APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3987
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:06 am

Image Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps

Explanation: Comet NEOWISE has been wowing photographers around much of the world during dawn and dusk, at the margins of day and night. For the most northern residents of planet Earth, however, the comet circles the North Star and never sets. The night part of this circular arc is apparent in the featured composite of images assembled from a webcam located at a ski resort in the Swiss Alps. Images were selected at 30-minute intervals throughout the night from July 12th -13th. Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) will continue to become more accessible to northern hemisphere observers as its motion places it higher in the sky each evening after sunset over the next few weeks, as it begins its outbound journey. As with all comets, departure from the inner Solar System comes with inevitable fading. Binoculars are the best way to find and observe the comet visually.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

NeowiseAlps_salzgeber_960.jpg

Wow! Very interesting photo; shows 10 days of comet Neowise; but,
also city lights winding along through the mountains! Makes for a
beautiful scenic picture! :D 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm
NeowiseAlps_salzgeber_960.jpg
Wow! Very interesting photo; shows 10 days of comet Neowise; but,
also city lights winding along through the mountains! Makes for a
beautiful scenic picture! :D 8-)
Um, not 10 days Orin, but only 4.5 hrs on the same night friend. The explanation says "images were selected at 30 minute intervals throughout the night of July 12th - 13th."
Last edited by BDanielMayfield on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17244
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Wow! Very interesting photo; shows 10 days of comet Neowise; but,
also city lights winding along through the mountains! Makes for a
beautiful scenic picture! :D 8-)
"Images were selected at 30-minute intervals throughout the night from July 12th -13th."
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm
NeowiseAlps_salzgeber_960.jpg
Wow! Very interesting photo; shows 10 days of comet Neowise; but,
also city lights winding along through the mountains! Makes for a
beautiful scenic picture! :D 8-)
Um, not 10 days Orin, but only 4.5 hrs on the same night friend. The explanation says "images were selected at 30 minute intervals throughout the night of July 12th - 13th."
I stand corrected; 10 photos of Neowise; Still very nice!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:47 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:09 pm
NeowiseAlps_salzgeber_960.jpg
Wow! Very interesting photo; shows 10 days of comet Neowise; but,
also city lights winding along through the mountains! Makes for a
beautiful scenic picture! :D 8-)
Um, not 10 days Orin, but only 4.5 hrs on the same night friend. The explanation says "images were selected at 30 minute intervals throughout the night of July 12th - 13th."
I stand corrected; 10 photos of Neowise; Still very nice!
Yes very nice. It dramatically shows how quickly this object is sweeping across our skies.
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5555
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:53 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:47 pm


Yes very nice. It dramatically shows how quickly this object is sweeping across our skies.
Sometimes I don't always read the whole explanation; (Bad habit) and presume 2-much! :oops:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:47 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm


Um, not 10 days Orin, but only 4.5 hrs on the same night friend. The explanation says "images were selected at 30 minute intervals throughout the night of July 12th - 13th."
I stand corrected; 10 photos of Neowise; Still very nice!
Yes very nice. It dramatically shows how quickly this object is sweeping across our skies.
Does it? This comet is somewhat unusual in just how slowly it is "sweeping across our skies". It's been in the same constellation for a long time now. It can be imaged for a long time and it barely moves against the background stars. All we're seeing here is the motion of the sky created by five hours of the Earth's rotation. The comet hasn't moved significantly over that interval at all.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17244
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:47 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm

I stand corrected; 10 photos of Neowise; Still very nice!
Yes very nice. It dramatically shows how quickly this object is sweeping across our skies.
Does it? This comet is somewhat unusual in just how slowly it is "sweeping across our skies". It's been in the same constellation for a long time now. It can be imaged for a long time and it barely moves against the background stars. All we're seeing here is the motion of the sky created by five hours of the Earth's rotation. The comet hasn't moved significantly over that interval at all.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Broom star NEOWISE is "sweeping across our skies" at 4 to 5 degrees per second.

That is twice the rate of the last bright broom star Hale–Bopp.

