APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4034
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:07 am

Image A Thousand Meteors

Explanation: Over a thousand meteors flash through the night in this intriguing timelapse video. Starting in April 2019 the individual video frames were selected from 372 relatively clear nights of imaging from an automated wide-field observatory in rural New South Wales Australia. Arranged by local sidereal time, a timekeeping system that uses the positions of stars to measure Earth's rotation, the frames follow the full annual progression of constellations through the wide field of view seen from 33 degrees south latitude. They capture a diverse array of meteors including sporadic meteors, bright fireballs, and shower meteors (plus a lightning sprite), during the period. All frames were processed consistently and so show real variations in the local sky conditions.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

heehaw

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by heehaw » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:46 am

Fabulous! Wonderful! Super indeed!

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 5683
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 pm

I had to look twice, I thought the subject was meters at first! :lol2: Oh; there's an O in there! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

sillyworm 2

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by sillyworm 2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Saw one the other night..just happened to be looking at the sky.Slightly more special than when you're looking on a night of a shower.

De58te
Science Officer
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by De58te » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:01 pm

So in spite of the headline the video was intended to show sidereal time of the Earth's rotation? Nevertheless a thousand meteors seen over 372 nights works out to less than 3 meteors a night! That's about right since that's the most meteors I wind up seeing a night during a meteor shower.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Science Officer
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm

APOD Robot wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:07 am
Image A Thousand Meteors

Explanation: Over a thousand meteors flash through the night in this intriguing timelapse video. Starting in April 2019 the individual video frames were selected from 372 relatively clear nights of imaging from an automated wide-field observatory in rural New South Wales Australia. Arranged by local sidereal time, a timekeeping system that uses the positions of stars to measure Earth's rotation, the frames follow the full annual progression of constellations through the wide field of view seen from 33 degrees south latitude. They capture a diverse array of meteors including sporadic meteors, bright fireballs, and shower meteors (plus a lightning sprite), during the period. All frames were processed consistently and so show real variations in the local sky conditions.
Ok, so it took me a little while to appreciate that "Arranged by local sidereal time" means that the 372 separate night pictures, which were all taken at different times of the day, were reshuffled to appear in local sidereal time order so that we get the illusion of a single day progressing through a rotating starry sky, correct?

Also at 0:52 in the video, what are these two things - I want to say the little one is the SMC, but then the bigger one should be the LMC, but it looks too diffuse:

What Are These.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15236
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:08 pm

De58te wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:01 pm
So in spite of the headline the video was intended to show sidereal time of the Earth's rotation? Nevertheless a thousand meteors seen over 372 nights works out to less than 3 meteors a night! That's about right since that's the most meteors I wind up seeing a night during a meteor shower.
The camera probably captures a dozen or more meteors on most nights, and hundreds per night during showers. That's what I see with mine.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by alter-ego » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm
...
Also at 0:52 in the video, what are these two things - I want to say the little one is the SMC, but then the bigger one should be the LMC, but it looks too diffuse:

What Are These.JPG
The arrow points to the Pleiades, and you've circle contains Orions belt and sword w/ M42.
Remember, constellations are upside down down under. I had a ball identifying familiar constellations when I was in Australia for Halley.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

User avatar
johnnydeep
Science Officer
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:41 pm

alter-ego wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:47 pm
...
Also at 0:52 in the video, what are these two things - I want to say the little one is the SMC, but then the bigger one should be the LMC, but it looks too diffuse:

What Are These.JPG
The arrow points to the Pleiades, and you've circle contains Orions belt and sword w/ M42.
Remember, constellations are upside down down under. I had a ball identifying familiar constellations when I was in Australia for Halley.
Ok, thanks. That makes sense.
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

gvann
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 am

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by gvann » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 pm

I wonder what trees those are. Their foliage seems not to change at all during the year (although the tree in the upper right lost a small branch at some point). So, they must be some kind of evergreens. But they don't look to me like anything that I am familiar with in the northeastern USA.

GV

goatrider
Asternaut
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by goatrider » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:07 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 pm
I had to look twice, I thought the subject was meters at first! :lol2: Oh; there's an O in there! :mrgreen:
So it's a "Kilometeor".

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:08 pm

It is not the USA, it is Australia and you can also see Aldebaran, in the head of Taurus and the Hiades

heehaw

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by heehaw » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 pm


User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: A Thousand Meteors (2020 Sep 12)

Post by alter-ego » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 am

gvann wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 pm
I wonder what trees those are. Their foliage seems not to change at all during the year (although the tree in the upper right lost a small branch at some point). So, they must be some kind of evergreens. But they don't look to me like anything that I am familiar with in the northeastern USA.

GV
Most likely the tree is an evergreen species of Eucalyptus. I recall seeing them all over when I was in Victoria.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist