APOD: The Snows of Churyumov-Gerasimenko (2020 Mar 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Snows of Churyumov-Gerasimenko (2020 Mar 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:06 am

Image The Snows of Churyumov-Gerasimenko

Explanation: You couldn't really be caught in this blizzard while standing by a cliff on Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Orbiting the comet -- frequently abbreviated as 67P or CG -- in June of 2016, the Rosetta spacecraft's narrow angle camera did record streaks of dust and ice particles -- similar to snow -- as they drifted across the field of view near the camera and above the comet's surface. Some of the bright specks in the scene, however, are likely due to a rain of energetic charged particles or cosmic rays hitting the camera, and the dense background of stars in the direction of the constellation of the Big Dog (Canis Major). In the featured video, these background stars are easy to spot trailing from top to bottom. The stunning movie was constructed from 33 consecutive images taken over 25 minutes while Rosetta cruised some 13 kilometers from the comet's nucleus.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: The Snows of Churyumov-Gerasimenko (2020 Mar 15)

Post by neufer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:42 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/67P/Churyumov%E2%80%93Gerasimenko wrote:
Churyumov-Gerasimenko consists of two lobes connected by a narrower neck, with the larger lobe measuring about 4.1 km × 3.3 km × 1.8 km and the smaller one about 2.6 km × 2.3 km × 1.8 km.
Ernest Hemingway (The Snows of Kilimanjaro) wrote:
Kilimanjaro is a snow covered mountain 19,710 feet [6.0 km] high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the MasaP "Ngdje Ngdi," the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.
Art Neuendorffer

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:11 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:42 am
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/67P/Churyumov%E2%80%93Gerasimenko wrote:
Churyumov-Gerasimenko consists of two lobes connected by a narrower neck, with the larger lobe measuring about 4.1 km × 3.3 km × 1.8 km and the smaller one about 2.6 km × 2.3 km × 1.8 km.
Ernest Hemingway (The Snows of Kilimanjaro) wrote:
Kilimanjaro is a snow covered mountain 19,710 feet [6.0 km] high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the MasaP "Ngdje Ngdi," the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude.
Probably the Not " Yeti" for Prime Time Players!
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Rain; Snow; Cosmic dust; do we really know for sure? :shock: :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 pm

As long a Kilimanjaro has been mentioned, I might brag that in 1969 I 'climbed' (it is an easy walk) Kilimanjaro. (That was just after having hitch-hiked across the Sahara desert; and just before going down the Nile on a barge. Fun!

daddyo
Science Officer

Post by daddyo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 am

Incredible video. That was a really fun mission to watch.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:54 am

heehaw wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 pm As long a Kilimanjaro has been mentioned, I might brag that in 1969 I 'climbed' (it is an easy walk) Kilimanjaro. (That was just after having hitch-hiked across the Sahara desert; and just before going down the Nile on a barge. Fun!
Sounds fantastic, heehaw! :D Where is the "mountaineer" (or at least the "Kilimanjaro") emoticon?

I'd like to add that I found the video fascinating to watch.

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Ann wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:54 am
heehaw wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 pm
As long a Kilimanjaro has been mentioned, I might brag that in 1969 I 'climbed' (it is an easy walk) Kilimanjaro. (That was just after having hitch-hiked across the Sahara desert; and just before going down the Nile on a barge. Fun!
Sounds fantastic, heehaw! :D
Kilimanjaro is a snow covered mountain 19,710 feet [6.0 km] high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called the MasaP "Ngdje Ngdi," the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of heehaw. No one has explained what heehaw was seeking at that altitude.
Art Neuendorffer