The Sun often takes a month to cross a constellation.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm

neufer wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:47 pm


Yes very nice. It dramatically shows how quickly this object is sweeping across our skies.
Does it? This comet is somewhat unusual in just how slowly it is "sweeping across our skies". It's been in the same constellation for a long time now. It can be imaged for a long time and it barely moves against the background stars. All we're seeing here is the motion of the sky created by five hours of the Earth's rotation. The comet hasn't moved significantly over that interval at all.
Broom star NEOWISE is "sweeping across our skies" at 4 to 5 degrees per second.
Not sure what you mean by that.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17244
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:23 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
neufer wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm

This comet is somewhat unusual in just how slowly it is "sweeping across our skies". It's been in the same constellation for a long time now. It can be imaged for a long time and it barely moves against the background stars.
Broom star NEOWISE is "sweeping across our skies" at 4 to 5 degrees per second.
Not sure what you mean by that.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 pm

neufer wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
neufer wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Broom star NEOWISE is "sweeping across our skies" at 4 to 5 degrees per second.
Not sure what you mean by that.
I still don't know what you mean by that.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17244
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 pm

I still don't know what you mean by that.
  • The Moon passes through 13 constellations in a month.

    The Sun passes through 1 constellation in a month.

    Bright comets pass through a few constellation in a month.

    Comet NEOWISE is a typical bright comet.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:35 pm

neufer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:28 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 pm

I still don't know what you mean by that.
  • The Moon passes through 13 constellations in a month.

    The Sun passes through 1 constellation in a month.

    Bright comets pass through a few constellation in a month.

    Comet NEOWISE is a typical bright comet.
NEOWISE is moving much more slowly across the sky than most comets. That's all I was pointing out. What I did not understand at all was your comment "4 to 5 degrees per second".
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17244
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:35 pm

NEOWISE is moving much more slowly across the sky than most comets. That's all I was pointing out.

What I did not understand at all was your comment "4 to 5 degrees per second".
You should have been more specific.

I had meant to say "4 to 5 degrees per day".

This seems typical to me (with the exception of Comet Hyakutake).
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm

neufer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:35 pm

NEOWISE is moving much more slowly across the sky than most comets. That's all I was pointing out.

What I did not understand at all was your comment "4 to 5 degrees per second".
You should have been more specific.

I had meant to say "4 to 5 degrees per day".

This seems typical to me (with the exception of Comet Hyakutake).
Well, I've been imaging comets for a long time, and this is the first one in recent memory that I could make long exposures on without tracking on the comet, because it is moving so slowly with respect to the background stars. Several minute exposures with normal sidereal tracking work just fine.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17244
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm
neufer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:35 pm

NEOWISE is moving much more slowly across the sky than most comets. That's all I was pointing out.

What I did not understand at all was your comment "4 to 5 degrees per second".
You should have been more specific.

I had meant to say "4 to 5 degrees per day".

This seems typical to me (with the exception of Comet Hyakutake).
Well, I've been imaging comets for a long time, and this is the first one in recent memory that I could make long exposures on without tracking on the comet, because it is moving so slowly with respect to the background stars. Several minute exposures with normal sidereal tracking work just fine.
Well, it's probably the first (northern hemisphere) comet for a long time that was bright enough that it only required an exposure of several minutes (during which it moved but a small fraction of its larger size).
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE over the Swiss Alps (2020 Jul 15)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:29 pm

neufer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:02 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 pm
neufer wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm

You should have been more specific.

I had meant to say "4 to 5 degrees per day".

This seems typical to me (with the exception of Comet Hyakutake).
Well, I've been imaging comets for a long time, and this is the first one in recent memory that I could make long exposures on without tracking on the comet, because it is moving so slowly with respect to the background stars. Several minute exposures with normal sidereal tracking work just fine.
Well, it's probably the first (northern hemisphere) comet for a long time that was bright enough that it only required an exposure of several minutes (during which it moved but a small fraction of its larger size).
No, lots of comets that are too dim to see visually still just require a few minutes exposure to get something good. And this comet can easily be images for many minutes to bring out detail.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com