of engineers, and not a team of architects.
It was. Function is way more important than form at this point in our exploration of Mars.
Here's how an architect would get to Mars
Image

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
It would have to be a very flexible extra-stretch bridge! :lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator