APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:05 am

Image M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center

Explanation: What's happening in the center of nearby spiral galaxy M77? The face-on galaxy lies a mere 47 million light-years away toward the constellation of the Sea Monster (Cetus). At that estimated distance, this gorgeous island universe is about 100 thousand light-years across. Also known as NGC 1068, its compact and very bright core is well studied by astronomers exploring the mysteries of supermassive black holes in active Seyfert galaxies. M77 and its active core glows bright at x-ray, ultraviolet, visible, infrared, and radio wavelengths. The featured sharp image of M77 was taken by the Hubble Space Telescope and is dominated by the (visible) red light emitted by hydrogen. The image shows details of the spiral's winding spiral arms as traced by obscuring dust clouds, and red-tinted star forming regions close in to the galaxy's luminous core.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:18 am





















I was not too happy with today's APOD, but I really recommend the version of it posted on our esteemed Starship Asterisk* member Geck's (Geckzilla, Judy Schmidt's) flickr page. In my opinion, the picture looks much better and more impressive there.

My own favorite picture of M77 is probably ESO's version at right. The filters used for the image were 440 nm (blue), 557 nm (yellow-green), 655 nm (red) and 656 nm (H-alpha). This is a great choice of filters for an optical color picture of M77. Note that we get a good idea of the presence of H-alpha in M77 even in the ESO image.

I must say, however, that now that I have posted these two pictures next to one another, I like the APOD much better than I did. I think the wide angle view of M77 puts the APOD into perspective.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5355
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Oh; Ann I like it a lot! As a matter of fact; I'd like to use it as a background for a day! ✨
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TheZuke!
Science Officer
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by TheZuke! » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Is the "bump" off to the right a satellite / dwarf galaxy?

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:37 pm

TheZuke! wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm
Is the "bump" off to the right a satellite / dwarf galaxy?
Star formation in M77.png
You mean this bump? That's a region of star formation. You can see a few blue star clusters inside, surrounded by red gas structures. A whitish patch "below" the blue star clusters shows where brand new stars are about to break through their gaseous cocoon.

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Color Commentator

sillyworm 2

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by sillyworm 2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Going back ,through a few of the included links,I was reading about Cygnus X1.I have read about spinning black holes before.I just can't wrap my mind around an object spinning 790 times a second! How is that even possible?

sillyworm 2

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by sillyworm 2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:17 pm

I understand how matter surrounding a black hole can spin fast.I don't understand how the black hole itself spins 790 times a second.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14907
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:28 pm

sillyworm 2 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:17 pm
I understand how matter surrounding a black hole can spin fast.I don't understand how the black hole itself spins 790 times a second.
Take something the size of a star that spins once every few hours, and shrink it down to a few miles across, what else can you get? The only thing that limits how fast something can rotate is it's material strength... and nothing is as materially strong as a black hole. They cannot break apart at any rotational speed.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Bill Bruehl

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by Bill Bruehl » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:57 pm

How deep is it down to the center of M77 in light years? AND do we know if the matter turned energy in that black hole explodes out of our universe? ty :ssmile:

TheZuke!
Science Officer
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by TheZuke! » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Ann wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:37 pm
TheZuke! wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm
Is the "bump" off to the right a satellite / dwarf galaxy?
Star formation in M77.png
You mean this bump? That's a region of star formation. You can see a few blue star clusters inside, surrounded by red gas structures. A whitish patch "below" the blue star clusters shows where brand new stars are about to break through their gaseous cocoon.

Ann
Yes, that "bump"!
Thanks Ann.

(now if your last name was Strom... Ann(g) Strom, it would truly fit the angstrom symbol of your avatar!) :ssmile:

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: M77: Spiral Galaxy with an Active Center (2020 Mar 17)

Post by Ann » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:51 pm

TheZuke! wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:51 pm
Ann wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:37 pm
TheZuke! wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm
Is the "bump" off to the right a satellite / dwarf galaxy?
Star formation in M77.png
You mean this bump? That's a region of star formation. You can see a few blue star clusters inside, surrounded by red gas structures. A whitish patch "below" the blue star clusters shows where brand new stars are about to break through their gaseous cocoon.

Ann
Yes, that "bump"!
Thanks Ann.

(now if your last name was Strom... Ann(g) Strom, it would truly fit the angstrom symbol of your avatar!) :ssmile:
Ann Ström, Digital Product Manager
No, my name is not Strom (it would have been "Ström" in Swedish. And Ångstrom himself was of course really named Ångström).

The woman in the picture is really named Ann Ström. I'm nowhere near as elegant as her!!!

Ann (not Strom/Ström)
Color Commentator