APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4076
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:05 am

Image Churning Clouds on Jupiter

Explanation: Where is Jupiter's ammonia? Gaseous ammonia was expected to be seen in Jupiter's upper atmosphere by the orbiting Juno spacecraft -- but in many clouds is almost absent. Recent Juno data, however, gives some clues: some high-level clouds appear to be home to an unexpected type of electrical discharge dubbed shallow lightning. Great charge separations are needed for lightning, which might be created by colliding mushballs lifted by rising updrafts of gas. Ammonia and water stick to these mushballs which rise until they get too heavy -- after which they fall deep into Jupiter's atmosphere and melt. By this process, ammonia found missing from <a hre="ap200106.html">Jupiter's upper atmosphere</a> reappears below. Pictured by Juno, churning clouds on Jupiter show not only mesmerizing complexity but some high-level, light-colored pop-up clouds. Understanding atmospheric dynamics on Jupiter gives valuable perspective to similar atmospheric and lightning phenomena that occur on our home Earth.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Rohan

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by Rohan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:36 am

Cloudy with a chance of mushballs ...

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 10820
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by Ann » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:54 am

Mushballs and pop-up clouds. Yes, Jupiter is a different world.

And we are here. It is so extraordinary when you think of it.

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17521
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by neufer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:45 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiing-Shen_Chern wrote:
<<Shiing-Shen Chern (October 28, 1911 – December 3, 2004) was a Chinese-American mathematician and poet. He made fundamental contributions to differential geometry and topology. He has been called the "father of modern differential geometry" and is widely regarded as a leader in geometry and one of the greatest mathematicians of the twentieth century.>>
  • Hail to Chern! Mathematics Greatest!
    He made Gauss-Bonnet a household word,
    Intrinsic proofs he found,
    Throughout the World his truths abound,
    Chern classes he gave us,
    and Secondary Invariants,
    Fibre Bundles and Sheaves,
    Distributions and Foliated Leaves!
    All Hail All Hail to CHERN.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 20396
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Fossilnole

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by Fossilnole » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:29 pm

As a zoologist, I saw a great likeness of an octopus at lower center of this image. Great stuff.

NCTom

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by NCTom » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:33 pm

I am more familiar with the atmospheric belts of Jupiter. What is the region we are seeing? One of the poles?

User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 20396
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm

NCTom wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:33 pm

I am more familiar with the atmospheric belts of Jupiter. What is the region we are seeing? One of the poles?
PIA23803 wrote:
... At the time the image was taken, the spacecraft was about 5,375 miles (8,650 kilometers) from Jupiter's cloud tops at a latitude of about 50 degrees North. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Phobos1
Asternaut
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by Phobos1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Is that a nearly polar view? Those clouds look nothing like bands you see near the equator.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Science Officer
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:20 pm

neufer wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:45 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiing-Shen_Chern wrote:
<<Shiing-Shen Chern (October 28, 1911 – December 3, 2004) was a Chinese-American mathematician and poet. He made fundamental contributions to differential geometry and topology. He has been called the "father of modern differential geometry" and is widely regarded as a leader in geometry and one of the greatest mathematicians of the twentieth century.>>
  • Hail to Chern! Mathematics Greatest!
    He made Gauss-Bonnet a household word,
    Intrinsic proofs he found,
    Throughout the World his truths abound,
    Chern classes he gave us,
    and Secondary Invariants,
    Fibre Bundles and Sheaves,
    Distributions and Foliated Leaves!
    All Hail All Hail to CHERN.
You've lost me yet again. Did "Churning Clouds" really lead you to think of this obscure (to me anyway) mathematician named Shiing-Shen Chern?
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2495
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:38 pm

bystander wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm
NCTom wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:33 pm

I am more familiar with the atmospheric belts of Jupiter. What is the region we are seeing? One of the poles?
PIA23803 wrote:
... At the time the image was taken, the spacecraft was about 5,375 miles (8,650 kilometers) from Jupiter's cloud tops at a latitude of about 50 degrees North. ...
Phobos1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm
Is that a nearly polar view? Those clouds look nothing like bands you see near the equator.
Look behind you, Phobos1. Answers sometimes precede questions. :ssmile:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5766
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:42 pm

JupiterChurning_JunoGill_1080.jpg

Jumping Jupiter! Reminds me of old time wallpaper! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15321
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Phobos1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm
Is that a nearly polar view? Those clouds look nothing like bands you see near the equator.
You're looking at about 12,000 km of the surface. Think a coin on a soccer ball.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Science Officer
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Phobos1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm
Is that a nearly polar view? Those clouds look nothing like bands you see near the equator.
You're looking at about 12,000 km of the surface. Think a coin on a soccer ball.
I don't understand. The diameter of Jupiter is 140,000 km. The pic seems to shows the full width of Jupiter, that is, we see both "sides". Oh, wait - light brightening as I write this - is it because we are so close to the surface that the edges of the circular horizon we see don't show the full width?
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

User avatar
johnnydeep
Science Officer
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:38 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Phobos1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm
Is that a nearly polar view? Those clouds look nothing like bands you see near the equator.
You're looking at about 12,000 km of the surface. Think a coin on a soccer ball.
I don't understand. The diameter of Jupiter is 140,000 km. The pic seems to shows the full width of Jupiter, that is, we see both "sides". Oh, wait - light brightening as I write this - is it because we are so close to the surface that the edges of the circular horizon we see don't reflect the full width of the planet?
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15321
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:03 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Phobos1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm
Is that a nearly polar view? Those clouds look nothing like bands you see near the equator.
You're looking at about 12,000 km of the surface. Think a coin on a soccer ball.
I don't understand. The diameter of Jupiter is 140,000 km. The pic seems to shows the full width of Jupiter, that is, we see both "sides". Oh, wait - light brightening as I write this - is it because we are so close to the surface that the edges of the circular horizon we see don't show the full width?
Bingo. The horizon is very close. (We see the same thing on a lot of ISS images of the Earth... it sort of looks like we're seeing the globe of the Earth, but we're really just seeing to a horizon 1000 miles away.)
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Science Officer
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:03 am

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:03 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:52 pm


You're looking at about 12,000 km of the surface. Think a coin on a soccer ball.
I don't understand. The diameter of Jupiter is 140,000 km. The pic seems to shows the full width of Jupiter, that is, we see both "sides". Oh, wait - light brightening as I write this - is it because we are so close to the surface that the edges of the circular horizon we see don't show the full width?
Bingo. The horizon is very close. (We see the same thing on a lot of ISS images of the Earth... it sort of looks like we're seeing the globe of the Earth, but we're really just seeing to a horizon 1000 miles away.)
Cool. I learned something again. Thanks!
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

NCTom

Re: APOD: Churning Clouds on Jupiter (2020 Aug 11)

Post by NCTom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks, everyone. Like Johnnydeep, I have learned something else. That always makes for a worthwhile day, and why this is such a great site!