APOD: Solar Cycle 25 Has Begun (2020 Sep 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Solar Cycle 25 Has Begun (2020 Sep 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:06 am

Image Solar Cycle 25 Has Begun

Explanation: The general trend of monthly sunspot data now confirms that the minimum of the approximately 11 year cycle of solar activity occurred in December 2019, marking the start of Solar Cycle 25. That quiet Sun, at minimum activity, appears on the right of this split hemispherical view. In contrast, the left side shows the active Sun at the recognized maximum of Solar Cycle 24, captured in April 2014. The extreme ultraviolet images from the orbiting Solar Dynamics Observatory highlight coronal loops and active regions in the light of highly ionized iron atoms. Driving the space weather around our fair planet, Solar Cycle 24 was a relatively calm one and predictions are that cycle 25 will be calm too. The cycle 25 activity maximum is expected in July 2025. Solar Cycle 1, the first solar cycle determined from early records of sunspot data, is considered to begin with a minimum in February 1755.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Solar Cycle 25 Has Begun (2020 Sep 17)

Post by bystander » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:48 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm

ig_maxmin.jpg

Quite a difference between max. & min. :mrgreen: Still really hot in the summer even during min!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:59 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:23 pm
Quite a difference between max. & min. :mrgreen:

Still really hot in the summer even during min!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy wrote: <<On June 1, 2017, Trump announced United States withdrawal from the Paris Agreement, causing the U.S. to become the third out of 197 nations worldwide to not sign the agreement. As of 2018 the remaining two nations signed and the U.S. is the only nation that has not ratified the Paris Agreement. Prior to withdrawal, the U.S. had pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 26-28% below 2005 levels by 2025 and assign $3 million in aid to foreign countries combating climate change. Trump opposed the agreement on the grounds that it would compromise U.S. sovereignty and cause many Americans to lose their jobs. Proponents of the agreement argue, however, that backing out will result in a loss for our economy as new green jobs are offered instead to competitors overseas.

On August 21, 2018, the Trump administration announced plans to cut back Obama's coal emissions standards for coal-fired power plants, calling them "overly prescriptive and burdensome." The Trump plan increases the leeway given states to make their own decisions on coal emission standards, saying it "empowers states, promotes energy independence, and facilitates economic growth and job creation." Critics say the proposal would allow states to run and extend the life of older less efficient power plants and use less stringent emission guidelines for establishing new plants. Established under the Obama administration, Landscape conservation cooperatives (LCC) are research centers that address broad issues such as flooding, species extinction, and climate change. When Trump entered office he eliminated LCC funding in his budget proposals. In April 2019, it was reported that while Congress had set aside funding for LCC projects, the Trump administration had either closed 16 of the 22 research centers or put them on indefinite hiatus.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 am

I'M against Global warming also! I don't believe the US is solely responsible! Now don't be mad because that is the way I feel! I will no longer respond to world problems that all mankind have a responsibility for! Not one man is responsible for it! Well maybe me; I got a fire pit I use to burn tree dead branches! Anybody else have any input; feel free!
I don't believe in abortion either!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Oh! My reply was deleted! That's OK; I'm not a fighter anyway; just a tired old man ready to meet his maker! Good luck Art!
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Yeah, I deleted it, and I missed Art's previous post.
Let's leave all the politics and bible burnings to Ten Forward.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:03 pm

bystander wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:55 pm
Yeah, I deleted it, and I missed Art's previous post.
You missed Orin's "abortion" post.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Quit pushing buttons, Art!
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
bystander wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:05 pm
Quit pushing buttons, Art!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button wrote:
<<Koumpounophobia, the fear of buttons, is a surprisingly common phobia. Sufferers frequently report being repulsed by the sight of buttons, even on other people, and being unable to wear clothing with them. Sufferers also report buttons being dirty and smelling. The phobia may bear some passing resemblance to trypophobia and obsessive–compulsive disorder, but is separate and distinct.

The mainly American tradition of politically significant clothing buttons appears to have begun with the first presidential inauguration of George Washington in 1789. Known to collectors as "Washington Inaugurals", they were made of copper, brass or Sheffield plate, in large sizes for coats and smaller sizes for breeches.>>
Art Neuendorffer