APOD: Novel Coronavirus Attacks Humanity (2020 Jun 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
rj rl
Ensign

Re: APOD: Novel Coronavirus Attacks Humanity (2020 Jun 02)

Post by rj rl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:29 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:33 pm
Some people need to get a life, or build their own apod site, if they can't deal with an editor tossing out something of general scientific interest, not just astronomy, a few times a year.
ditto.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:02 am

Since I am one of those who were not happy with the Coronavirus APOD, I just want to add that the APOD and Starship Asterisk* are very important to me. I dread the day when the editors of this site give up and throw in the towel.

Thank you for posting new APODs for us every day!

Ann
Color Commentator

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm
TheZuke! wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:08 pm
wilhuf wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Authors have hypothesized that some viruses arrived from meteors, and exist in low orbit over earth. It would be interesting to see a link to a report on this.
Another theory on the origin of virii is that they devolved from more complex organisms.
That is seen in a salmon virus that has vestiges of eyes.
A virus is a sort of parasite. It depends entirely on other organisms in order to propagate itself. So it seems like something that would have only evolved after the more complex organisms it depends upon. Either evolving from those organisms, or from scratch. I can believe a living microorganism might arrive on a meteorite, but a virus seems very unlikely (unless it is from someplace like Mars, already hosting a nucleic acid based system of life).
Okay, my memory may have fooled me on this one, when I first read about the salmon parasite, I thought it was describing a virus,
here is a link to what the parasite I was referring to (I think) :(

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 pm

Update: (And if you look at the big picture, it can give some added appropriateness to posting about the Coronavirus on a site like APOD.)

I've been watching this landmark approach for a while. All of the following numbers are roughly round numbers at this point. Worldwide, 10 million confirmed cases, 500 thousand deaths. (The U.S. having a 25% share of both totals, with 2.5 million cases and 125 thousand deaths.) These reported amounts have been consistent in that the number of deaths is around 5% of confirmed cases for a while now.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

These numbers are grim and horrifying to me.

Unless humanity has a medical breakthrough, the mathematics point to some harsh realities about our future. 500 thousand deaths in 6 months will only slightly slow population growth, which was recently estimated at 230 thousand per day (390 thousand births per day minus 160 thousand deaths per day.) However, this virus has got our attention. Interestingly, our changes in behavior, designed to slow the number of deaths, might actually do more to slow population growth. There's no avoiding that the number of births and deaths will have to match up at some point.

When I think about this in terms of APOD, it is like a report on a planet. I'm reminded of that beautiful song by Julie Gold, "From a Distance", recorded by Bette Midler.
Mark Goldfain